2018 Decision Live Chat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Munich should be on by now. It's almost 9:30 Pacific time for me; so nearly 12:30 midnite East; so shouldn't it have started already?

No, double check the time conversion. They do not even start until 2:30 AM Eastern. Munich will start at 2:45 AM Eastern. So, that would be around 11:30 PM Pacific and 11:45 PM Pacific, respectively.

Maybe we can make a drinking game of it.

Everyone downs a shotglass of spirits whenever a presenter says the words "vision" or "passion".

And everybody gulp a glass of wine whenever Prince Albert asks a question.

And we finish the bottle if Annecy wins.

No, double check the time conversion. They do not even start until 2:30 AM Eastern. Munich will start at 2:45 AM Eastern. So, that would be around 11:30 PM Pacific and 11:45 PM Pacific, respectively.

Right. Time difference is -6 hours with east coast aand -9 hours with west coast.

Hi, all. Will try to stay up for the duration, but this is going to be the wee hours of the morning for me here in California.

I can't say I have a super vested interest in this race, but I'm still excited. I hope the overall quality of the presentations is better than 2016. I doubt anything will top London 2012's polish, though.

My personal feeling is that anything other than PC will cause major shock waves. After the drama/trauma of 2016, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see PC heartbroken. Boy, would that be heartbreak though....ouch.

Would it be that bad if Annecy wins?

Fair question.

I don't think it would be bad for the Olympic Games.

It would be very sour for PC.

The worst would be dealing with the likes of Tulsa and nature. We'll never hear the end of it....

Calamitous!! It would be about as bad as picking Qatar 2022. Not because it's a bad bid but the rejection of the better and more deserving bids.

It would be very sour for PC.

The worst would be dealing with the likes of Tulsa and nature. We'll never hear the end of it....

Exactly.

Fair question.

I don't think it would be bad for the Olympic Games.

My thought exactly. I've got nothing against Annecy per se ... just seriously doubt they have a chance of winning, and dread the reaction of the terrible two if they do.

Bad? I honestly cannot say. The issue is I just have a lingering bad taste and memory in my mouth from Albertville. It was way too spread out, there was no real feeling of community and the venue design was horrible, especially the speed skating oval. My fear is Annecy would just be Albertville 2.0, spread out venues again. Plus, with two hub cities, Annecy and Chamonix, the bid seems to have a split identity. Who is really the host city?

This is just my current assessment. I am trying to be fair and to keep an open mind to REASONABLE arguments, but honestly, I feel either Munich or PC could do this better than Annecy could.

Calamitous!! It would be about as bad as picking Qatar 2022. Not because it's a bad bid but the rejection of the better and more deserving bids.

I couldn't really care less who wins, but I think that this year there are no better bids. They're all equal from my standpoint. And as far as being deserving, well, everyone deserved everything; just ask everyone.

honestly, I feel either Munich or PC could do this better than Annecy could.

You're probably right, but I don't think Annecy would do a bad job. I think they'd still stage successful Games and athletes and spectators alike would enjoy them.

Bad? I honestly cannot say. The issue is I just have a lingering bad taste and memory in my mouth from Albertville. It was way too spread out, there was no real feeling of community and the venue design was horrible, especially the speed skating oval. My fear is Annecy would just be Albertville 2.0, spread out venues again. Plus, with two hub cities, Annecy and Chamonix, the bid seems to have a split identity. Who is really the host city?

Annecy's plan was totally revamped (after the IOC preliminary evaluation) to address the concerns that you're mentioning. Annecy's plan is far more compact now than their intial plan was. And all three 2018 bids have the 'two-hub' cities. One for the Ice venues & one for Alpine. Not to mention so did Vancouver with Whistler, & Turin with Barnedecchio, & so will Sochi with Krasnaya Polyana.

The thing that is hampering Annecy the most this time around is timing & geopolitcs. Not to mention the big ups & downs in their campaign throughout the process. If it wasn't for these things, Annecy would be a very formidable bid. I think if they lose & decide to bid for 2022, their bid could be one of the favorites in that race.

You're probably right, but I don't think Annecy would do a bad job. I think they'd still stage successful Games and athletes and spectators alike would enjoy them.

Yes, I agree with this as well.

Sometimes I come onto this site and I read negative stuff about Annecy like it has no chance in hell

I think they could pull off a very successful WOG.

My personal choice is Munich. Big city with mountains close around it. Sorta like Vancouver.

Maybe voters won't vote for Annecy as to not rule out a Paris bid for 2024. Ultimately, it would just be a perfect scenario for Paris to host on its 100th anniversary since the 1924 games which would mean Asia would have an upper hand at the 2020 SOG. I'd prefer a Paris 2024 SOG over a Rome 2020 games.

I don't think that it's a matter that Annecy doesn't stand a chance, rather than the geopolitics just don't favor it this time around. It was like Madrid for 2016. Madrid was very capable of organizing the 2016 Olympics, but the geopolitics are what kept them from doing so.

Sometimes I come onto this site and I read negative stuff about Annecy like it has no chance in hell

I don't think the negativity has been about their abilities to host. I don't think anybody would really doubt their capability to put on a good show - after all, they've already done it three times fairly successfully.

But for all the reasons mentioned above - timing, geopolitics, a pretty patchy campaign - I actually think it's quite right to say their chances of winning are close to nil. Decent plan (eventually) - f**ked campaign and execution.

I slightly favor Annecy because, in my mind, it offers the most unique concept. Ever since I have been closely following the Winter Games they have all be held in large cosmopolitan cities ('02, '06, '10), and I think Annecy offers a chance to get back to the more "romantic" Games of the past. I imagine that an Annecy Games would be similar to the small town atmospheres of Lillehammer, Lake Placid, and the like. Obviously it's hard to tell what the atmosphere will be like 7 years in advance, but when you have no dog in the race, it's all you need to make a decision.

Munich seems like it would be another in the line of grand cosmopolitan experiences, and PC just reminds me of Sochi: fine in all regards, but lacking passion and magic. I'm sure they would all be great though, and I'm looking forward to attend regardless of who wins.

Archived