Berlin 2020, Munich 2022 or Berlin 2024?

I can imagine a bit of awkwardness in awarding the 2020 Games to Berlin and also announcing Bach as the new president during the same session. That seems much more unlikely to me.

And announcing Munich in 2015 will NOT be awkward? :blink: That will be SHAMELESS!! That's like that sleazy Juan Antonio Samarach announcing Barcelona for 1992! :blink:

I don't suppose there's any chance that you're a gung-ho supporter of Berlin 2020 for the sole reason of keeping Munich out of 2022?

There is a reason and season for everything. ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And announcing Munich in 2015 will NOT be awkward? :blink: That will be SHAMELESS!! That's like that sleazy Juan Antonio Samarach announcing Barcelona for 1992! :blink:

There is a reason and season for everything. ;)

You're kidding, right? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone will read this since I found this discussion so late, but I want to put out why I supported Munich 2018 instead of Pyeongchang. I supported a German bid because of a startling find that I dug up. If you look closely in Germanys Olympic history, you will see that Germany has NEVER hosted a SUCCESFUL Olympic games and has had a pretty harsh Olympic past. Heres what I mean:

1) 1916 Games were going to be in Berlin, they were cancelled (Failure)

2) Both the 1936 Summer and Winter games were hosted in Germany, but Hitler and the Nazis ruined both of them with Nazi propoganda (Failiure)

3) Garmisch Partenkirchen losses its bid to host the 1960 Winter Olympics (Failiure)

4) The Munich Massacre runies the 1972 Summer Olympics, runing the "Happy games" Germany tried to promote and for the 3rd time Germany was wrongfully robbed of an Olympic games and the City of Munich is forever remembered as a terrible place. (Failiure)

5)Berchtesgaden is the first Olympic bid for a reunified Germany bids for the Winter games in 1992 and losses (Failiure)

6) Berlin losses its bid to host the 2000 Summer games (Failiure)

7) Leipzig losses its bid to host the 2012 Summer Olympics (failiure)

and the newest edition!:

8) Munich losses its bid to host the 2018 Winter Olympics with an embarresing 26 votes in a first round defeat. (FAILIURE)

I supported Munich because I beleive that Germany deserves to host a sucessful Olympic games, I especially supported Munich because Munich was wrongfully robbed of its Olympic games and deserves another chance. My guess is that if Germany decides to bid again that they should use the reasons I stated up above as an extra push. I think Munich should try for 2022 because surpisigly that is the 50th Anniversery of the 1972 Games in Munich. However I think they might loss if the US bids. 2026 maybe Munichs time. Tell me what you guys think.

If 2020 goes to Rome or Madrid, North America would have the edge for 2022 -- unless Reno is the candidate.

If 2020 goes to Tokyo or Istanbul, I think Europe would have the edge for 2022.

If all of us are blown away by a Canadian or American bid winning 2020, Europe will have a lock on 2022.

If SA changes course one last time and gets 2020, I think the tide probably turns back towards North America for 2022 because Europe will be gunning for 2024.

No matter what, I'd love to see Munich host Winter Games and there is something poetic about 2022 being 50 years after '72.

I don't think anyone will read this since I found this discussion so late, but I want to put out why I supported Munich 2018 instead of Pyeongchang. I supported a German bid because of a startling find that I dug up. If you look closely in Germanys Olympic history, you will see that Germany has NEVER hosted a SUCCESFUL Olympic games and has had a pretty harsh Olympic past. Heres what I mean:

1) 1916 Games were going to be in Berlin, they were cancelled (Failure)

2) Both the 1936 Summer and Winter games were hosted in Germany, but Hitler and the Nazis ruined both of them with Nazi propoganda (Failiure)

3) Garmisch Partenkirchen losses its bid to host the 1960 Winter Olympics (Failiure)

4) The Munich Massacre runies the 1972 Summer Olympics, runing the "Happy games" Germany tried to promote and for the 3rd time Germany was wrongfully robbed of an Olympic games and the City of Munich is forever remembered as a terrible place. (Failiure)

5)Berchtesgaden is the first Olympic bid for a reunified Germany bids for the Winter games in 1992 and losses (Failiure)

6) Berlin losses its bid to host the 2000 Summer games (Failiure)

7) Leipzig losses its bid to host the 2012 Summer Olympics (failiure)

and the newest edition!:

8) Munich losses its bid to host the 2018 Winter Olympics with an embarresing 26 votes in a first round defeat. (FAILIURE)

I supported Munich because I beleive that Germany deserves to host a sucessful Olympic games, I especially supported Munich because Munich was wrongfully robbed of its Olympic games and deserves another chance. My guess is that if Germany decides to bid again that they should use the reasons I stated up above as an extra push. I think Munich should try for 2022 because surpisigly that is the 50th Anniversery of the 1972 Games in Munich. However I think they might loss if the US bids. 2026 maybe Munichs time. Tell me what you guys think.

SantaCruz, Munich is doomed to defeat for 2022 -- especially if 2020 goes to Europe! They should just sit 2022 out. They'll come back better prepated in 2026. 50th Anniversary of 1972? WHy? MiGod, those were tragic Games! WHy should they be remembered - other than this is NOT how to secure a Games. 2022 will ONLY reemphasize that fatal lapse in security and the German brain. 2026 is definitely a better year for them!!

If 2020 goes to Rome or Madrid, North America would have the edge for 2022 -- unless Reno is the candidate.

Stupid, bullsh*t baloney statement from blinders-on Athensfan. But what else can one expect from a one-track thinker?

Well regardless whenever Munich does end up hosting, the 1972 Munich Massacre will be remembered in the opening ceremony and the games in general. A 50th anniversary in 2022 will simply be on a slightly bigger scale. When and if Israel does compete, expect a huge cheer (I'm sure they'll be wearing black armbands to remember the dead).

It's not just about celebrating 50 years since last hosting, after all the 1972 games were supposed to be the happy games. The tragedy of the Massacre should be acknowledged, in the obvious good way, without insult to the deceased or family members.

SantaCruz, Munich is doomed to defeat for 2022 -- especially if 2020 goes to Europe! They should just sit 2022 out. They'll come back better prepated in 2026. 50th Anniversary of 1972? WHy? MiGod, those were tragic Games! WHy should they be remembered - other than this is NOT how to secure a Games. 2022 will ONLY reemphasize that fatal lapse in security and the German brain. 2026 is definitely a better year for them!!

SantaCruz.. if you're still here, please ignore this logic from baron. More than anything, he wants Reno/Lake Tahoe to get the 2022 Olympics (as you might have guessed from his signature) and he will root for whatever improves their chances, including eliminating a key competitor. Munich is in no way doomed for 2022, nor should they sit 2022 out. baron just wants this because he thinks it will help Reno's cause. If he says otherwise, feel free to ask him if his pants are on fire. Because he is a liar :lol:

I hope Berlin can jup to the 2020 bid race, they will be the clear frontrunner ;)

It has already been announced that Germany will not bid for 2020...

Well regardless whenever Munich does end up hosting, the 1972 Munich Massacre will be remembered in the opening ceremony and the games in general. A 50th anniversary in 2022 will simply be on a slightly bigger scale. When and if Israel does compete, expect a huge cheer (I'm sure they'll be wearing black armbands to remember the dead).

It's not just about celebrating 50 years since last hosting, after all the 1972 games were supposed to be the happy games. The tragedy of the Massacre should be acknowledged, in the obvious good way, without insult to the deceased or family members.

Israel's simple attendance is monument enough, although I hope and pray that one of the children of the 11 Isralies (Anuke Spitzer, daughter of fencing coach Andre Spitzer is my personal choice) brings the torch into the stadium.

2022... the stars seem to be aligning. 50 years since 1972, the first Olympics in Germany since Munich and the first Olympics for a unified Germany in 86 years since Berlin.

If they want it, there would not be a better choice, there would not be a better time.

Guys please don't fight, I didn't mean to make a mountain out of a mole hill, I just wanted your opinions and I respect them no matter what they are, baron has some good logic and so does quaker 2001. I have to admit my comment was a bit "german nationalism" so to say, and baron is right, that is not the way to win the olympics. I still think it can be a good platform for a future German bid.

Israel's simple attendance is monument enough, although I hope and pray that one of the children of the 11 Isralies (Anuke Spitzer, daughter of fencing coach Andre Spitzer is my personal choice) brings the torch into the stadium.

2022... the stars seem to be aligning. 50 years since 1972, the first Olympics in Germany since Munich and the first Olympics for a unified Germany in 86 years since Berlin.

If they want it, there would not be a better choice, there would not be a better time.

Yeah! Thats right 2022 will and its deserved to be in Munich! :)

What's happening in Germany in the last 2 days.

Last night there were revolts and burnings/fires in Berlin AND Hamburg. :mellow:

It's like the London revolts are escalating to whole the European Continent .. <_<

I haven't noticed much trouble in Berlin .

Ive been in Berlin for the past few days. Had an awesome day, coffee on the Ku'damm and a trip out to the Olympiastadion.

Biggest concentration of police I've seen is some huge Police day out yesterday. haha

Archived