Nobel Peace Prize for IOC

DURBAN, South Africa (AP) — Syria's IOC member renewed his call Friday for the Olympic body to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Samih Moudallal said he contacted the Nobel office about the process for nominating the International Olympic Committee for its humanitarian work in Africa and Asia.

"I insist (we) get this prize, not for the money but for its values and concepts," he told fellow members during the IOC's general assembly meeting in Durban.

Moudallal first made the proposal during the IOC's session in Vancouver before the 2010 Winter Games, but IOC President Jacques Rogge said the organization wouldn't campaign for the prize.

On Friday, Rogge took a similar position.

"I share with you the view we could be considered because of all the good work ... but it would not be convenient for the IOC itself to make an approach in this respect," he told Moudallal.

"I cannot stop members from doing what they think they should do, but do not expect any initiative coming from the executive board," Rogge added.

The issue came up during a discussion of the IOC's international relations policies. The IOC was granted observer's status in 2009 in the United Nations general assembly.

Among other initiatives, the IOC has been brokering talks between Israeli and Palestinian Olympic officials, as well as providing sporting and humanitarian assistance to athletes in poorer countries.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2011-07-08-345633406_x.htm

Archived