Who do you want to win, who do you think'll win?

2018 Winter Olympics  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which bid do you WANT to win?

2. 2. Which bid do you THINK will win?

Easy answer for me. My heart of hearts wants the Games in Munich, without question. But logic and my brain is bracing me for Korea. Not that it would be bad to see PC get the prize on their third try, but for historic and sentimental reasons, I'd be happier in Germany.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to point out

1984: Gotenburg lost

1988: Falun lost (the favourite)

1992: Falun lost (the favourite)

1994: Ostersund lost (the favourite)

1998: Ostersund lost

2002: Ostersund lost

6 loses consecutively by Sweden (and a lose in 2004 with the best bid)

Korea losing again with China and Kazahkstan on the horizon, not the biggest of issues. It won't rip apart the IOC because honestly of 110 members, only 40ish truly care about winter sport. And for many podunk Korea vs. metropolitan Germany is what they are going to choice between.

Well, as far as I know, it's because Sweden's ice/anchor city-alpine venues coupling is technically weak. So, if you can't present a fairly compact bid, then you're really handicapped. Fantasy "primeval" forests aren't even a problem.

I think if the IOC doesn't award them to Pyeonchang the internal politics within the Committee will get very, very ugly. More regionalism; more block votes.

Each bid of theirs has been strong. Each bid improves on the last. And Kim Yu-Na has the youth factor; Witt doesn't.

My connections in the IOC have been repeating the same thing - PC just does not have the momentum this time around and the continuing dramas between the KOC and the IFs have not done their bid any good.

Furthermore the bid is not that different to what they have offered the past 2 times. If PC is to win they need to do it in round 1 - and frankly they don't have the numbers and I doubt they have the second preferences in place. If they win in a landslide first round poll then there will be numerous questions about vote-rigging and buying. The KOC has been caught up in that mess before and the German and French NOCs will raise h-e-l-l if the numbers are out of whack. I think this election - while minor in the grand scheme of things - will prove that after the relative risks of Rio and Sochi the IOC going back to Europe and back to "safe hands".

Thus that leaves us Annecy or Munich.

Annecy could win. The IOC is well known for paying back losing repeat bidders. Sochi was a result of Moscow 2012, Vancouver (to a much lesser degree) was a result of Toronto 2008. Torino from Rome 2004. Athens due to Atlanta. Sydney due to the losses by Melbourne and Brisbane (and the shitstorm that would have resulted in a Beijing win) etc etc. PC could benefit from this - but more likely not. Is the Annecy bid the best bid? No - but that hardly matters. Plus it kills off Paris for another decade or so.

Munich - the Germans have been very strong bidders, fiercely competitive and successful athletes and keen winter sport spectators. The IOC will rarely see a winter package presented as well as what Munich has put on the table. Add in the historic Summer/Winter same host city factor and the 1972 "redemption" angle and you have a very, very solid package.

Thus I predict Munich in round 2 but PC may very well sneak in a round 1 win. PC wont win in round 2. They just do not aim for second choice votes and this has been their downfall twice. Annecy would be a small surprise - though not entirely unexpected.

I want Munich to win. However, I think with Rome announcing its intentions and Madrid following close behind it will be too much for Munich to recover from so I think Pyeonchang will win.

CONI are not universally loved by the IOC. Rome is not a sure thing regardless of whether PC wins or not.

I voted for PC to win, as I think that's the most likely outcome. As a spectator, I'd rather see Annecy get the nod. As someone working in sports industry, that will probably have to travel to the host city, I'd rather see Munich get it. Honestly, though, I couldn't really care less about how the vote goes.

I voted for PC to win, as I think that's the most likely outcome. As a spectator, I'd rather see Annecy get the nod. As someone working in sports industry, that will probably have to travel to the host city, I'd rather see Munich get it. Honestly, though, I couldn't really care less about how the vote goes.

The majority of winter industry in Europe is located near Annecy... ;)

I voted for Munich as my favourite (of course ;)), but also for Munich to win.

I think this has become a neck-and-neck race between Pyeongchang and Munich now, so the final presentations will probably decide. Pyeongchang can promise a lot and act with the professional calmness of someone who has been already twice through such a bidding process before. But in the end, their presentation in all its perfection could also come across sterile and overly-designed.

Munich on the other hand can convince (their presentations in the different Olympic conferences and sessions in recent months got good reactions apparently by the audiences), they can authentically convey the passion of the bidding region and country for winter sports and they simply have the more charming face, Katarina Witt.

There is a good reason for Pyeongchang, yes -- namely that it has only narrowly lost two previous elections already and that (regarding only that fact) it should actually be their time now. But in the end, I suppose that this won't count and the majority of IOC members will not feel sorry to pass them over for a third time.

There is a good reason for Pyeongchang, yes -- namely that it has only narrowly lost two previous elections already and that (regarding only that fact) it should actually be their time now. But in the end, I suppose that this won't count and the majority of IOC members will not feel sorry to pass them over for a third time.

You shouldn't forget that Germany bid for 1992, 2000 and 2012 not successfully either...

I read your thoughtful reply...but all I kept thinking was HOW DID YOU WIN EUROVISION THREE YEARS I A ROW?

You shouldn't forget that Germany bid for 1992, 2000 and 2012 not successfully either...

Well, that's a comparison between apples and oranges. The 1992, 2000 and 2012 were not bids of the same city, they were not even bids for only one kind of Olympic Games (either Summer or Winter) and they were not for three host city elections in a row. But at least it's true that Germany is not unknown to the IOC as Olympic bidder and the country has some experience in Olympic bids in recent years already.

I read your thoughtful reply...but all I kept thinking was HOW DID YOU WIN EUROVISION THREE YEARS I A ROW?

??? What and whom do you mean? By the way, the only country that won the Eurovision Song Contest three years in a row was Ireland. So do you mean any Irish member of this forum?

??? What and whom do you mean? By the way, the only country that won the Eurovision Song Contest three years in a row was Ireland. So do you mean any Irish member of this forum?

I think he meant TNMP, but I didn't got his remark about Ireland either (maybe TNMPs family is coming from Ireland like jawnbc's)

I think the race is too close to call so I won't bother guessing on the winner.

But I hope Pyeongchang wins it. The IOC will see the rewards of a Pyeongchang Games in 2018 and aferwards. Not before. They will probably not be the most charming group in Durban, and much of what they want to say will be lost in translation. Yuna Kim, no matter how great she is at smiling, and no matter how great of an athlete she is, cannot compete with the German bid team in engaging in humour or deep conversation with the voters in Durban. I fear Germany's better abilities in giving presentations and in charming others could win the day.

If decisions are made based on Katarina's charm and the presence of other mega-athletes like Beckenbauer rather than based on the potential legacy of the bids in expanding to new places and new people, then we will never get to see the rewards of a Pyeongchang Games.

I think the race is too close to call so I won't bother guessing on the winner.

But I hope Pyeongchang wins it. The IOC will see the rewards of a Pyeongchang Games in 2018 and aferwards. Not before. They will probably not be the most charming group in Durban, and much of what they want to say will be lost in translation. Yuna Kim, no matter how great she is at smiling, and no matter how great of an athlete she is, cannot compete with the German bid team in engaging in humour or deep conversation with the voters in Durban. I fear Germany's better abilities in giving presentations and in charming others could win the day.

If decisions are made based on Katarina's charm and the presence of other mega-athletes like Beckenbauer rather than based on the potential legacy of the bids in expanding to new places and new people, then we will never get to see the rewards of a Pyeongchang Games.

I hope CIO members vote for more than 1 or 2 celebrities... I would like mean if CIO vote Munich because Katarina speak better english than Kim it will be totally crazy, a Bid is more than a personality but you have true, sometimes a person can make a difference...

I don't think Beckenbauer come to support Munich like Zidane for France... It's WoG not football and France like Germany have lot of famous winter champions... But we could have some surprise... wait and see

7 years ago South Korea's politician said "Old people should not vote"

Pyeongchang is new, Munich is NOT new ? So, 2018 must go to new ?

I apart from everything, do not agree Pyeongchang's any claims at all.

You see, this is a perfectly example of something being lost in translation.

I can't understand what this idiot Korean is trying to say. Because this guy doesn't know how to speak English or French.

I can understand CAF, Goethe and all the other Germans much more than I can "nature."

If the Korean bid team speaks English the way "nature" does, that is a HUGE disadvantage to begin with.

If Munich should be elected, it wouldn't be based on the presentation only. I only said that the presentation will perhaps add the extra momentum to decide this election which, in my opinion, is absolutely dead even between Pyeongchang and Munich at this moment. So the many technical arguments would be the fundamentals for a Munich victory but the human argument would slightly tip the election so that Munich can carry the victory.

You see, this is a perfectly example of something being lost in translation.

I can't understand what this idiot Korean is trying to say. Because this guy doesn't know how to speak English or French.

I can understand CAF, Goethe and all the other Germans much more than I can "nature."

If the Korean bid team speaks English the way "nature" does, that is a HUGE disadvantage to begin with.

Don't be a tool, Gangwon. Don't trash talk someone for trying to communicate in a new language.

How many do you speak, chere reigne?

And by the way: Pyeongchang maybe advertises itself as a possibility to set a new sports legacy in a new country.

But can their be a stronger symbol for Olympic legacy then bringing Winter Games to a former Summer Games host city, using existing venues mostly (some of them from the 1972 Games) and therefore acting sustainably?

Sorry, but I still have big doubts about whether Olympic Winter Games can boost winter sports in Korea and would therefore be profitable for all who expect a big marketing success from such Games.

Don't be a tool, Gangwon. Don't trash talk someone for trying to communicate in a new language.

How many do you speak, chere reigne?

I'm not trash talking him solely for trying to communicate in a new language.

I'm trash talking him for playing dirty for the past 5-6 months. Everyone gets my respect to begin with, but anyone can lose my respect after repeated acts of idiocy. After that, everything's fair game.

Take your own advice.

And by the way: Pyeongchang maybe advertises itself as a possibility to set a new sports legacy in a new country.

But can their be a stronger symbol for Olympic legacy then bringing Winter Games to a former Summer Games host city, using existing venues mostly (some of them from the 1972 Games) and therefore acting sustainably?

Sorry, but I still have big doubts about whether Olympic Winter Games can boost winter sports in Korea and would therefore be profitable for all who expect a big marketing success from such Games.

Sustainability is a great feature. To me, that should ideally weigh in far more than charm does. But that's ideally.

I agree Munich offers a great legacy as well. It's just a matter of preference, as to which legacy one favours over the other: sustainability or expansion.

Like Rob, I haven't been following this race too closely because of an almost total lack of coverage here in Britain. Coming to it in the final few days, however, it appears a fascinating fight.

From a personal point of view, I would love to see Annecy win it. I remember going there about 15 years ago (in the middle of summer when it was baking hot rather than in February) and remember it being a glorious place. It would be a very nice reason for me to go back. However, I think Munich will win it in the end, not so much for the safe pair of hands but the summer-winter, 72 angle.

I hope CIO members vote for more than 1 or 2 celebrities... I would like mean if CIO vote Munich because Katarina speak better english than Kim it will be totally crazy, a Bid is more than a personality but you have true, sometimes a person can make a difference...

I don't think Beckenbauer come to support Munich like Zidane for France... It's WoG not football and France like Germany have lot of famous winter champions... But we could have some surprise... wait and see

Witt is not a celebrity. She is the head of this bid. She has worked very hard and traveled all around world to promote Munichs bid. Not like Kim Yu-na, who was/is present at two presentations. I think thats a huge difference and could make an impact.

Munich has asked Nowitzki to come to Durban, but he declined.

Archived