2011 Women's World Cup

The Nigerian anthem was just played - now the Marseillaise

It seems that there are more French supporters in stadium than from Nigeria - Sinsheim is just 82.3 km away from the german/french border

The referees are from the USA

@ memorabilia - what stands on that pink square on the shoulder of the french players? Are you able to read that?

What stood on that white banner from the French fans (something with "filles") before the anthems?

The fans had a banner saying "The Girls are here" !

For this second participation to the World Cup, France after the great success in UEFA league this year with Lyon, has an objective to reach the semis and to be qualified for London 2012

The pink patch is the FIFA's motto for this world Cup "live your goals" : http://fr.fifa.com/womensworldcup/liveyourgoals/index.html

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhhh, thanks very much for the translation

I wasn't aware of the motto - it seems there is a kind of french "vuvuzela" in stadium - but they are playing a melody not just a nerv-wrecking sound...

Is the music from the Bretagne - I saw a lot of Bretonian Flags in the stadium

The Nigerian team is already looking tired...

Great Look of the Games in the stadium.

2 mistakes in a row from the referees... one missed hand and one missed corner ... :angry:

In Brittany the former music instrument is a bagpipe, but here it sounds more like a trumpet (and play with melodies from the South West of France)

Wow... I'm into it...

I am thinking to try to attend the semi in Frankfurt (unfortunately no more tix for the Final) ! By the way, it's a shame that only one match will be held in Berlin !

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Nigeria 0 - France 1 :D

In Brittany the former music instrument is a bagpipe, but here it sounds more like a trumpet (and play with melodies from the South West of France)

yeah, I think its a trumpet - I wonder if its one player or more...

I felt asleep on the sofa - the match is fantastic entertaing, but I had a short night...

how was the goal, m.?

Impulsive purchase.... i booked an flight with my frequent flyers miles and purchase one ticket for the semi on the 13th in Frankfurt....

No idea, of which team i am able luckily to see... but that's it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

For this second participation to the World Cup, France after the great success in UEFA league this year with Lyon, has an objective to reach the semis and to be qualified for London 2012

Well, Europe has three spots at the Olympics next year. One is for the British team and the others are for France, Germany, Sweden or Norway. I think France will lose to Canada and Germany and wont qualify for the Olympics.

I missed the Ceremony... Eurosport France is not showing it !!!!

There was a huge ballon in the middle circle of the field first, which showed the earth with its continents - several groups of women in white shirts and trousers formed symbols on the field - on the track were groups from different Berlin schools, who symboled the different fan groups (with flags, colours) of the participating teams - then there was a woman, who kicked a ball from the Marathon Gate into the stadium - the earth ballon changed into a mirror (you could see the inside of the stadium) - then the mirror balloon opened on the top and little football ballons came out and went into the sky - then the "white groups" had the flags of the participating countries and went out - and the teams of Canada and Germany came into the stadium

ohhhhhh my god - that match is really entertaining - I think the matches between France - Canada, France - Germany become very exciting...

Nigerian seemed to not have a good physic condition !

yeah - I had that impression right after 10 minutes after the match had started...

The french team looked very fresh the whole time and the Nigerian looked like they were astonished that a match lasts more than 10 minutes...

Impulsive purchase.... i booked an flight with my frequent flyers miles and purchase one ticket for the semi on the 13th in Frankfurt....

No idea, of which team i am able luckily to see... but that's it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow - that is great - just one day before the french national holiday! Imagine a match with the french team - that would be nice...

wow - that is great - just one day before the french national holiday! Imagine a match with the french team - that would be nice...

Unfortunately, it will be hard for to see the French team in Frankfurt, as it will be the the semi of the quaters' winner 1A/2B vs 1C/2D ! So, only if we finish first of our group A .....

But is there a fan fest in Frankfurt where i could watch the other semi ?

Let's wait and see how the other teams (especially Brazil) perform before we write Germany's role as a favourite off. And Italy and Spain in the last two Men's World Cups didn't look very much like the future World Champions either after their first matches in the tournament.

But it's true that Germany (or any other team) won't get the title served up on a silver platter. I think that the differences in the performances of the national teams in women's football have become much smaller than in 2007, at least judging by the results of today's matches. Those were very close matches actually, while Germany was still able to beat Canada 4-1 in its opening match in the 2003 World Cup and to even smash Argentina 11-0 (!) in its opener four years ago. Women's football becomes more and more similar to men's football, also regarding the tactical and ambitious approach the teams take towards big tournaments like the World Cup nowadays.

Anyway, this was a good day for women's football, with great atmospheres in both stadia -- but so far, this great atmosphere seems to be limited to the stadia only. I hope that this will change in the course of the tournament, especially with a German team staying in the tournament. Anyway, it was a deserved reward for the ladies that tonight they were able to play in front of the biggest audience (73,680 spectators!) in European women's football history. And that match in the magnificent Olympic Stadium of Berlin made me really wonder why not more matches of this tournament will be staged there. It's a shame, actually. They would fill the stadium at least for the German matches for certain.

By the way: I found it remarkable that Sepp Blatter didn't make a big appearance in the opening ceremony or the opening match, besides sitting in his VIP seat. I guess that was not a coincidence and he wanted to avoid the foreseeable unrest of the people in the stadium. Such a pile of ****. I hope that he'll stay away from Germany as much as possible during this World Cup. Bad enough that he allegedly asked for a seat lined up with the halfway line for the final on July 17 in Frankfurt. They should rather put him in a cell then letting him sit in a VIP seat.

disappointed with the opening, was expecting something good following the spectacular show in China last time

Yes, I also thought this was a big letdown. Someone on Twitter compared it to a school celebration (especially since those Berlin pupils formed the "fan groups" in the ceremony). And while those balloons climbing out of a stadium in masses always look good, the whole segment with the release of the balloons was so much Italia '90:

Archived