Berlin 2020, Munich 2022 or Berlin 2024?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understood why Paris and Berlin couldn't just bid for 2020 since it's such a great chance for them. How long does it take to prepare a bid and check out its feasibility anyway?

Well, it's like in all the other races. If a country is bidding for a Summer Games, or vice-versa, they'd like to concentrate their total efforts on their current bid before endevoring on another one. That was certainly the case with the USOC with 2016, & why they didn't bid for 2018, even though Reno was all set to go, like a school girl getting ready for the H.S. prom. It creates a conflict of interest if a NOC is trying to make plans for both sets of Games at the same time.

Plus, if a country, like the U.S., has quite a number of cities that could be capable, the preliminary process could take a while, as was the case for 2016 for the USOC. But with a country like France, which really only has Paris (& which already has the experince in bidding), it shouldn't take that long to get things jumpstarted again. I think Paris is making a big mistake.

Sorry for that short reply (but I'm writing it with my iPhone)

No bid for 2020 - every other later bid will be checked for its chances by the DOSB. Even a bid for 2022!

So DOSB and CNOSF are on the same line !

I hope there are at least FOUR (4) Euro 2022 candidates.

So Munich? Are-Ostersund again? Geneva? Annency or Val d'Isere? Zaragosa?

That looks good.

I think Munich & Geneva are in the most likely category. With Ostersund, Zaragossa & Annecy in the maybe. And I'm sure that we'll have one or two on the Eastern front, as well. Like Sofia &/or Sarajevo trying their luck again. So it could be a busy 2022 European field (parallel to what 2012 was in the Summer edition).

DOSB - Beschluss des DOSB-Präsidiums zu Olympiabewerbungen

I am neither a professional nor an authorised translator, but here is a short, rough summary/translation of the resolutions of the DOSB of today.

1.) Congratulations to PyeongChang for their fantastic bid - at the same time the DOSB is dissapointed that Munichs' bid failed

2.) the DOSB thanks Munich, Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Berchtesgaden and the bid team for the fantastic bid.

3.) the DOSB appreciates that the bid increased the significance of sport in the society - especially for the "relationship" between sport and enviroment - the DOSB agrees the German secretary of state and the Munich mayor that the bid was very important and positive for Germany

4.) the DOSB wants to remind that the Munich bid was officially announced in 2007 - at a time, where a third bid of PyeongChang hadn't been announced. When PyeongChang joined the competition it became clear that it will become hard for Munich, but the clear vote on July 6th was astonishing. Furthermore it was a decision for South Korea and Asia not against Germany. Concept and presentation of Munich's bid met more acceptance in the IOC than the number of votes shows it.

5.) the DOSB is glad that it received a lot of signals to place another bid, which is esteemed by the DOSB for a high acceptance of the Olympic Games in Germany. In accordance with the other shareholders of the Munich 2018 bid the DOSB is strongly in favour to weigh and determine another bid without time pressure. For this the "bid competition" of 2020 and the "first perceptions" of the candidates for 2022 have to be considered. Decisive for a new Olympic bid will be if it will be able to accomplish the "forces" of sport, politics, economy and society and to mobilise them to support the bid actively. The DOSB will decide on this basis with an open outcome if a future Olympic bid is reasonable. However a 2020 bid is impossible due the deadline of end of July.

4.) the DOSB wants to remind that the Munich bid was officially announced in 2007 - at a time, where a third bid of PyeongChang hadn't been announced. When PyeongChang joined the competition it became clear that it will become hard for Munich, but the clear vote on July 6th was astonishing.

I guess we'll be seeing last-minute bids from the DSOB from now on, after they assess the competition.

The 2020 applicant deadline is Sept 1st, not the end of July.

But anyway, I'm glad to see that at least the German Olympic Committee sees that last weeks vote "was a vote for South Korea & Asia, & not against Germany".

The 2020 applicant deadline is Sept 1st, not the end of July.

But anyway, I'm glad to see that at least the German Olympic Committee sees that last weeks vote "was a vote for South Korea & Asia, & not against Germany".

it seems that you have to make a kind of "pre-announcement" until end of july

it seems that you have to make a kind of "pre-announcement" until end of july

Not exactly. Cities have to submit dates of the games if outside the usual period, wada and tas compliencee letterd before the end of july.

IOC will answer before august 29th to accept or not the letters and date...

And after that official confirmation of the cities submitted by the NOC to the IOC.

So no obligation to make a public annoucement before the IOC annoucement on september the first

Furthermore it was a decision for South Korea and Asia not against Germany. Concept and presentation of Munich's bid met more acceptance in the IOC than the number of votes shows it.

Superb attitude. B)

Berlin should seize this moment. Germany is the most financially stable country in Europe right now. It's the most loved and admired country in the world according to endless polls (seriously). Munich was a graceful loser to PC.

If it entered, Berlin would immediately be the front-runner...assuming no Durban bid, at least.

Please, please no Hamburg though.

Although I am not a super supporter of a German bid for 2020, I think it is not enough to present a bid only every ten years or so. We have to show our willingness to host the Games more seriously. Munich was our best bid since Munichs last bid in 1965. That is our biggest mistake. There has to be a German bid for 2020 or at least for 2022.

We are Germans. We dont have the support of the Spanish, French or Arabian community neither we are a member of the Commonwealth. It is much harder for us to get the support of the IOC members to our bid and you cant achieve that with a single bid every decade.

I'm thinking if Berlin bids we have our favourite to win for sure. However, I would prefer a winter games in Munich because it has been 80 years since Germany a winter power has hosted the games.

When the Germans say it is too late for 2020, they mean that if they plan on bidding, they want to go through a proper evaluation like they did for the 2012 Games. Now, that got them an early loser bid in Leipzig, but I think they should stick to a bid from Munich for the 2022 Winter Games. I know some are calling their 25 votes for the 2018 Games a "disaster", but I don't see it that way. Momentum in that race swung early on for Korea and pretty much stayed that way until the end. For Munich, they would easily be a front runner for 2022. As for the Swiss and the Swedes, well the Swiss always seem to back out of bids and the Swedes have a smaller product to offer. Ostersund is their only choice and while it has many things going for it, it also has some problems. Much like 2012, I think 2022 is a Games destined for Western Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, the singals I have been given directly point to the German government wanting Berlin to bid for 2020. It is strange that the German NOC seems to be rejecting what is in essence a carte blanche. Its not like a bid needs to be formalized and in stone by September 1, you just need to tell the IOC you are bidding. What's so hard about saying, ok Rogge we are bidding, July 24 to August 15, here is all the WADA stuff. Now lets getting planning.

And I agree, a Summer version would certainly be something for all Germany.

Interesting, the singals I have been given directly point to the German government wanting Berlin to bid for 2020. It is strange that the German NOC seems to be rejecting what is in essence a carte blanche. Its not like a bid needs to be formalized and in stone by September 1, you just need to tell the IOC you are bidding. What's so hard about saying, ok Rogge we are bidding, July 24 to August 15, here is all the WADA stuff. Now lets getting planning.

And I agree, a Summer version would certainly be something for all Germany.

Because, the German NOC's priority is the Thomas Bach election at the IOC presidency... (that will occur at the same IOC session than the 2020 host city electing one !)

Because, the German NOC's priority is the Thomas Bach election at the IOC presidency... (that will occur at the same IOC session than the 2020 host city electing one !)

Regardless, the IOC is not going to award Germany with the presidency and then allow him to annouce one of his own cities as a host. Unless a miracle can happen and Tokyo wins 2020 it is utter foolishness for Paris, Toronto and Berlin to allow Rome or Madrid a free walk to the games.

Go BERLIN 2020!!

I don't suppose there's any chance that you're a gung-ho supporter of Berlin 2020 for the sole reason of keeping Munich out of 2022?

No. No chance of that at all.

Munich 2022 makes the most sense over Berlin. Even if 2020 is going to be a European year, I would encourage the Germans to go for Munich. 25 votes, a good bid, there is no reason they cannot get it next time while Berlin is a maybe.

I agree 100% and I don't think Bach's possible election as president would hamper Munich's bid at all. If anything I think it would help.

I can imagine a bit of awkwardness in awarding the 2020 Games to Berlin and also announcing Bach as the new president during the same session. That seems much more unlikely to me.

Archived