Berlin 2020, Munich 2022 or Berlin 2024?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berlin 2020 sounds good. Celebrating 30 years since reunification.

The problem is of course, it would not just be Berlin. All things being democratic and all, there will be a domestic bid race, like for 2012.

If there's no one else interested, then it's just Berlin. Otherwise, if given an opportunity, other potential bidders might just present a good enough plan to beat Berlin's excellent plan.

I think Berlin would be an excellent challenger to Rome, and they might have a better chance of winning than Munich will for 2022. With Switzerland and other European countries already considering bids for 2022, the European field is going to be very crowded for those Games. I'd prefer to see Germany host a Winter Games rather than a Summer Games, but I think they may have a better shot at 2020.

I believe there will be Olympic Games before 2028 in Germany...

For me it will totally depend on the election of Thomas Bach as IOC president...

It had already, may be, had an impact on the 2018 election.

But for my pov, if the IOC members really want Bach as president, no way for them to elect a german city some days before in 2013 as host city of the Summer Games.

And 2 years later in 2015 for the 2022 Winter election, it would be too early after his election to give back to Germany this supreme honor.

And if the 2020 Summer Games would lend in Europe... so no way for Germany to host them in 2024 !

So, Yes may be before 2028 with a 2026 Winter Games (if the 2022 Winter ones would be in North America !)

For me it will totally depend on the election of Thomas Bach as IOC president...

It had already, may be, had an impact on the 2018 election.

But for my pov, if the IOC members really want Bach as president, no way for them to elect a german city some days before in 2013 as host city of the Summer Games.

And 2 years later in 2015 for the 2022 Winter election, it would be too early after his election to give back to Germany this supreme honor.

And if the 2020 Summer Games would lend in Europe... so no way for Germany to host them in 2024 !

So, Yes may be before 2028 with a 2026 Winter Games (if the 2022 Winter ones would be in North America !)

mhh, I haven't seen that this way so far - interesting - I have to think about that...

The thing is, Munich already has the gears in motion. They already have the experience in bidding with a good plan. As the IOC pointed out with this last election, "persistence can pay off". With changing course now & going for a Summer Games with Berlin instead, then that starts to create inconsistency, IMO.

There may be much more European interest for 2022, with the likes of Switzerland, & maybe France again, Norway &/or Sweden, but Munich would still have the head start off the gate than any of the others as far as the campaign goes, the relationships within the IOC & perhaps the sympathy card from coming in a distant 2nd for the 2018 Games.

Munich 2022 makes the most sense over Berlin. Even if 2020 is going to be a European year, I would encourage the Germans to go for Munich. 25 votes, a good bid, there is no reason they cannot get it next time while Berlin is a maybe.

Rome, Madrid, Paris, Berlin would be a very interesting competition. If the bids wernt very similar then i think 2020 would be a very good race

Where is Paris when you need them?

Well, maybe Vichy could fill in? :lol:

Also, Vienna is missing from that Axis-Central Powers list....and WHICH is why they are desperate to have a US bid in there so, indeed the 2020 race will not look like an Axis II sequel, because even Durban is doubtful since the South African regime during WW2 was know to be sympathetic to the 3rd Reich!! :lol:

Manfred von Richthofen (the honourable president of the DOSB) said in an interview: Die Zeit - Ich bin für Sommerspiele in Berlin (I would prefer Summer Olympics in Berlin)

In this article it is discussed if Germany should bid for Winter or Summer Games - Berlin as well as Hamburg agree that a bid for 2020 might be too early Berliner Morgenpost - München 2022 oder Berlin 2024 (Munich 2022 or Berlin 2024)

Several National Sport Federations ask for further bids: Süddeutsche Zeitung: Verbände für neue Olympia-Bewerbung

yeah - I laughed about that sentence, too - but I think he meant that more Germans are interested in Summer Olympics than in Winter Olympics...

Probably, but I think Germans will not support a Berlin summer bid.

yeah - I laughed about that sentence, too - but I think he meant that more Germans are interested in Summer Olympics than in Winter Olympics...

Yeah, from the article I got the impression that he thought a Summer Games would unite the country more the the Winter Games would.

And he's not "wrong" either. Germany isn't a winter nation, it's more of an all-sport, all-season nation. Good at everything. Unlike Switzerland, which is actually known for winter sports. Not that that should hurt Munich in any way, it should rather be a positive for any future winter bid.

Archived