2018 Decision Live Chat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Austrians must be saying to themselves, "see, it's a good thing that we didn't bother, yet to be disappointed again". The Swiss might be taking note, too.

The Swiss will bid for 2022. They havent hosted the Games for decades and are much more influential within the IOC. A St. Moritz bid would be the frontrunner right from the beginning.

Here are some reactions on the result: Reactions

Jacques Rogge

"I think it is combination of two factors. To reward the perseverance and patience. The fact they (Pyeongchang) showed the vision that they wanted to introduce winter sports in Asia has also played a role."

Cho Yang-Ho, bid chairman

"I had some confidence but I did not expect this number, 63 (votes). I believe that all the IOC members understood our message. I believe that all the IOC members understood our message. They understood it was right time, right place, right now."

Thomas Bach, Germany

"This is a democratic vote and we see the result. I think sentiment was obvious in the Pyeongchang presentation. They were playing on this sympathy and compassion minute after minute." ... "Rio was different. Rio did not play on previous defeats or sympathy or even compassion. Rio was the opening of a new continent for Olympics and Summer Games. This has a totally different quality."

Dick Pound, Canada

"They've (Pyeongchang) been here twice already. They've done everything they've been asked to do. If you're a worldwide organization you have got to be able to show that by moving around the world."

Craig Reedie, Britain

"I just think it's a sense of fairness."

Gianfranco Kasper, Switzerland

"They (Pyeongchang) were the top favorites from the beginning, let's be honest. They made a lot of the third time (bidding). Excellent candidacy, I have to tell you. They did an excellent job."

Gerhard Heiberg, Norway

"People felt strongly that they have done everything necessary. Why shouldn't they have the games? And they will deliver fantastic games."

I wonder if all these Europeans/Pound voted for PC or just paid lip service after. Seeing how the voting went, PC was able to pick up at least 1/3 of the Euro votes, and maybe even more (considering Munich/Annecy combined for just 32 votes, and China/Japan probably sided with Europe too). I am still shocked.

Here are some reactions on the result: Reactions

I wonder if all these Europeans/Pound voted for PC or just paid lip service after. Seeing how the voting went, PC was able to pick up at least 1/3 of the Euro votes, and maybe even more (considering Munich/Annecy combined for just 32 votes, and China/Japan probably sided with Europe too). I am still shocked.

I think those seem genuine enough. I'd be curious to hear the genuine sentiments of the Japanese/Chinese IOC'ers. Some, especially the newer, younger IOC Euro members, I believe, do possess a sense of fairness and fair play. And if those 6 weren't absent or abstaining, PC might've actually gone for 68 or 69!!

Is it just me, or do Bach's words seem ambiguous, to say the least.

Yeah, Bach wants to say so much more. I don't agree with him but I'm willing to give him a pass because losing something you worked so hard for is a crappy feeling.

Yeah, Bach wants to say so much more. I don't agree with him but I'm willing to give him a pass because losing something you worked so hard for is a crappy feeling.

Personally, I think it augurs well that he might be slightly blunter as IOC prez than Jacques.

I'm a bit disappointed with Bach--there's no acknowledgement of the excellence of the PC bid. I mean, they've already built almost every competition venue already. ALREADY. How's that for commitment?

Best bid won. Best of two very strong bids.

So IOC members from the candidate cities, plus JR did not vote, but there was and 8th person that was asked to hand in his voting machine. Does anyone know why that was?

Oswald was openly supporting Baku, a non-declared candidate. He wanted to do a write-in.

Just kidding. I think there was a conflict-of-interests of some sort.

I'm a bit disappointed with Bach--there's no acknowledgement of the excellence of the PC bid. I mean, they've already built almost every competition venue already. ALREADY. How's that for commitment?

Once again: Thomas Bach has fought hard for four years to get the Winter Games to Munich. You just cannot expect that he's satisfied now about losing against a bid without obviously ever having had a real chance (contrary to what the bid index and other predictions made us believe), against a bid which maybe promises decent venues and neat organisation but leaves some huge questions regarding public interest for the Games in the host country.

Pyeongchang gets enough praise these days, so it doesn't need Bach's praise, too.

Oswald was openly supporting Baku, a non-declared candidate. He wanted to do a write-in.

Just kidding. I think there was a conflict-of-interests of some sort.

Right. Our dear moderator recently reported:

Last year Denis Oswald declared that he would abstain from voting in order to avoid a conflict of interest resulting from a sponsorship deal last year between his International Rowing Federation and PyeongChang supporter Samsung.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympic_bids/2018_bid_news/1216135784.html

I am so sick of hearing that a PC Games will bring winter sports to Asia. For fuckks sake. Sapporo didn't. Nagano didn't. the Asian Winter Games for the most haven't. Apart from a handful of countries in a handful of disciplines they will never catch on!

Pakistan. Malaysia. Myanmar - they just do not care about curling, ice hockey, skeleton, ski jumping, moguls...

Oh well - congrats PC - I look forward to easy access to 95% of event tickets (overpriced as it will be) with CoSport!

I am so sick of hearing that a PC Games will bring winter sports to Asia. For fuckks sake. Sapporo didn't. Nagano didn't. the Asian Winter Games for the most haven't. Apart from a handful of countries in a handful of disciplines they will never catch on!

So was 'nature.' ;)

But hey, it's a nice spin that sells.

Pakistan. Malaysia. Myanmar - they just do not care about curling, ice hockey, skeleton, ski jumping, moguls...

Oh well - congrats PC - I look forward to easy access to 95% of event tickets (overpriced as it will be) with CoSport!

By "Asia" they must mean "Northeast Asia" and by that they mean "NE Asia outside Japan," since winter sports are already (I guess?) nominally popular there by comparison to Korea.

What does that leave? SK, maybe parts of China. But these countries are really so insulated from one another vis-a-vis European states that I doubt there will be any winter sports excitement rub-off from PC on the Chinese.

On the other hand, it will make China lust after a Harbin games even harder - for prestige reasons alone.

Funny you mention Pakistan, though. If their mountains weren't such a shooting range right now it would be a much better place for winter sports development. Maybe India or Nepal, if the former could get its act together organizing something. We'll probably see somewhere in Central Asia first.

Yes, the presentations are just about totally irrelevant at this point.

I don't think so. PC pulled out its "hidden ace" with Toby Dawson. I think he told a compelling story--even if it was a little "stretched." But he caught my attention and I certainly thought...hmmmmm, he makes a valid point.

The presentations are the lever for the undecideds. If you present an entertaining show, you get them in your column.

Saporo did bring winter sports to Japan's national consciousness, and Nagano has also left them competitive in a few sports (Ski Jumping, Nordic Combined, Sakting, Snowboarding, Freestyle).

Admitedly Korea has no snow sport tradition, but they have a very strong ice sport tradition. IIRC nobody complained about Italy's poor ice sport tradition when they where awarded 2006.

Oh well, it was 20 years since the games where in Asia and it was Korea's turn.

Saporo did bring winter sports to Japan's national consciousness, and Nagano has also left them competitive in a few sports (Ski Jumping, Nordic Combined, Sakting, Snowboarding, Freestyle).

Admitedly Korea has no snow sport tradition, but they have a very strong ice sport tradition. IIRC nobody complained about Italy's poor ice sport tradition when they where awarded 2006.

Oh well, it was 20 years since the games where in Asia and it was Korea's turn.

Yep, you pretty much nailed it.

I'll never understand why some people get bothered when a single two-week event can't transform the sporting culture of an entire continent. Nagano helped, Pyeongchang will help, and so will a future Harbin in the 30's or 40's. The Pyeongchang Games are part of an ongoing process to help galvanize winter sports in Asia, but this is going to take decades. Despite any rhetoric during the bidding race, the IOC is smart enough to realize that. Either that, or as Baron said, it's a good sell.

Well, it's also the physiogonomic nature of things. The alpine sports were made for & invented by the heavier, bigger European-type body; whereas say speedskating and a number of the ice sports are made for the smaller, more compact, swifter Asian-type body. So unless you do 2 categories in everything: heavyweight and lightweight, then the odds will always favor the one the sport was originally designed (and codified) for.

Now, if you throw in chess or card games, then it doesn't matter who is the bigger/smaller player. It's the brain and luck that will decide. ;)

Archived