2011 Women's World Cup

The Women's World Cup will start on June 26 when Nigeria plays France in Sinsheim, followed by Germany vs. Canada in Berlin.

Germany and Brazil are the favourites, followed by USA, Sweden, England and Canada.

Anyone interested?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Australia in it? I honestly have no idea!

Totally meant to post the groups but didn't.

Group A

Germany

Nigeria

France

Canada

Key match will be Canada vs. France on June 30

Group B

Japan

New Zealand

Mexico

England

The easiest group by far

Group C

USA

Korea DPR

Colombia

Sweden

Key match will be Sweden vs. Korea DPR, but since the US recently lost the CONCACAF championships to Canada (don't understand how the US is number 1 in the world) they could be defeated by either team

Group D

Brazil

Australia

Norway

Equatorial Guinea

Key match is Norway vs. Australia

My prediction is:

Group A: Germany, Canada

Group B: Japan, England

Group C: USA, Sweden

Group D: Brazil, Norway

Quarterfinals

Germany defeats England, again :P

Canada defeats Japan

USA defeats Norway

Brazil defeats Sweden

Semi-finals

Germany defeats USA

Brazil defeats Canada

Finals

USA defeats Canada

Brazil defeats Germany

I am very excited about this World Cup, although I have no tickets. The highlight will be the Opening match between Germany and Canada when 69999 spectators are booing Blatter.

I think the current German team is superior to all past German teams, but still Brazil and USA are hard to beat. These three teams will decide, which team will win the trophy. The others are have no chance.

Anyone interested?

If any of it's on TV I'll watch it, but I don't think it is.

EDIT: Just Googled it and England matches will be streamed on the BBC website and on the Red Button, and the final will be on BBC Three. So I probably will watch some of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/05_may/20/england.shtml

I am very excited about this World Cup, although I have no tickets. The highlight will be the Opening match between Germany and Canada when 69999 spectators are booing Blatter.

Do us proud Deutschland, and do post a YouTube clip for us Goethe if you can get one!

Read this today, very bizarre:

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2011/06/19/special-vip-enclosure-at-frankfurt-stadium-for-blatter-denied/#

I think the current German team is superior to all past German teams, but still Brazil and USA are hard to beat. These three teams will decide, which team will win the trophy. The others are have no chance.

The USA got convincingly outplayed by Mexico last year at the Gold Cup, and Canada outplayed Mexico twice in the same tournament, once by a very wide margin. The US is not in the same group as Germany and Brazil. I would be very surprised if they finished better then 3rd and I definately think Japan, Canada, Norway and Sweden could take a run at them for a medal position.

We have Marta, our female version of Pele. I think she will shine again.

Can someone post pictures of the stadiums that will host the tournament?

Impuls_arena_06-2009.JPG - Impuls Arena, Augsburg

Berlin_Olympiastadion_nach_Umbau.jpg - Olympic Stadium, Berlin

Rewirpowerstadion_Ruhrstadion_Bochum_sp1010714.jpg Ruhrstadion, Bochum

Germany_vs_Canada_in_Dresden_%28pic23%29.JPG Glücksgas Stadium, Dresden

Coba-arena-ffm004.jpg Commerzbank-Arena - Franfurt

GERRSAwiki1.jpg BayArena - Leverkusen

Borussia_Park_M%C3%B6nchengladbach.jpg Borussia-Park - Mönchengladbach

Rhein_Neckar_Arena_Sinsheim.jpg Rhein-Neckar-Arena - Sinsheim

Wolfsburg_stadion.jpg - Volkswagen-Arena - Wolfsburg

For me any team can win, but not Brazil. Their behavior at the semifinal against the US in 2007 was disgusting. Brazil has skillful players, but they must play as a team, if they want to succeed.

The Women's World Cup will start on June 26 when Nigeria plays France in Sinsheim, followed by Germany vs. Canada in Berlin.

Germany and Brazil are the favourites, followed by USA, Sweden, England and Canada.

Anyone interested?

I'll be watching. I think the USA has as good a shot as anyone, although it's a little hard to gauge since they haven't played Germany or Brazil lately. Brazil usually seems to be undone by mediocre goalkeeping. I think there's much more parity in the women's game now, so there could be a surprise or two advancing out of pool play. It should be a good tournament, though. Hopefully, they'll have some good crowds.

Only Berlin and Frankfurt were in the mens world cup. They gave opportunity to other cities. I hope the CBF do the same for the cities of Copa America 2015.

Is the 1936 cauldron still there?

Also, no China in this tournament? They've always been a powerhouse.

They failed to qualify, Australia, Japan and Korea DPR qualified, even though China hosted the qualifying tournament. They should be back in 2015 when the field expands. Anyways giving Asia 3 spots and Oceania 1 is not right, should have beem 3.5 and 0.5.

Should be a great tournament. As has been mentioned, there's much more parity in the women's game than there was back 1999 when the World Cup really took off. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with Germany. They have plenty of talent across the board and they've got home field advantage. Among the group matches, keep an eye on the U.SA vs. Korea DPR. The Koreans are a scrappy bunch and will be up for the Americans. I fully e[pect the U.S. to win that game but don't be surprised to see a mild upset.

Great stadiums. I do think it's a shame though that Olympiastadion in Berlin doesn't get to host the final.

Is the 1936 cauldron still there?

Yes, it is.

9197035.8015bb38.560.jpg

They even lit it when the Athens torch relay came to the city in 2004.

Great stadiums. I do think it's a shame though that Olympiastadion in Berlin doesn't get to host the final.

That's true. I'm certain that they would fill the Olympiastadion for a Women's World Cup final, even more so with Germany participating (as far as I know, already the opening match Germany - Canada in the Olympiastadion is sold out).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the tournament, although I have to admit that the anticipation is not the same as for a men's World Cup. You don't see any cars with window flags here either, this time around. Women's football has gained some respect in Germany, but it still doesn't create enthusiasm. But I also think that this would slightly change when Germany reaches the final.

How so, New Zealand is the only nation that can be expected to qualify and they at the last cup didn't even score a goal and allowed something like 10 goals.

New Zealand is ranked 24th in the world, Nigeria 28 and the next highest African country is 49, the next highest Oceanic country is 53. The confederations seem equally crappy.

New Zealand is ranked 24th in the world, Nigeria 28 and the next highest African country is 49, the next highest Oceanic country is 53. The confederations seem equally crappy.

But Nigeria, Ghana, and Equatorial Guinea should have an advantage of New Zealand.

The Nigerian anthem was just played - now the Marseillaise

It seems that there are more French supporters in stadium than from Nigeria - Sinsheim is just 82.3 km away from the german/french border

The referees are from the USA

@ memorabilia - what stands on that pink square on the shoulder of the french players? Are you able to read that?

What stood on that white banner from the French fans (something with "filles") before the anthems?

... the first 4 minutes are quite entertaining - very fresh playing style from the French team - the Nigerians play quite "rustical" (and with the help of backpacks ;) )

Archived