Who do you want to win, who do you think'll win?

2018 Winter Olympics  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which bid do you WANT to win?

2. 2. Which bid do you THINK will win?

Witt is not a celebrity. She is the head of this bid. She has worked very hard and traveled all around world to promote Munichs bid. Not like Kim Yu-na, who was/is present at two presentations. I think thats a huge difference and could make an impact.

Munich has asked Nowitzki to come to Durban, but he declined.

You have true about Witt ;) Germans are lucky to have Witt. It's funny about Kim because she don't live in Korea and she practice skating in Canada...

If Annecy isn't lucky I hope Munich will win.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Tulsa, nature. Can't you leave just ONE thread free from your politicking, and just let everyone have their guesses/predictions without you taking exception to anybody who doesn't like/predict what you prefer? You've had enough threads already that you've spammed with your Anti-PC diatribes. The race is done now - you're not gonna to change any minds (and remember, the only minds you have changed in this race is to make more people here sympathetic to PC).

<_<

Anyway, I voted Munich as both my wish and my expectation.

I've spent the past few weeks trying to convince myself that Munich is in the box seat now. And I think there's good reason - I think Munich's got the momentum, has the "story" to appeal and Germany has the support base and influence and goodwill within the IOC. I've also always been sceptical of the notion throughout the race that PC always been the favourite and a slam dunk - I don't think the Korean influence in the IOC is as strong as it once was, I don't think the "new frontiers" appeal is as strong as it was a few bid cycles ago, and (the curse of the front-runner) I don't think the bid team has been that successful in selling any message beyond "it would be nice to go to a new location and we've done the hard yards twice before". And if there has been an "aha" moment for me in the race, it was in the reporting of the recent ANOCA presentations, where it seems both Munich and Annecy were quite high-profile and energetic in their lobbying and campaigning, but PC - by all accounts - were flooundering and rather low-key (though low-key and behind closed doors often seems to describe the various Asian bid campaigns best).

But ...

I'm still wary that there might be a bit of "wishful" thinking clouding my estimation. I almost hate being emotionally invested towards a particular bid (and, yes, I am so invested to Munich). I just wonder if I really am viewing it objectively and injecting too much personal preference into my prediction. But, no matter how many times I go over it in my mind, i still can't escape the notion that I don't think PC is as overwhelming a frontrunner as widely believed during the race, and that Munich has been making the running for the past few months.

One last point - I dispute the notion that somehow if the IOC don't vote for PC it's a sign that sinister politics won over objectivity and that third time should go to them by by right. Tell that to the good citizens of Paris, Madrid, Istanbul, Detroit, Ostersund, Berchetsgaden etc etc. Persistence sometimes pays off, or it can be foolhardy. But it doesn't guarantee anything. And it's laughable to think the notion of a PC loss will somehow shatter the IOC and sully it's reputation. A PC loss would just be one of those footnotes of bidding history within days that nobody but the likes of us bid-watchers will even remember or care about. There's good reasons that all three "deserve" to win.

The law is the Law. We must obey the law. It was a reckless challenge from the beginning. Pyeongchang downhill venue is the primeval forest and national forest. Under current law, development is illegal. If Pyeongchang wins it will be the lawless state in Korea.

Samsung Lee special pardon for the bid.

The law is the Law. We must obey the law. It was a reckless challenge from the beginning. Pyeongchang downhill venue is the primeval forest and national forest. Under current law, development is illegal. If Pyeongchang wins it will be the lawless state in Korea.

Samsung Lee special pardon for the bid.

And there's plenty of threads (many of those you started yourself) where you can enlighten us about the LAW. This thread is just about predictions of what's going to happen in two day's time - not whether the bids are morally justified or not.

I know, the Olympic Games are a major international convention, just not the sport event. That's why politicians cling excessively. But, Korea's conditions are not good. There is no poential. Anyway it is true. Spread winter sports in Asia? Southeast Asia? or Where ? Well, is impossible. Everyone knows. Is not the normal bid.

I know, the Olympic Games are a major international convention, just not the sport event. That's why politicians cling excessively. But, Korea's conditions are not good. There is no poential. Anyway it is true. Spread winter sports in Asia? Southeast Asia? or Where ? Well, is impossible. Everyone knows. Is not the normal bid.

Yesd, I'm sure everybody is aware of your points from the other hundred plus times you posted it in other threads.

But the point of this thread is not to discuss that - but to predict the vote!! Why do you need to spam this one?

For months and months I thought PyeongChang had this in the bag. If someone forced me to put money on it, I'd still bet PC, but it's starting to feel like a dead heat. A Munich surprise doesn't seem at all out of the question. It feels like Munich may have the edge in terms of momentum. If Munich's presentation is stellar and PC's is just adequate -- maybe Germany will pull it off. Months ago I did not expect it to feel so close.

I believe the momentum in the final stretch will swing in Munich's favour. I can already just picture their presentation. Not only is Munich's bid excellent, having a previous Summer Olympics host city host a Winter Olympic looks very attractive, plus Germany's a super power in Winter sport and haven't hosted an Olympic games in quite a while. As some have mentioned, if Pyeongchang doesn't win on the first ballot then I really can't see them pulling off a win in the 2nd round.

I'm still wary that there might be a bit of "wishful" thinking clouding my estimation. I almost hate being emotionally invested towards a particular bid (and, yes, I am so invested to Munich). I just wonder if I really am viewing it objectively and injecting too much personal preference into my prediction. But, no matter how many times I go over it in my mind, i still can't escape the notion that I don't think PC is as overwhelming a frontrunner as widely believed during the race, and that Munich has been making the running for the past few months.

I really hope you're right about it being just wishful thinking on your part. I too was not emotionally invested in this race until a few months ago. I was emotionally invested for 2014, but lost all hope after that vote 4 years ago, thinking that no matter how hard we tried, the IOC would continue to snub new places in favour of the traditional Europe and North America. I only began posting here because someone had remarked that there were no Korean supporters on these boards. But through my posts I became emotionally invested once again. Only, my emotional investment forces me to believe that PC is not the frontrunner because I feel the need to fear the worst. And if it is the frontrunner, there is no room for error up until the moment of the voting.

I haven't voted in this poll because I think the race is too close at the moment. But at least I can take solace in the fact that, in my opinion, Sochi had far greater momentum leading to the 2014 race than any supposed momentum Munich has at this point. I haven't really heard of any reason why Munich has the momentum. Sochi had starpower in Putin and Sharapova come to Guatemala, and built an ice rink outside for their figure skating stars to perform. I'm still not clear as to how Munich has the momentum, apart from endorsement from the Munich-loving media.

I really hope you're right about it being just wishful thinking on your part. I too was not emotionally invested in this race until a few months ago. I was emotionally invested for 2014, but lost all hope after that vote 4 years ago, thinking that no matter how hard we tried, the IOC would continue to snub new places in favour of the traditional Europe and North America. I only began posting here because someone had remarked that there were no Korean supporters on these boards. But through my posts I became emotionally invested once again. Only, my emotional investment forces me to believe that PC is not the frontrunner because I feel the need to fear the worst. And if it is the frontrunner, there is no room for error up until the moment of the voting.

I haven't voted in this poll because I think the race is too close at the moment. But at least I can take solace in the fact that, in my opinion, Sochi had far greater momentum leading to the 2014 race than any supposed momentum Munich has at this point. I haven't really heard of any reason why Munich has the momentum. Sochi had starpower in Putin and Sharapova come to Guatemala, and built an ice rink outside for their figure skating stars to perform. I'm still not clear as to how Munich has the momentum, apart from endorsement from the Munich-loving media.

LOL - I guess we both have our personal preferences and are wary of getting our hops up too much. But I do sincerely offer you best of luck for your choice - and I'll be all too glad to see the terrible twosome of Tulsa and nature have to swallow crow whole if PC gets up.

I agree with you that I think Munich's momentum is not as strong as that for Sochi, or London or Rio in the final months for that matter. But ever since the referendums and the Kandahar decision, which hampered Munich's ability to campaign fully earlier in the cycle, they've been the ones making the marketing splash lately - and really, that's all it is in the final couple of months, the marketing and capturing headlines (well, that, and the serious one-to-one lobbying behind closed doors).

Anyway, best of luck!

Annecy could win. The IOC is well known for paying back losing repeat bidders. Sochi was a result of Moscow 2012, Vancouver (to a much lesser degree) was a result of Toronto 2008. Torino from Rome 2004. Athens due to Atlanta. Sydney due to the losses by Melbourne and Brisbane (and the shitstorm that would have resulted in a Beijing win) etc etc. PC could benefit from this - but more likely not. Is the Annecy bid the best bid? No - but that hardly matters. Plus it kills off Paris for another decade or so.

This is Annecy's only saving grace, though. And I just don't see enough of the IOC members voting this way in this race to keep Annecy around for round 2. Although, I must admit, that Annecy's 'lake concept' is starting to grow on me. Let's just save it for 2022, though. lol.

LOL - I guess we both have our personal preferences and are wary of getting our hops up too much. But I do sincerely offer you best of luck for your choice - and I'll be all too glad to see the terrible twosome of Tulsa and nature have to swallow crow whole if PC gets up.

I agree with you that I think Munich's momentum is not as strong as that for Sochi, or London or Rio in the final months for that matter. But ever since the referendums and the Kandahar decision, which hampered Munich's ability to campaign fully earlier in the cycle, they've been the ones making the marketing splash lately - and really, that's all it is in the final couple of months, the marketing and capturing headlines (well, that, and the serious one-to-one lobbying behind closed doors).

Anyway, best of luck!

And best of luck to you too!

Isn't it nice when peace reigns and two passionate fans can be respectful?

As for me, I almost wish the Munich supporters would tone it down just a bit only because they are getting my hopes up too. I am, unfortunately, emotionally attached to Munich getting the Games much as I was two years ago for Chicago. The difference here is I could live with PC and console myself with Munich trying again for 2022.

Suffice to say I will be glued to the set and/or my PC, watching the vote and hoping Munich does not suffer Chicago's fate of a surprise bounce in the first round.

Just to point out

1984: Gotenburg lost

1988: Falun lost (the favourite)

1992: Falun lost (the favourite)

1994: Ostersund lost (the favourite)

1998: Ostersund lost

2002: Ostersund lost

6 loses consecutively by Sweden (and a lose in 2004 with the best bid)

Korea losing again with China and Kazahkstan on the horizon, not the biggest of issues. It won't rip apart the IOC because honestly of 110 members, only 40ish truly care about winter sport. And for many podunk Korea vs. metropolitan Germany is what they are going to choice between.

Munich bid CEO Bernard Schwank believes all three candidates in the race to host the 2018 Winter Olympics still have a chance of landing the Games as the German city, Annecy and PyeongChang enter the final straight ahead of Wednesday's vote in Durban, South Africa.

Munich is hoping to become the first city to host the Summer and Winter Games, while PyeongChang in South Korea is bidding for the third successive Winter Olympics. Although Annecy was thought to be the outsider after difficulties in the early months of the campaign, which included the departure of bid CEO Edgar Grospiron, Schwank has refused to rule the French city out of the running.

“There are three bidders in this race,” Schwank told a press conference. “Do not forget anybody in a race. Until the last (IOC) session everyone has a chance. We would not like to compare our bid with the others. It is up to the media and the IOC at the end to decide.” Thomas Bach, and IOC vice-president and Germany’s top Olympic official, told the Associated Press: “We feel that we can win, but we are sportsmen enough to realise that on the given day someone else might be better. We haven't hosted Winter Games in 80 years.”

Annecy bid president Charles Beigbeder told AFP: “We have a vision that serves the entire world, not one country and one continent. Our vision is in line with what the Olympic movement would like to have now. We are here to put on an authentic Games. We are not there to get a trophy for a company or a country.”

PyeongChang has been considered as the favourite by some observers, but IOC president Jacques Rogge referred to the 1994 bid race, which saw the Norwegian town of Lillehammer edge out favourite Ostersund in Sweden, as an example of how the form guide can be misleading.

“You have to fight until the end,” Rogge told AFP. “I always take the battle for the 1994 Winter Olympics as an example. Everybody viewed Ostersund as the unstoppable force, and they were candidates for the fifth or sixth time. But it was Lillehammer who won and delivered a fabulous Olympics. At a certain moment they created the right chemistry in their bid, and that can even come on the final day.”

© SportBusiness

I have just learned that the ISRAELI (!) IOC-member is in favor of Munich. I cant believe it.

So what? Not like Germany was guilty for the Black September or like they're going to act resentful like Hitler was still alive. I don't find wrong that Israel supports Germany.

A lot of IOC members feel nostalgic for the Munich 1972 according to several experts.

Ha! Ha! Fell for it!! Of course, some of them will say they're nostalgic for this or that -- to throw everybody off the scent. Doesn't necessarily mean that's the button they will press!

I'm a BLOODHOUND!! :lol::lol:

I have just learned that the ISRAELI (!) IOC-member is in favor of Munich. I cant believe it.

Israel has always been supportive of the Munich bid. I think they're quite happy to see the games become a tribute to the murdered athletes of '72.

Why is that so shocking? The city of Munich never did anything wrong in 1972, it was a security issue. We'll see how the votes break down in 24 hours.

Whoa!! PC surged in the "Who do you want to win" poll here! It's now even with Munchen.

I'm smelling a rat here. ;) Could it be that you hired some will-less day labourers to open accounts here and take part in the vote? ;)

No, seriously: Who ever wins the only important poll, namely the one only half a day away in Durban, I hope that that host city and the job it will deliver will benefit the Olympic Movement.

(P.S. That city of course can only be Munich. ;))

Archived