PyeongChang 2018's affect

Triffle

Similarly, a back-to-back North American games in the form of 2020-2022 or 2022-2024 should not be frowned upon either.

"Should not" doesn't mean "would not."

The only possibility for back-to-back North American Games would be a Canada/U.S. combo and I just don't see it happening.

Option 1: U.S. SOG / Canadian WOG.

The U.S. might pull off a SOG, but I'd be shocked if the IOC followed it up with Canadian WOG's -- particularly in the recent wake of Vancouver.

Option 2: Canadian WOG / U.S. SOG

It's even more unthinkable that the IOC would go to Canada before the U.S. for yet another edition of Winter Games.

Option 3: Canadian SOG/U.S. WOG

I would be surprised if the IOC chose Canada again so soon after Vancouver -- particularly when they know the U.S. wants more Summer Games. If the IOC did go to Canada for Summer Games, I'd still be surprised if they came back to North America so soon.

Option 4: U.S. WOG / Canadian SOG

In this climate of continental rotation, I just don't see the IOC coming back to North America so soon.

All in all, I don't think the IOC would overlook both the number of American Olympics and Vancouver's recent hosting. Not in this climate of continental rotation.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I've posted this before.

Re Sochi. It is Russian. Well, where else would've Russia placed a WOGs? Not in its traditional European space because the closest slopes are either in the Urals or the Caucauses. Sochi happened to provide a charming, slightly different setting...but it is still a Russian city and on Russian territory. And no doubt about it, it is being run by the European Russians...NOT their Asiatic underlings. For superficial trappings, they will include the more Asiatic features of their culture to show universality...but make no mistake about it...at its soul, it is a very European undertaking...and I think the IOC'ers, most of whom are middle-age and over...and quite a number coming from the former vassal states of the Soviet Union, can sniff a rose from a cabbage.

Despite what Rogge said, I think the selection of each Summer - Winter- YOG city very subtly affects the selection of the next one. Of course, they will say "continental rotation" does not exist -- yeah, right...and the Papacy will go to a man of color tomorrow... :rolleyes:...but from the recent choices...and with newer IOC members coming in, I think they are trying their darndest to make the organization live up to its "international" name. They are even more discriminating in trying to pick the "Session" host cities that do NOT belong to any of the bidding cities of a particular race, what does that say about their "geographic allocation" sensibility? Similarly, it does not look good for the organization to go, as Faster had already pointed out before...

2010 - No. America

2012 - Europe

2014 - Europe

2016 - So. America

2018 - Asia

2020 - Europe

2022 - Europe again??

Of course, where RSA goes in the next 2 months, will probably determine the 2022 race even more markedly than not. Even if Durban sticks it out for 2020, I don't know that 2022 is a strong year for Europe because 2024 summer would definitely be Europe's. All that being said, I think or I would hope...the IOC membership has more of a "global" mindset now than ever before.

Yes, yes to your double question marks, Baron.

It may not be ideal. But it's not impossible. It's not even far-fetched. There's plenty of precedent. It all depends on the available alternatives.

"Should not" doesn't mean "would not."

The only possibility for back-to-back North American Games would be a Canada/U.S. combo and I just don't see it happening.

Agreed, which makes it all the more sad considering the double standards. I know Europe has more choices and all, but let's work on an even playing field shall we?

A Vancouver 2010 and NYC 2012 scenario "should" have been perfectly acceptable, but we know how much of a stink that made back then. I'm very happy London got 2012 now, but if such a scenario were ever to occur in the future, I'd hope that North America wouldn't be handicapped by that.

The late 70's and 80's were a unique time for N. America and the Olympics. In 12 short years, four Games were staged in N. America. That is one for every Olympic year. Crazy to think about something like that happening today.

Let's not underestimate Rio's effect on future N. America bids too.

Baron, I am actually beginning to understand your fervor for 2022. I think 2022 could very go to the US if we put up a strong bid. It's just hard for me to see us with a strong bid at this point.

Baron, I am actually beginning to understand your fervor for 2022. I think 2022 could very go to the US if we put up a strong bid. It's just hard for me to see us with a strong bid at this point.

If not 2022, then 2026. At this point, it almost seems like a given that the US would get either of 2022 or 2026, and Europe would get the other.

If not 2022, then 2026. At this point, it almost seems like a given that the US would get either of 2022 or 2026, and Europe would get the other.

Yeah, hard to see any other likelihood than that.

No, I don't see Asia being in the Winter bid picture for another 12-20 years (for Games in the 2030-2038 window). The number of choices are smaller and the Europeans and Americans are going to want to come back to the table again. The next two Winter Games are "New Frontier" games - Russia and Korea. And the whole "is Sochi in Europe or is Sochi in Asia" debate is moot because above all, Sochi is in Russia and they are a continent sized country in their own right.

Europe might even be in line to win back to back Winter Games in the 2020s, depending on a few factors. They've done it before (1992 & 1994) and just like that case, an Alpine city and a Scandinavian city could get the bid, or even a new European winter frontier like Spain or Bulgaria could get in there. And they had a nice little cozy Summer Games in that time frame, as well.

For the Americans, the question is Summer or Winter? Frankly, I think they will be on a holding pattern for a while until they sort out their ducks and create a compelling reason to return to the USA. That is likely a Summer bid post-2020.

So basically, the past three Olympics have been awarded to "not the usual suspects", much like what happened in the 1960s and 1970s, so in the decade or so after that, the usual suspects are going to want their reward for waiting.

Archived