Olympics Legacy.

nature

The 1972 Olympic legacy will be extended from 40 to 80 years. 1972 Olympic Stadium which would be refurbished to host the opening and closing ceremonies for both the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in front of 70,000 passionate winter sports fans. The Olympic Swimming Pool which was transformed into its proposed 2018 status as the curling venue. Other 1972 venues for use in 2018 include the Olympic Hall (for short track and figure skating) and the Event Arena (for ice hockey). It will be 82 years since the Germany 1936 Games at Garmisch-Partenkirchen were held if this edition goes back to Germany.

Athletes and politicians visit to Munich 1972 yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsN8boc8HLw

07+1972-munich-olympic.jpg

img3_52353.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the winter atmosphere that will be in Munich, is it snowy in the big city in Winter?

I found Vancouver lacked atmosphere to a degree because of the damp city, they also seemed not to have the funding to really dress up the city due to the economy.

I don't understand the winter atmosphere that will be in Munich, is it snowy in the big city in Winter?

I found Vancouver lacked atmosphere to a degree because of the damp city, they also seemed not to have the funding to really dress up the city due to the economy.

just go to google pictures and search for "München Winter"

search results on Google Pictures:

München Winter

München Olympiapark Winter

Garmisch-Partenkirchen Winter

Königssee Schönau Winter

The problem with Munich it's this city isn't in mountains or near mountains... You don't have authentic atmosphere and never Munich will consider like Alpine city... I think this lack of mountains atmosphere is a handicap when you bid to have WoG in Alps.

But Turin had the same problem :mellow:

The problem with Munich it's this city isn't in mountains or near mountains... You don't have authentic atmosphere and never Munich will consider like ... I think this lack of mountains atmosphere is a handicap when you bid to have WoG in Alps.

But Turin had the same problem :mellow:

Maybe Munich is Alpine city. :rolleyes:

Alpine Skiing World Cup in Munich.

alpine%20ski.jpg

MUNICH, Germany (Dec. 31) – Over 10,000 people are expected to be on hand Sunday night as Olympic medalists Bode Miller (Franconia, NH), Lindsey Vonn (Vail, CO), Ted Ligety (Park City, UT) and Julia Mancuso (Squaw Valley, CA) go head-to-head with the top racers on the Audi FIS Alpine World Cup tour during a unique parallel slalom at Munich Olympic Park.

The top 15 men and women in the overall World Cup starting list points earned the invitation to battle for World Cup points and over $100,000 in prize money. Universal Sports will stream the event live on www.UniversalSports.com at 10:35 a.m. ET and air it live on its 24-hour TV network beginning at 7 p.m. ET.

"I'm definitely looking forward to it and am really excited about the event," said Vonn, a three-time World Cup overall champion. "With it being right in the city, there's going to be a huge crowd of people that maybe wouldn't have a chance to see the excitement of ski racing live – it's going to be great for our sport."

"I’m pretty excited about a duel," added Mancuso. "I don’t know what it’s going to be like, but I think it will be a good show and exciting and fun to watch."

Perched at the southern edge of 1972 Olympic Summer Games venue, a hill was constructed in 1945 using remaining debris from the Second World War bombings. That hill, measuring 200 meters long has become the 20-gate race venue with the finish spilling into the upper section of the drained Olympic Lake.

"Over 10,000 tickets, along with more than 1,500 VIP tickets, have already been sold for the premiere City Event in Munich. The slope is excellent condition following the pre-Christmas thaw and has been injected during this week's cold period," said Günter Hujara, FIS Chief Race Director for the men's Alpine World Cup.

The first parallel slaloms at Olympic Park were held in 1986 and 1987, when over 50,000 people watched races with stars such as German Olympic downhill gold medalist Marina Kiehl, six-time World Champion Erika Hess of Switzerland and Tamara McKinney, the last American woman to win an overall World Cup title before Vonn. Yet, on those occasions there was only one competition which featured female skiers and no World Cup points were awarded.

Sunday will be a first for the women's tour. With World Cup points on the line, women's racers are understandably nervous.

"It's tough because I've never raced a parallel event before," said Vonn, who trails German favorite Maria Riesch in overall points. "This could theoretically change the outcome of the overall title."

The last time a parallel was held in Vienna, but was scored only for Nations Cup points.

Miller and Ligety are experienced with the head-to-head format having raced the past two seasons in the exhibition events held in Moscow.

"The scene was awesome," said Ligety, after finishing third in the Moscow event last season just ahead of Miller. "People were packed all around the base of the ramp. They had Euro techno blasting and fireworks shooting out the side of the ramp scaffolding after the competition. It was such a sweet event to be invited to."

Munich will be the first time Ligety has returned to racing since Dec. 19, when he captured his third consecutive World Cup giant slalom win of the season, completing a sweep in that event over the first half of the winter.

The natural slope of the Olympic hill will certainly not have the same feel as industrial scaffold high above the street as it was in Moscow, but it will certainly provide a high energy venue for athletes and fans as live DJ's and bands mix with ski racing.

Never Munich will be Alpine city because there aren't mountains (Alps) near Munich... You can organize some event in the heart of city even you don't have mountains. This year London has organized a big air event in snowboard but there aren't mountains in London...

Munich is a great city but they have a lack about this point... You can't consider Munich like a mountains city, But it was the same problem with Turin... I think if WoG should comeback in Alps, the best will be in real mountains city like Annecy with a real authentic atmosphere. ;)

You can't compare winter games with summer games. The german population is not as much interested in winter sports as in "summer sports" or football. Only 9% Germans like skiinig - compared with Austria (55%) or Swiss (27%) very poor. Beside that, last IOC poll said, only 56% percent of german population ist interested in the winter games - compared to S-Korea (87%) oder France (meanwile 91% ) very poor. Even a poll in Canada 2010 showed 91% supporters for the games. So I don't think olympic winter games will fill a big stadium like the Olympic Stadium in Munich. For example the Pre-olympic-games celebration "the wintergames, the stars and you" in the Allianz-Stadium one week ago was visited by only 20.000 people despite huge promotion. It was less than a third of the capacity of the Allianz stadium in Munich (75.0000 people).

OMG, Nolympia your posts are just funny - every single post here is plain nonsense...

I wonder if we really live in the same country - the Winter Olympics of Munich would become a huge success for the people and for the athletes! But on the other hand I'm not surprises of your negative approach toward Olympic Games after I read the official website of NOlympia to learn about your 'background' - I can only recommend every GB member to visit the official NOlympia website - it is just hilarous (especially our Canadian members - they should "learn" how terrible bad the Winter Olympics were for Vancouver)...

I see Inzell talked about on that site as a "modern" venue that's unused. This is not a World Championships here, Munich's bid was clearly based on the idea of Ice sports in Munich snow sports in the mountains. The only isolated venue is the sliding centre. Having Inzell host speed skating would make the construction of a temporary speed skating oval unnecessary, but would have also provided another isolated venue. The whole concept of a Munich bid lies on the whole compact concept, if it doesn't work, then perhaps try the spread out concept in the next bid.

@Lord David: I completely agree with you - The Munich compact concept is a lie just like the whole published concept of olympic games in Germany!

For example the distance between the olympic locations Munich and Schönau (Königsee,) are 160 km.

Even the parcels of land, important f.e. for the halfpipe aren't available yet. See the letter of the landowner's lawyer

Umm? It is compact? The Ice venues in Munich, Snow in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, sliding in Königssee, how more compact do you want?

The only concern comes from Garmisch-Partenkirchen, who claim the events held there will be too much for the small town to be able to handle.

Personally, if I were running the bid, I would have shifted some of the snow venues (primarily those temporary) closer to Königssee, but that would have gotten the environmentalists up in arms, since most of the area is part of the Berchtesgaden National Park.

PyeongChang says, one can reach all locations within 30 Min. From Munich (ice venue) to Schönau (sliding venue) it takes 2 hours by car.

No,

Pyeongchang ice venue <1 more hours> Freestyle, Snowboad venue.

Pyeongchang ice venue <1 more hours> Downhll venue.

PyeongChang says, one can reach all locations within 30 Min. From Munich (ice venue) to Schönau (sliding venue) it takes 2 hours by car.

For just 3 sports. After all, why build a new track when there's an existing one? This is the closest they got.

@nature 1 hour? I read 30 minutes.

My Information are from

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympic_bids/pyeongchang_2018/1216135089.html

"A coastal cluster in Gangneung would host the ice event and have its own Olympic and media village. Some ski event would be held at nearby stand-alone venues but all would be within 30-minutes and would be linked by upgraded roads and rail lines."

@nature 1 hour? I read 30 minutes.

My Information are from

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympic_bids/pyeongchang_2018/1216135089.html

"A coastal cluster in Gangneung would host the ice event and have its own Olympic and media village. Some ski event would be held at nearby stand-alone venues but all would be within 30-minutes and would be linked by upgraded roads and rail lines."

Gangneung <30 minutes> Pyeongchang

Pyeongchang <30~35 minutes> Downhill, Freetyle, Snowboad.

When using rail 50 minutes after the railway construction. Gangneung to Downhill, Freetyle, Snowboad.

Gangneung <1 hours> Downhill, Freetyle, Snowboad.

Archived