Berlin 2020, Munich 2022 or Berlin 2024?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berlin 2020? no way

Berlin citizens would be totally against it

Berlin should just bid for 2020 as a promotion for Munich 2022

We all know the winterGames turned into a consolation-prize so

let the DOSB waste some money on a dead Horse (Berlin 2020)

and take the Munich 2022 Games thanks to this

Guys relax. As much as I would love to see a Berlin 2020 bid - it's not going to happen. Deadline to lodge a bid is 1 September, shortly before State elections in Berlin. Politicians are certainly not going to burn their fingers with any such announcement without communicating that properly and carefully beforehand.

DOSB is either going to decide to give Munich another go for 2022 OR Hamburg might get a shot at the 2020 summer games (which I find not very likely either).

So my guess: Munich 2022 (with good chances despite tough European competition), however we might see a strong Scandinavian bid winning.

I would then hope for Tokyo 2020. Their 2016 bid was much stronger than it appeared to be in the voting. Japan has gone through disaster and IOC might be more open to consider. I predict that Rome and Madrid are going to pull out due to apparent financial crises. And then it's going to be a very hard fought race in 2024 with a large number of European cities (including Berlin after Munich 2022 failed again), possibly New York, Cape Town and Brisbane (rumours say).

Impossible to anticipate the outcome. But I feel it's going to be an uphill battle for Berlin with very limited chances for success.

Agree. BERLIN 2020 is better for Germany. Munich 2022 is a just a Bavarian trip. They got their Oktoberbest annually already!!

By that you really mean that Berlin 2020 is better for Reno 2022 since it would eliminate Munich as potential competition? Yea, that's what we thought you meant! :lol:

2020 may be the most interesting bid race we've had in quite awhile, personally id love so see Berlin have a go at it, even more so than another Munich bid. I also agree we will probably see a German Olympics before 2028.

Tagesspiegel - Hamburg zögert noch (Hamburg is still hesitating))

In this article it is said that the most likely German bid is for 2022 with Munich, but that will become a tough competitors e.g. with Switzerland.

Another possibility would be a bid for Summer Olympics - Hamburg and Berlin are the only competitive cities.

Hamburg is suggesting, that it want to be ready to host every major sport event in appr. 10 years - the time for a 2020 bis is very short and there are tough competitors: Madrid, Rome, Tokyo and Istanbul (it is said that Europe has good chances) - there are further bids likely from Africa, Australia and North-America. If Europes wins the next chance for Germany (Berlin) would be 2028.

Tagesspiegel - Olympic Games and Sport venues in Berlin

In this article (which was published today) are venues in Berlin listed, which could be included in a bid:

Olympic Park:

Olympiastadion = Athletics, Ceremonies

Hockey Stadion = Hockey

Landsberger Allee:

Max-Schmeling Arena

Aquatic Center = Aquatics

Velodrom = Cycling, Track

Exhibition Complex:

Fencing,

Wrestling

Weightlifting

Gymnastics

O2-World:

Gymnastics, Basketball

Unversity Arenas

The airport Tegel shall become a rowing/canoeing venue (which is planned by the German rowing/canoeing federation)

Tagesspiegel - Olympic Games and Sport venues in Berlin

In this article (which was published today) are venues in Berlin listed, which could be included in a bid:

Olympic Park:

Olympiastadion = Athletics, Ceremonies

Hockey Stadion = Hockey

Landsberger Allee:

Max-Schmeling Arena

Aquatic Center = Aquatics

Velodrom = Cycling, Track

Exhibition Complex:

Fencing,

Wrestling

Weightlifting

Gymnastics

O2-World:

Gymnastics, Basketball

Unversity Arenas

The airport Tegel shall become a rowing/canoeing venue (which is planned by the German rowing/canoeing federation)

MUCH MORE PROPITIOUS!!

If I would be the DOSB, I would concentrate on Munich and the winter games. In my eyes Munich is the big favourite for winning the 2022 campaign because it's time that the wogs come back to Europe after 16 years and I think Munich has a better concept as the Swiss bids e.g.

If I would be the DOSB, I would concentrate on Munich and the winter games. In my eyes Munich is the big favourite for winning the 2022 campaign because it's time that the wogs come back to Europe after 16 years

R u nuts? They will be there in 3 years' time -- in Sochi. Call a Sochean a non-European and you'd probably get slapped in the face!!

Lol i don't know how can people say 2020 is going to be exciting and even one of the best bid process when now even Berlin isn't likely to enter.

That 2020 thing is going to be so much more boring than 2016 & 2012, we won't find the Brazil and new frontiers vs usual suspects or the London vs Paris vs Madrid triumvirat which was sometimes nasty but in the end so much fun and more interesting.

Madrid vs Rome vs the financial crisis, now we're talking about THE bid of the XXI century!

The Berlin mayor is one person who wants to bid for 2020:

http://www.thelocal.de/sport/20110713-36253.html

Less than a week after Munich’s Winter Olympics bid was defeated, Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit said he wants the German capital to host the Summer Games.

Wowereit said Berlin could possibly bid for the 2020 Olympics even though German sporting officials have said it’s already too late to submit a bid.

“Berlin is ready for the Olympic games. Berlin has all the requirements: The stadiums, infrastructure, hotel industry, the enthusiasm of people toward sports,” he told Der Tagesspiegel newspaper on Wednesday.

But it’s unclear if Berlin will actually be able to bid for the Olympics in the near future. The German Olympic Sports Confederation (DOSB) has said time is too short for new German cities to register to bid for the 2020 games – registration is due with the International Olympic Committee by the beginning of September

German's friends, what is the exact announcement of DOSB ?

So too late to go for 2020, but after that ??? 2022 again or let's try the summer games ???

German's friends, what is the exact announcement of DOSB ?

So too late to go for 2020, but after that ??? 2022 again or let's try the summer games ???

Sorry for that short reply (but I'm writing it with my iPhone)

No bid for 2020 - every other later bid will be checked for its chances by the DOSB. Even a bid for 2022!

Extremely interesting that the German Olympic Committee says that "it's too late" for a 2020 bid from them when all they have are only 2, maybe 3 cities at best, that could be considered. But yet the USOC can't come out with a similar announcement. :blink: So which NOC is looking at it all wrong.

A Berlin bid certainly would've been very interesting, especially since Paris looks very unlikely. I wonder though, how public support for a bid in the German capital would be like, though. Since for their 2000 bid it was anything but supportive. And I read in the GB newswire that Doha may be interested, too. So much for the theory that the Qatari's would be gun-shy to try for the Olympics again due to the aftermath & debacle of the FIFA 2022 decision.

Extremely interesting that the German Olympic Committee says that "it's too late" for a 2020 bid from them when all they have are only 2, maybe 3 cities at best, that could be considered. But yet the USOC can't come out with a similar announcement. :blink: So which NOC is looking at it all wrong.

Maybe the DSOB is just saving face for the Munich bid, giving it respect and acting as if that's all they were thinking about all along, but when push comes to shove, they end up applying with Berlin in late August because they know they'd have a great shot at 2020. I mean come on, they must have at least considered the possibility that Munich might not win and that in that case Berlin could be a potential front-runner. I never understood why Paris and Berlin couldn't just bid for 2020 since it's such a great chance for them. How long does it take to prepare a bid and check out its feasibility anyway?

Archived