New sports at 2020 Olympics

gotosy

• 2 months later...
Kiteboarders eye Tokyo 2020 Olympics

olympickiteboarding3.jpg

Kiteboarding is opening a new chapter in its route to the Olympic Games. The wind sport will be showcased in the ISAF Sailing World Cup Grand Final 2014, in Abu Dhabi.

A total of 20 male and female course race kiteboarders will compete before a representative of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), looking after a recommendation and inclusion in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

The sport failed the 2016 Olympic Games, but the International Kiteboarding Association (IKA) has continued to lobby and make presentations to the IOC. The delegates seemed to like the idea of a short track format.

Basically, it involves round-robin heats of five kiteboarders competing against one another. Heats begin with a reaching start at the windward end of the windward-leeward track, with riders completing two downwind and one upwind leg before a reach to the finish near the shoreline.

The planned 350-meter by 350-meter boundary for the track ensures confined racing, in contrast to a key drawback to Formula Kite course racing where riders can be spread out over a large area. Short track heats will be only four to five minutes long.

"In broadcasting terms that makes it much easier as you can have commercial breaks between heats. It sounds funny, or silly. But for the IOC, it's a big issue to make it work for television," explains Markus Schwendtner, CEO at IKA.

"Riders arguing against short track tend to come from a sailing background and are perhaps more conservative. Those who came from freestyle are more open to change and like the fast-paced Short Track. But I think the vast majority is very positive."

http://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding/11191-kiteboarders-eye-tokyo-2020-olympics

Olympics - Former IOC vice president Pound backs squash inclusion

REUTERS - Former International Olympic Committee vice president Dick Pound is confident the IOC will drop regulations limiting the number of sports on the Games programme and says squash should be brought into the Olympic fold.

Pound, also the former president of the World Anti-Doping Agency, said the sport had women to thank for raising standards and bringing squash into the Olympic debate.

Speaking at the opening ceremony of the Women's World Team Championship in Canada, Pound said squash deserved its place on the programme and promised to work to get it there.

"As I look around the room at the many delegates who will participate in these championships, I cannot help thinking, as a member of the International Olympic Committee, that squash should be in the Olympic Games," he said in his opening address.

"I will do my best to make that dream a reality.

"If that happens, it will be a direct result of the high level of the women's game, not those of the men, which will make the difference.

"So you have both opportunity and responsibility."

The IOC hopes to overhaul the Games to make them more attractive to fans and sponsors, and is keen to make it easier for popular sports to get onto the Olympic programme.

Later this month, an IOC session in Monaco will vote on a list of recommendations as part of President Thomas Bach's Agenda 2020, which could usher in the most significant changes to the Olympics in decades.

Squash and a joint softball/baseball bid lost to wrestling for a spot at the 2020 Games in Tokyo but the IOC is looking at changing the seven-year rule for a sport's inclusion to tap into potential new viewers and sponsors.

"The IOC will be meeting in Monaco next week and I am confident that we will abolish the rule against an artificial limit of 28 sports -- and I cannot think of a better example of fitness, skill, strategy and fair play than squash," said Pound.

Reuters

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/12/02/olympics-squash-idINKCN0JG07920141202

I hope they raise the minimum number of sports to AT LEAST 40 so the Olympics can stay ahead of the Asian Games!! Smaller seating capacities at 40 venues will be cheaper than if the IOC/host city had gone for 50 sports needing 50,000 seat stadia!! 11,000 athletes are cheaper than if 15,000 had been included!!

Tokyo governor worried by cost of adding new Olympic sports in 2020

Kyodo

Tokyo Gov. Yoichi Masuzoe on Tuesday cautiously welcomed the International Olympic Committee’s decision to open up the event to new sports but spoke of anxiety over the costs of providing them in 2020.

Masuzoe said he will have to discuss the possible inclusion of new disciplines with the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee.

In Monaco, the IOC on Monday approved a new framework, scrapping the current cap of 28 sports at the Summer Games and allowing the addition of new pursuits, which could enable the return of baseball and softball, and karate.

Referring to baseball’s chances, Masuzoe said Tokyo must first gain international support, as the Japanese professional baseball and U.S. major leagues will be in season during the Olympics.

Kyodo

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/12/09/national/tokyo-governor-worried-by-cost-of-adding-new-olympic-sports-in-2020/#.VIbEW3vqWAU

I'm against adding or cutting sports to Tokyo's programme. Sure baseball/softball or karate are very popular in Japan but there was already a process to decide which sports were in and which were out and the result was dropping wrestling and adding it again. I like having a more flexible sports programme, but that should be from 2024 onwards.

Archery`s International Federation is proposing inclusion of a mixed team event at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics

The Executive Board of archery’s international federation demonstrated a clear commitment to supporting the International Olympic Committee’s strategic roadmap

The World Archery Executive Board met in Nottingham, GBR this weekend and discussed the impact of Olympic Agenda 2020 on the federation’s strategic plan. Discussions focused around how the sport could support the International Olympic Committee in implementing these reforms for the benefit of the federation and the entire Olympic Movement.

Led by World Archery President Prof Dr Ugur ERDENER, who is also a member of the IOC’s Executive Board and recently returned from the 127th IOC Session in Monaco, 11 key areas were discussed.

Among those topics were the need to reinforce cooperation between member associations, the World Games and the Masters Games; making the federation’s operations more sustainable; the future role of international federations in the organisation of Games, and a strategy to maximise benefits the new Olympic Channel might have to World Archery.

The impact of the move to an events-based Olympic sports programme was also discussed and the Executive Board endorsed the submission of the mixed team event to the IOC for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

The mixed team competition is already featured at the Youth Olympic and World Games.

http://www.worldarchery.org/NEWS/News/ArtMID/10510/ArticleID/9781/World-Archery-Executive-Board-embraces-Olympic-Agenda-2020-recommendations

It likely would result in both team events being dropped.

Not sure about that. Biathlon managed to get it's cake and eat it to when adding a mixed event. I honestly don't see the archery people pushing for a mixed team event if it means giving up the two team events they have right now. Just no incentive to do so.

• Like 1

Not sure about that. Biathlon managed to get it's cake and eat it to when adding a mixed event. I honestly don't see the archery people pushing for a mixed team event if it means giving up the two team events they have right now. Just no incentive to do so.

Well, biathlon is a very strong and popular on TV sport in the main WOG countries (Germany, Norway, Russia...), and there was still room for events in winter.

Archery is not exactly among the prime summer sports, so they may not have it all their way.

I agree. World Archery wants that as an addition, but the IOC is most likely going to say, drop the other events first. After all we are at a cap of 310 events. If baseball/softball and squash are added, we would be at the 310 threshold for Tokyo.

Well, biathlon is a very strong and popular on TV sport in the main WOG countries (Germany, Norway, Russia...), and there was still room for events in winter.

Archery is not exactly among the prime summer sports, so they may not have it all their way.

I don't see the IOC wanting to add this without removing the two existing events. But I also don't see World Archery pursuing this if it doesn't mean they get a fifth event.

• 4 weeks later...

TOKYO (AP) -- Karate is making a push to be part of the program for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

New reforms by the IOC have given karate officials renewed hope that the martial art could be added to the Tokyo games and the head of the World Karate Federation is meeting with 2020 organizers to make his case for the sport's inclusion.

''Karate is a sport with Japanese roots,'' WKF President Antonio Espinos said at a news conference Thursday. ''Together with the Japanese Karate Federation, we are doing everything we can to make sure karate is part of the program in the 2020 Olympics.''

Under the new reforms, known as ''Olympic Agenda 2020,'' the IOC will limit the games program by the number of events rather than number of sports, allowing new competitions to come in. Host cities will also be allowed to propose the inclusion of one or more additional events for their games.

The World Karate Federation says there are 100 million practitioners around the world. Karate is hoping to make it after bids for the 2012 and 2016 Olympics failed.

Espinos said that his sport doesn't require specially-built venues and the competition could be held over three days, making it an attractive addition to the Olympic program.

Because of their popularity in Japan, baseball and softball, which were dropped after the Beijing Olympics, are considered to have the best chance of being added.

Squash, roller sports, sports climbing, wakeboard and wushu are also hopeful of joining the Tokyo program.

Ap

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/karate-bidding-included-program-2020-olympics-085342483--spt.html

Tokyo organizers create panel on new sports for 2020 Games

TOKYO (AP) Tokyo Olympic organizers have set up a panel to determine which additional sports events will be added to the program for the 2020 Games.

Under the IOC's ''Olympic Agenda 2020'' reforms, host cities are allowed to propose the inclusion of one or more additional events for their games.

Because of their popularity in Japan, baseball and softball, which were dropped from the Olympic program after the 2008 Beijing Games, are considered to have the best chance of being added.

The seven-member panel includes representatives from the Japanese Olympic Committee, the Tokyo organizing committee, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and prominent figures from the business and sporting worlds.

Karate, squash, roller sports, sports climbing, wakeboard and wushu are also hopeful of joining the Tokyo 2020 program.

AP

http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/story/tokyo-organizers-create-panel-on-new-sports-for-2020-games-011415