Who do you want to win, who do you think'll win?

2018 Winter Olympics  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which bid do you WANT to win?

2. 2. Which bid do you THINK will win?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My connections in the IOC have been repeating the same thing - PC just does not have the momentum this time around and the continuing dramas between the KOC and the IFs have not done their bid any good.

Furthermore the bid is not that different to what they have offered the past 2 times. If PC is to win they need to do it in round 1 - and frankly they don't have the numbers and I doubt they have the second preferences in place. If they win in a landslide first round poll then there will be numerous questions about vote-rigging and buying. The KOC has been caught up in that mess before and the German and French NOCs will raise h-e-l-l if the numbers are out of whack. I think this election - while minor in the grand scheme of things - will prove that after the relative risks of Rio and Sochi the IOC going back to Europe and back to "safe hands".

So what gives? You have connections, which led you to even guess a month ago that Annecy would outstrip Pyeongchang by a wide margin (you guessed 34 votes for Annecy, 22 for PC). This race wasn't a fluke. Your connections' predictions weren't even close. I'm trying to put your connections and the result together, but I can't. Your posts were one of the reasons I was cautious about PC. I feel like I worried over nothing.

He's just full of hot air. He said similar things about Rio, but look who went on, in a convincing win, to take on the 2016 Games.

Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way, was the subtle snide remarks by some of the other establised members on these boards. Certainly not as bad as Tulsa & nature, but still tasteless, nonetheless.

He's just full of hot air. He said similar things about Rio, but look who went on, in a convincing win, to take on the 2016 Games.

Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way, was the subtle snide remarks by some of the other establised members on these boards. Certainly not as bad as Tulsa & nature, but still tasteless, nonetheless.

Pathetic.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I'd rather read what he's hearing, even if it turns out to be wrong, than it not be posted here at all. I'm sure it was passed on in good faith.

I'd rather read what he's hearing, even if it's wrong, than it not be posted here. I'm sure it was passed on in good faith.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I still want to hear what he says too. But FYI is right in that there were a lot of tasteless comments made by some of the longer-established members of this board, who were given a free pass unlike Tulsa or nature.

I still want to hear what he says too. But FYI is right in that there were a lot of tasteless comments made by some of the longer-established members of this board, who were given a free pass unlike Tulsa or nature.

PC will stay the worst place where the WoG will be host... Never you can stop me about that, it's a wrong choice, and I'm sure 2018 will be a disaster to WoG... IOC is stupid, but I can't blame IOC members, Samsung had been generous with IOC... If 2018 is like each year you won't have snow in 2018, it will be very difficult for you without snow... Thank you IOC and Korea to Kill WoG in 2018.

PC will stay the worst place where the WoG will be host... Never you can stop me about that, it's a wrong choice, and I'm sure 2018 will be a disaster to WoG... IOC is stupid, but I can't blame IOC members, Samsung had been generous with IOC... If 2018 is like each year you won't have snow in 2018, it will be very difficult for you without snow... Thank you IOC and Korea to Kill WoG in 2018.

Don't worry, I won't try and stop you. You can post all you want. :)

Maybe North Korea stop PC dream... 2018 is so far :)

What a terrible thing to say. U bring shame to the French as a whole. U're lucky I know your opinion is just yours and does not represent that of the French, but man, what a sore loser u are.

Tulsa, grandis un peu! 2018 will HAPPEN without you. And there will be joy and happiness in Korea and PC and Alpensia without you!!

Grow up, Tulsa!

Ah, Tulsa.

I understand you're disappointed. The one thing I never picked on you for was for supporting your home town. That was always understandable and I tried to make allowances for that. It would have been weird if the likes of you, and memorabilia and Niege et al didn't.

But what struck in the craw was your constant carping that nobody here, or the IOC, knew anything about bidding, and, even more so, your malignant spamming assasination attempts on PC. It really was - not to skip around words - borderline racist. I think it really is true, and heartening, that your diatribes garnered more sympathy for PC than opponents.

I'd hoped you might have learned a bit (I doubt nature will, but I think you're not as bad), but reactions like yours so far aren't good signs. Okay, a day or two for sour grapes after a vote are also understandable, but we'll be watching.

Anyway, what I think I'm most pissed off about is losing my perfect (Games) vote prediction record on GB. I should've learned by the WC race (the only other one I got wrong - but I consoled myself that was FIFA, not the olympics) to be wary of letting personal inclinations colour wishful thinking. And, yeah, Puppy's inside intelligence had also influenced my growing belief Munich could do it a bit _ I can only assume at least some of those IOC contacts must have been from China. Pups is always worth heeding - we all get things wrong or bum steers.

I hope I'm not one of those that was considered to have stepped over the line with snide digs at PC. I made a few cracks over the race, but it was all fun more - I don't think I ever didn't respect the PC bid or plan.

I hope I'm not one of those that was considered to have stepped over the line with snide digs at PC. I made a few cracks over the race, but it was all fun more - I don't think I ever didn't respect the PC bid or plan.

Nope, not you at all. You conducted yourself fair & square. You had your personal preference, but that's understandable. We all do.

But the ones Gangwong & I are speaking of know who they are. They are also the ones to yet congradulate PyeongChang on their victory. And they've visited here since the vote, so that's not it. But's that okay, too. The most important thing is who actually won at the end of the day.

No, definitely not.

But it doesn't matter anyway. The race is done. Words can't hurt, lol.

Archived