Madrid 2020

Discussing any strengths/weaknesses of the declared bids will be moot if Durban steps in. So I would suspend any qualitative assessments until Sept 1 when we know the complete cast.

Agreed. If Durban dives into the pool at the last second it will change everything.

This is what I had said already earlier in the thread. And how this whole discussion on Flamenco got started. Flamenco also has Moorish influences. And is part of the reason why I don't view it as totally "Spanish". Especially when Andalusia was ruled by the Moors for centuries. It was totally different from Castile.

Ah who cares. It's in Spain, it's Spanish. Nobody thinks it's French.

Sorry for repeating it. I skipped parts of the thread where OTO was involved.

You claimed to have me on ignore. It's obvious you still read what I post.

Cadiz -- for yachting. And maybe one of the soccer sites.

Cadiz is for yatchin or Valencia ??? i wish Cadiz but i think it is Valencia, tell me more information about it if u can

I already corrected myself. It is Valencia...but it doesn't matter if Durban steps into the race.

ahh cool!!! well who knows... lets wait and see what happen!! :-)

Still its three hours away it might be a weak link for the bid.

Well, Athan has just said it's quicker than that with High Speed Rail. Besides which, Sailing is always going to be out on a limb unless a coastal city is hosting the Games, that's just the way it is and it really shouldn't damage a bid's chances.

It's going to be over three hours from central London to the 2012 Sailing venue (going by train times from Waterloo to Weymouth). Beijing's Sailing venue was 6 hours away and that was by high speed rail (getting on for 1000km away). Atlanta's sailing was well over 4 hours drive away according to Google.

Cities like Sydney, Athens and Rio are lucky in the sense that they have coastal areas nearby.

In short, it's a nice bonus if you can host sailing near the host city, but it's not a problem if there is a distance between the host city and the sailing venue. Plenty of host cities in the past have had sailing a fair distance away and plenty more will in the future.

Discussing any strengths/weaknesses of the declared bids will be moot if Durban steps in. So I would suspend any qualitative assessments until Sept 1 when we know the complete cast.

Erm, why?

Just because you happen to think Durban would be unbeatable, doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss the merits of the other bids. What a weird post (even for you ;))

Edited by RobH
  • Like 3

N rols, where did you guys host those 'filthy horses' for Sydney? Can't recall at the moment.

Somewhere in Sydney's western suburbs - we're used to quarantining our trash out west.

;)

Actually, maybe it's coincidence - but it would sure make a good consiracy theory. But we've had a few outbreaks of Equine Influenza here in the past few years. Can't remember that ever happening in Oz prior to 2000!

Edited by Sir Rols

Former Spanish handball player David Barrufet (bronze medal at the Sydney 2000 and Beijing 2008 Olympics) will be candidate for the IOC Athletes Commission next year. If he succeeds, Spain will have 4 people within the IOC supporting Madrid 2020 by the time of the 2013 IOC Session.

Former Spanish handball player David Barrufet (bronze medal at the Sydney 2000 and Beijing 2008 Olympics) will be candidate for the IOC Athletes Commission next year. If he succeeds, Spain will have 4 people within the IOC supporting Madrid 2020 by the time of the 2013 IOC Session.

Well...

#1 - if he wins a spot, there are usually, what? about a dozen candidates for 3 spots?

#2 - the 4 Spanish members CANNOT vote until Madrid eliminated... ;)

There was a bid in the last 2 opportunities.

Some people are disillusioned and frustrated. It is normal any group are against the candidature.

That's not a problem, the illusion will grow as the months pass.

Madrid has a big illusion for the sport and the olypic movement.

the 4 Spanish members CANNOT vote until Madrid eliminated... ;)

But there would be 4 influential people that could make others vote for Madrid, similar to Italy's influential members and totally the opposite of Turkey or Japan. I think it's good for the bid.

There are already groups against the bid

Link

Yes, there are. I can understand their point when they talk about the economic situation, but the only serious signature collection I've found started 1 week/10 days ago, and yesterday there were only 200 signatures (they need 25,000). I think quite more than a half of Madrid citizens do want the Games, but of course there will always be people against the bid. It happened to Vancouver 2010, for example, and they still got the Games, so as long as the bid gets more than 60% of public support, I won't give much importance to them.

But there would be 4 influential people that could make others vote for Madrid, similar to Italy's influential members and totally the opposite of Turkey or Japan. I think it's good for the bid.

Yes, there are. I can understand their point when they talk about the economic situation, but the only serious signature collection I've found started 1 week/10 days ago, and yesterday there were only 200 signatures (they need 25,000). I think quite more than a half of Madrid citizens do want the Games, but of course there will always be people against the bid. It happened to Vancouver 2010, for example, and they still got the Games, so as long as the bid gets more than 60% of public support, I won't give much importance to them.

Not an issue but troubling.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading news about the Pope visit in Madrid of these days and they tell about those indignados protesting the costs to set up the event.

Makes you wonder how they're going react to the approaching multi-billionaire bid.

I was reading news about the Pope visit in Madrid of these days and they tell about those indignados protesting the costs to set up the event.

Makes you wonder how they're going react to the approaching multi-billionaire bid.

Well, in this case they are protesting a religious event costing money to the state.

• Like 1