Durban 2011 IOC Session

Let discuss general facts around this IOC session and election, and not partisan comments supporting one of the 2 bids !

To start, have a look on the special issue of Around The Rings, with good articles, not specialy around the 2018 race, but regarding the new IOC members election, the 2014 presidency race or the 2020 bidding process

oz4je3up.bz0.jpg

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=37336

Why is there over an hour between the election and the announcement? What happens in the meantime?

It is due to the fact that, it is not in the same room, so everyone has to change of room, they have to reorganize the seating plan regarding the 2 finalists, etc....

Who will vote ????

After Denis Oswald, Princess Ann announced she will not vote because of the sponsoring of her daughter by Samsung !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/8615420/Princess-Anne-unlikely-to-cast-ballot-in-vote-for-host-city-of-2018-Winter-Olympics.html

six IOC members have announced their absence: Prince Faisal Fahd Abdulaziz from Saudi Arabia, the Guinean Ibrahim Diallo, the American James Easton, Brazilian Joao Havelange, Indian Raja Randhir Singh and the Egyptian Mounir Sabet.

Au maximum 96 membres du Comité international olympique (CIO) prendront part au premier tour de l'élection de la ville hôte des JO-2018 qui départagera Annecy, Munich et Pyeongchang, mercredi à Durban, a-t-on appris lundi soir.

Outre les huit membres non-votants déjà connus mais présents en Afrique du sud, six ont en effet annoncé leur absence: le prince Nawal Faisal Fahd Abdulaziz d'Arabie saoudite, le Guinéen Ibrahim Diallo, l'Américain James Easton, le Brésilien Joao Havelange, l'Indien Raja Randhir Singh et l'Egyptien Mounir Sabet. Cette liste pourrait s'allonger avant le début des travaux de la 123e session, mercredi matin.

A ces absents s'ajoutent huit membres qui ne prendront pas part au vote pour diverses raisons, à commencer par le président du CIO Jacques Rogge, qui choisit traditionnellement de s'abstenir. Ensuite, les six ressortissants des pays concernés par la candidature sont interdits de vote au premier tour, soit les Allemands Thomas Bach et Claudia Bokel, les Français Jean-Claude Killy et Guy Drut, et les Sud-Coréens Lee Kun-hee et Moon Dae-sung. En cas de second tour, les deux ressortissants du pays dont la ville a été éliminée peuvent participer au scrutin.

Enfin, le Suisse Denis Oswald, président de la Fédération internationale d'aviron, avait annoncé en novembre dernier son intention de s'abstenir en raison du partenariat qui lie sa fédération avec Samsung, l'un des principaux soutiens économiques de la candidature de Pyeongchang.

http://m.eurosport.fr/jeux-olympiques/96-votants-au-1er-tour_sto2858821/m-ticker.shtml

six IOC members have announced their absence: Prince Faisal Fahd Abdulaziz from Saudi Arabia, the Guinean Ibrahim Diallo, the American James Easton, Brazilian Joao Havelange, Indian Raja Randhir Singh and the Egyptian Mounir Sabet.

Hmmmmm. That's NOT good for PC. I see 4 of those (plus Princess Anne) as potential votes for PC. So, in a close vote, 4 or 5 ballots could make the difference. Hopefully, PC will have enough extra votes to get it on the 2nd.

Hmmmmm. That's NOT good for PC. I see 4 of those (plus Princess Anne) as potential votes for PC. So, in a close vote, 4 or 5 ballots could make the difference. Hopefully, PC will have enough extra votes to get it on the 2nd.

Denis Oswald as well as Princess Anne are not voting either due to associations with Samsung. If PC loses by a few votes, I guess they can blame it on their sponsorship with Samsung. :o

Do you think those other memebers not in attendance would have voted for PC? It's kinda hard to say.

ATR news of the day : 49 Votes Could Decide 2018 Race; New Olympic Sports; Felli Defers Retirement

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=37373

So at first round we will have 98 possible voters, but Rogge, Oswald and Princess Ann will abstain.

So the majority at the first round would be 49, but with only 95 votes.

At the second round, majority will be at 51 votes, but with still 3 abstentions (as Rogge will only vote in case of tie)

And additional question from this ATR article... who will be the next IOC Games Director when Felli will retire after the Nanjing Games in 2014 ??? I have my idea....

Yes, I would think it would have been strategically better for Easton to vote PC, as it would give more room for an American bid in the next couple of cycles by granting Asia another Games.

It's not good for the US, to have one of their IOC members out ill. I don't know how much longer he will stay in the IOC since he had a stroke last year.

Even Easton may have voted for PC; as strategically, it would be good for the USA's chances in 2022.

I hope Pyeongchang can inspire all the members tomorrow and convince them why Pyeongchang really would be the best choice, so we won't have to rely on strategic voting.

It really is too bad though, that there will be so many members missing. It's always nice to have worldwide representation for these types of votes, regardless of who they support.

he never looked happier!<_< (that's a JR happy face)

I had the opportunity to meet him closely, I could assure you he could smile !

Archived