Good luck Annecy, München and 평창군

I wish the three cities good luck for the competition

I cross my fingers for München - not just because I am German, but I think it is a good bid and I believe the games would have a great legacy in Germany, Bavaria and Munich (but that shouldn't mean that the bids of Annecy and Pyeongchang are bad)

Good luck !

Hope the best bid that mixes technical expertise, legacy for the Olympic movement and true Winter Olympics' environment will win ....

"verklempft" is jiddish and means "overwhelmed", "happy", "excited" - there are many words/phrases in German, which have jiddish origin (e.g. Bammel, betucht, blau machen, Bohai, Chuzpe, dufte, Ganove, geschlaucht, großkotzig, "Hals und Beinbruch", Ische, Kies, Kluft, koscher, kotzen, Maloche, Massel, mauscheln, meschugge, Mischpoke, Pleitegeier, Ramsch, Reibach, Schickse, Schlamassel, einschleimen, Schmiere stehen, Schmonzette, Schnorrer, Stuss, Tacheles reden, Techtelmechtel, Tinnef, Zoff) - but that word doesn't exist in German - we have a very similar sounding word, which is "verklemmt" - which means "uptight", "inhibited",....

Hast Du Deutsch gelernt oder hast Du den Google-Übersetzer genommen, Gangwon?

Nicht Google. I used to attend some German language classes at my school in Canada back in university (just for fun, I wasn't enrolled in the classes). But I forgot everything. I think I could make write something quite decent with a German dictionary though. *g* :P

Hast Du Deutsch gelernt oder hast Du den Google-Übersetzer genommen, Gangwon?

Should we speak German-like? Something like this:

Gooden Lachen zu allen the biddist citien for ze 2018 Vinter Olympisk bid race. ;)

But seriously, good luck to all the bidding cities.

Either way, some Olympic history will be made shortly.

If it is Annecy, it will be the third time the Olympics will be in the French Alps and I believe it puts France behind the United States in number of Olympics hosted my one country (Paris twice, Chamonix, Grenoble, Albertville, Annecy) 6 to (Los Angeles twice, Lake Placid twice, Squaw Valley, Salt Lake City and Atlanta) 7.

If it is PyongChang, it would be the first Asian country other than Japan to host a OWG and only the second time the Games have been in Korea period.

If it is Munich, the history stacks like cordwood: first OWG in Germany since 1936. First Olympics in a unified Germany since 1936 (Berlin). First city in Olympic history to host both a OWG and a SOG.

Like I said, a lot of history to be made no matter which way the axe falls. Good luck to all the cities.

Per tradition and translator, let me try this:

Bonne chance, Annecy.

행운을 빌어요, PyongChang.

Viel Glück, Munich.

Archived