Paris 2020

Soaring

So, when should we expect to hear an announcement about Paris 2020? :D

They should have known Annecy's chances were low, and began preparing for a "case scenario"

Contrary to the article's title, the French have not completely ruled out a bid. They simply said it would be "quite difficult".

French Olympic Boss Rules Out Paris 2020 Bid if Annecy Fails

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, they'll have the 3 previous failed Summer attempts. And now they can maybe add Annecy to the list, too. They'll need to be rico-suave though, with their approach, so they don't get miscontrued as being "arrogant". I think Paris could very well take it finally, if they play all their cards the right way at the right moments.

July 12, CNOF will have a meeting about the next French bid... Winter or Summer...

July 12, CNOF will have a meeting about the next French bid... Winter or Summer...

It can't be for winter games....I don't see how we can provide a better file.....and they gave 7 votes....

neige, are you ever going to acknowledge that it had absolutely NOTHING to do with the bid file? Can't you just finally realize that it simply wasn't France's turn this time around. That's how this mainly works.

And I don't see how France couldn't produce a "better" bid next time around. Especially the roller coaster ride that was the Annecy 2018 campaign to begin with. There's always room for improvement. That was the case for PyeongChang. Their 2nd bid was better than their 1st, & their 3rd better than their 2nd. So I'm sure an Annecy 2022 bid would be better than their 2018 one. They'll learn from their previous mistakes just like everyone else does. So lets not delve into the sea of defeatism, shall we.

Given the spectacular failure of the last three French bids (Paris 2008, Paris 2012, Annecy 2018), I'm not sure why Paris and the CNOF would want to waste more money on a 2020 Paris bid. Obviously, Annecy had no chance of winning today, but to receive only 7 votes is a huge embarrassment and shows a lack of political pull by the French. The CNOF might be better off to take the U.S. approach and sit out 2020 to re-evaluate why their bids have been so unsuccessful.

Well, Paris lost 2012 by only 4 votes. So I don't see how that one would translate into "so unsuccessful". Whereas the U.S.' 2012 & 2016 bids were never near the finish line. It's just clear that the geopolitics weren't behind yet a 4th French Winter Olympic Games. Especially when Albertville just hosted in 1992, compared to the other two 2018 bidders.

And I would hardly describe Paris 2008 & 2012 as "spectacular failures", either. Annecy, maybe. 2008 was just China's time. France should've known better. Not to mention when Athens was also hosting the preceding Games in 2004. And 2012 was Paris' to lose, which they did. But that wasn't totally their fault. London just lobbied a bit better.

Nice seems to be interesting in 2022... Annecy I don't know about 2022, but I think it's the better place in France to host WoG... Maybe will comeback... We can try with PAris 2020 if there are only Rome in Europe like other bider...

For me as a German Summer Games in France would be much more attracting as French Winter Games. The negative Albertville image is still too present.

What's Sepp doing there? Did he visually align himself with Annency?

But frankly, to the Annency supporters here -- and over there in Durban, surely the result wasn't entirely UNEXPECTED was it? I mean, I gave you one more than you actually got -- that was for STYLE!! U were the most stylish team!! ;)

Yeah, let's see Paris..which I'd rather see over Rome and Tokyo.

So, when should we expect to hear an announcement about Paris 2020? :D

They should have known Annecy's chances were low, and began preparing for a "case scenario"

Contrary to the article's title, the French have not completely ruled out a bid. They simply said it would be "quite difficult".

French Olympic Boss Rules Out Paris 2020 Bid if Annecy Fails

No bid for 2020, how many time should I advise you on that !

No, They will discuss issues and reaction after this very hard defeat... no choice will head up after this meeting regarding Winter or Summer... at best a schedule on how they will discuss about it and find the best for the French Olympic Movement...

I think Paris will bid, they cannot wait till 2032

That having being said, what are the possibilities for Paris to mount a successful bid?

Once again, even if the French NOC would have the very strange idea to say we should go, there is no actual plan ready and a total VETO of the actual Paris Mayor !

neige, are you ever going to acknowledge that it had absolutely NOTHING to do with the bid file? Can't you just finally realize that it simply wasn't France's turn this time around. That's how this mainly works.

And I don't see how France couldn't produce a "better" bid next time around. Especially the roller coaster ride that was the Annecy 2018 campaign to begin with. There's always room for improvement. That was the case for PyeongChang. Their 2nd bid was better than their 1st, & their 3rd better than their 2nd. So I'm sure an Annecy 2022 bid would be better than their 2018 one. They'll learn from their previous mistakes just like everyone else does. So lets not delve into the sea of defeatism, shall we.

Right the Timing was not good for the European bids, and in addition the communication & lobbying of Annecy was totaley poor.

But technically it was a strong and very good bid !

Given the spectacular failure of the last three French bids (Paris 2008, Paris 2012, Annecy 2018), I'm not sure why Paris and the CNOF would want to waste more money on a 2020 Paris bid. Obviously, Annecy had no chance of winning today, but to receive only 7 votes is a huge embarrassment and shows a lack of political pull by the French. The CNOF might be better off to take the U.S. approach and sit out 2020 to re-evaluate why their bids have been so unsuccessful.

I'm pretty sure that their plans ;)

Nice seems to be interesting in 2022... Annecy I don't know about 2022, but I think it's the better place in France to host WoG... Maybe will comeback... We can try with PAris 2020 if there are only Rome in Europe like other bider...

Annecy will not bid again... and I am doubtful regarding Nice ! Their pre-applicant bid was a total nightmare.... I'm not sure if in working hard on it we could find something interesting.

And at last, pretty sure, the French NOC will not give a go in the coming years for Winter Games ...

No bid for 2020, how many time you advise you on that !

No, They will discuss issues and reaction after this very hard defeat... no choice will head up after this meeting regarding Winter or Summer... at best a schedule on how they will discuss about it and find the best for the French Olympic Movement...

Once again, even if the French NOC would have the very strange idea to say we should go, there is no actual plan ready and a total VETO of the actual Paris Mayor !

Right the Timing was not good for the European bids, and in addition the communication & lobbying of Annecy was totaley poor.

But technically it was a strong and very good bid !

I'm pretty sure that their plans ;)

C'est sur qu'avant de retenter l'aventure faudra arrêter de foutre des incompétents à la tête des instances sportives ou des candidatures (je parle pas de Beigbeder qui a fait ce qu'il a pu) mais faudrait surement se tourner vers des professionnel du sport business et arrêter de croire qu'un Judoka, un skieur ou quoi peuvent nous faire gagner ou même faire confiance aux élus qui sont des politiques avant d'être des gens compétents dans le domaine Olympique... Les sportifs n'ont leur place que pour décorer ou enrobé, on gobé que c'était à cause de ça que nous avions perdu Paris 2012... Si on regarde SOtchi ou PC ils ont gagné sans les valeurs sportives... L'idéale olympique est mort il y a bien longtemps.

That's too bad. If Durban sits out 2020, but bids for 2024 or 2028, it will close the window on a European bid if Rome or another city wins 2020. I don't know why they even put their energies in the 2018 race.

To my mind, Paris has to try for 2020. If they don't, the odds look good for Rome for 2020 and it could be a LONG time before Paris has another shot at a SOG.

As for Annecy, yeah, seven votes has to hurt. The problem is, even if the presentation looked great and the bid team finally got their act together, it was clearly too late. If they try again for 2022, they will lose, probably to Munich. But look how persistant PC was.

Inevitable, the Games, Winter or Summer, will come back to France, just a question of not just bidding and bidding often, but knowing WHEN to bid.

To my mind, Paris has to try for 2020. If they don't, the odds look good for Rome for 2020 and it could be a LONG time before Paris has another shot at a SOG.

If the mayor doesn't want it then that point is not going to make a jot of difference. I mean, I suppose there is a chance he could be talked around like Ken Livingstone was, but we're only three months away from the deadline.

They won't bid. And then they will hope for 2024. But by not bidding for 2020, they no longer master their destiny. If a European city wins 2020, they'll have to wait 2032.

Archived