Paris 2020

Soaring

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Paris going to build a new stadium? Because I believe the one they have now isn't in Paris (this is for 2024, because Paris has dropped out).

Paris has already a stadium, Le Stade de France... There isn't plan to a new satdium except about Rugby.

French Rugby Federation want to build a Stadium to 2017 without track only to rugby (Capacity will be about 80 000 seats)

The 2020 Games will probably be in Europe. I don't know where France will go from there...

Where in Europe do you think? Rome or Madrid? Two countries with major debts.

Berlin? I think that they remain focused on Munich. They know it was a very good bid. But who knows.

Or Istanbul is an option. Other cities from Europe I don't know yet?

I seem to remember that we were 'favourites' in 2005.

Look where that got us!

Didn't you almost get the Games?

Maybe the French committee was too hasty in making this decision. They have until September yet they came out with a statement like this while the wounds of 2018 are still fresh. I'd bet a large portion of the IOC actually wants to see the Games in Paris in 2020, unlike Annecy 2018.

What a blown opportunity, they'd be favourites. Looks like the 7 votes left them with a scar.

Once again, nothing to deal with the last week results....No plans were ready to bid for 2O20, so no bid !

Plans will be studied for 2024 or later depending on a lot of aspects....

Once again, nothing to deal with the last week results....No plans were ready to bid for 2O20, so no bid !

Plans will be studied for 2024 or later depending on a lot of aspects....

Hmm, do you think they'd have been more open to bid for 2020 if they didn't bid for 2018? Interested in your insight.

Didn't you almost get the Games?

'Almost' is not 'get'.

As Coe said: "there are no silver medals in this game".

Maybe the French committee was too hasty in making this decision. They have until September yet they came out with a statement like this while the wounds of 2018 are still fresh.

You just don't bid at the drop of a hat.

You first need a plan.

Clearly there is none.....

I'd bet a large portion of the IOC actually wants to see the Games in Paris in 2020, unlike Annecy 2018.

A large portion!

Someone pinch me!!

It's not as if we didn't give the ioc the opportunity to chose Paris in the past!

Hmm, do you think they'd have been more open to bid for 2020 if they didn't bid for 2018? Interested in your insight.

No the result would have been the same. As everyone is thinking Paris when thinking to an Olympic bid for France, so the question is 'Do we have plan for Olympics in Paris ?'... and no, there isn't clear plans and first of all the Paris' mayor is against it.

So may be some people could have start to plan a concept.... but they would have been stopped by the mayor !

So, the next shot could be 2024 with an election on 2017. The next election for the Mayor's office will take place in 2014, so in perfect timing to start a bid...

So if I were the French NOC, in order to control the entire process, I will start some pre-studies and some lobbying with the possible candidates at the Mayor's office.... and my main priority will be to see how in the "Grand Paris" project we could include the Games !!!

No the result would have been the same. As everyone is thinking Paris when thinking to a Olympic bid for France, so the question is 'do we have plan for Olympic in Paris'... and no, there isn't clear plans and first of all the Paris' mayor is against it.

So may be some people could have start to plan a concept.... but they would have been stopped by the mayor !

So, the next shot could be 2024 with an election on 2017. The next election for the Mayor's office will take place in 2014, so in perfect time to start a bid...

So if I were the French NOC, in order to control the entire process, I will start some pre-studies and some lobbying with the possible candidates at the Mayor's office.... and my main priority will be to see how in the "Grand Paris" project we could include the Games !!!

Ok I see, thanks for the info.

Ok I see, thanks for the info.

memorablia seems to be saying that the Paris mayor has a veto.

He doesn't.

If the Elysée and the CNSOF decide to go for it, he will just follow.

Period.

It's a bit like London 2012: Blair 'n Coe decided to bid.

Livingston just tagged along for the ride....

He doesn't.

Period.

In France he has... Especially in the Paris' case !

And in general a bid is presented by a NOC with a City !

A NOC alone could do nothing !

The government could put pressure on the NOC, but more difficult on the city (except to deal it against something else...)

He doesn't.

Period.

Another priceless post from Frenchy on London's Olympic bid. :rolleyes::lol:

The bid wasn't Blair's idea at all (he was actually quite worried about it once approached given England's failed 2006 World Cup bid). And Coe only headed London's bid after the IOC evaluation reports were released. Remember Barbara Cassani?

As Mayor, Livingstone was the person the BOA originally proposed the bid to and he was the one who got it going, insisting that it was based in and around the East End rather than in West London, and putting together a funding package that got the sceptical Treasury on board.

Only once all that happened were the government properly approached and votes took place in the Cabinet. It took the BOA, the Mayor Ken Livingstone and eventually Tessa Jowell to convince the government the Olympics were a good idea! Exactly the opposite of what you're claiming in fact, Frenchy!

Blair may have helped win us the Olympic bid but it was the BOA and Livingstone who really take credit for getting it off the ground and convinving the Blair government it was a good idea. Livingstone certainly didn't "just tag along for the ride". Without his initial work and hard yards we'd almost certainly be preparing for a French Games next year. :D

Anyway, I don't want to take this thread off-topic, it's not about London. I just didn't want to see this post go uncorected.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm French and, in fact, I don't know if I really want a French bid for 2020. I speak about my own feelings, I don't want you to think that all the French people think like me (although I'm almost sure that a huge majority more or less think like me) : nowadays, we don't give a damn about French games. Annecy's defeat occurred in an atmosphere of general indifference. I'm almost sure that, in order to conceal strong feelings of defeatism, French people show very poor interest about the Olympic Games. And I think that many people are convinced that France won't win until 2030 or even 2040 (if we ever get it). I don't tell you this is a right point of view but I think that this is a dominant idea among French people today.

I'd just like to say that the Olympic Games are not really a problem of debt : French (and German) public debt are much higher than Spanish public debt, but it is unlikely that it could determine a French or German bid.

I agree with you Espana!

When it was 2012 i said Paris bid may be a one time opportunity and that we may not see a succesful bid or a realistic one from France in a very long time. At the time people replied that i was wrong and that Paris or a winter city would win sooner or later.

Now, people lost interest and faith here about our chance to host such an event and i believe a majority of french don't want to see a bid winter or summer anytime soon.

I totally disagree with the last 2 comments.

If you have a good project and a good communication team, French citizen will have interest in the Games. All surveys realised in the past months and years related to the wish of French Citizen to see France as a host city had high interest.

Olympic Games are on the best TV audiences (as other sport events)... so people have interest when time comes !!!

Attendance when it's turn to France to organize events are on the best ever (IAAF 2003 World Champs, IRB France 2007, Fencing 2010 or Judo 2011 World Champs)... so people have interest to see the best of sports !!!

It is just that sport in not our main concern in France... this is not part of our culture. So you don't think about it on a daily basis... but if you come with the right project and promote it well, you will have full support !

In summer 2001 after the defeat of Lille 2004 and Paris 2008, not a lot of people were thinking of the great opportunity to host in 2012... it only came 2 years later on the eve of the IAAF 2003 World Champs.

I totally disagree with the last 2 comments.

If you have a good project and a good communication team, French citizen will have interest in the Games. All surveys realised in the past months and years related to the wish of French Citizen to see France as a host city had high interest.

Olympic Games are on the best TV audiences (as other sport events)... so people have interest when time comes !!!

Attendance when it's turn to France to organize events are on the best ever (IAAF 2003 World Champs, IRB France 2007, Fencing 2010 or Judo 2011 World Champs)... so people have interest to see the best of sports !!!

It is just that sport in not our main concern in France... this is not part of our culture. So you don't think about it on a daily basis... but if you come with the right project and promote it well, you will have full support !

In summer 2001 after the defeat of Lille 2004 and Paris 2008, not a lot of people were thinking of the great opportunity to host in 2012... it only came 2 years later on the eve of the IAAF 2003 World Champs.

Sport is part of our culture : just see what happened with our football team in 2010. Everybody spoke about it, commented it, was shocked... But as for the Olympic Games, I think we are'n interested anymore.

Sport is part of our culture : just see what happened with our football team in 2010. Everybody spoke about it, commented it, was shocked... But as for the Olympic Games, I think we are'n interested anymore.

Did 2012 really sting that much?

I think it did. You still have some other French posters here from time-to-time that still seem irritated about it. Think about it; the French were always viewed as the favorite for 2012. Their 3rd bid in 20 years & their 2nd consecutive bid. Only to be edged out by London's lobbying in the end. I think it's safe to say that Paris' 2012 loss was much like PyeongChang's 2014 defeat.

I think it did. You still have some other French posters here from time-to-time that still seem irritated about it. Think about it; the French were always viewed as the favorite for 2012. Their 3rd bid in 20 years & their 2nd consecutive bid. Only to be edged out by London's lobbying in the end. I think it's safe to say that Paris' 2012 loss was much like PyeongChang's 2014 defeat.

Of course, it really did. I just have to remember the bitterness I felt at that moment... But now, it's past ^^

I imagine the London Games are going to be disheartening for some of the French. I probably will be having some thoughts about Chicago's bid while watching Rio 2016 as well.

Archived