I have an idea

Japan, has played in the top division of women's hockey. Italy is ranked 17. Korea plays a full two divisions below Italy. That is a huge discrepancy. I don't mind the stadium, but when cities propose stadiums like this (like Annecy nice but real small stage) it makes the winter games really small. Look at Vancouver's opening ceremony it made the WOG look like a big event.

Annecy stadium is 42 000 people but it's a open stadium and people could see the show all around the lake. Each year Annecy organize a lake festival with a stadium like WoG, and there are more than 150 000 people all around the lake, it will be the most important ceremonie since the begening of WoG and SoG

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, same as handball. Great Britain has a real problem at teams sports, hasn't it? :rolleyes:

Well, they have it together for football, rowing, etc. It's just all a matter of sporting culture.

If I'm not mistaken, Spain had to put together a women's nat'l volleyball and rhythmic gymnastics teams for 1992. If it weren't for 1992, then Spain wouldn't be in the top 4 women's rhythmic gymnastics teams in the world today.

and there are more than 150 000 people all around the lake,

Mon dieu, c'est une disastre environmentale!! It must be the MOST POLLUTED lake in Europe. Where does all the waste and mierde of 150,000 people go to? Yecccccchhhhhhhhh!! <_<

That's why PC is limiting its Opening Ceremony stadium to only 40,000 -- so there wouldn't be as MUCH human waste as that generated in the shores of Lake Annency. Mon dieu, Annency must smell awful then!!

Don't come near my house, Tulsa!!

It's about maybe 30 minutes away from Pyeongchang? It's in Seoraksan National Park.

Not Pyeongchang, Sokcho-city.

OK, thanks ;) It's just that the symbol on the roof of the building caught my attention...

If I'm not mistaken, Spain had to put together a women's nat'l volleyball and rhythmic gymnastics teams for 1992. If it weren't for 1992, then Spain wouldn't be in the top 4 women's rhythmic gymnastics teams in the world today.

I don't know about volleyball, but if our rhythmic gymnastics team was created for Barcelona 1992, it's surprising they won gold at Atlanta 1996! Sadly, I think Spain is not in the top 4 today, I'd put them from 8th to 12th.

Well, some "weak" teams are better others :lol:

I don't remember seeing any match of Great Britain's handball teams, they always end up far from qualifying for the major tournaments... The same could be said about their basketball teams some years ago, but now that (men's) European championships will be played by more teams, Great Britain can qualify with no problems. The women's team is also qualified for the European championship that starts tomorrow, but I don't expect them to go further than the first round.

PS: I know very little about ice hockey, but I'd love to see a Spain-South Korea match. I guess we can beat them!! :P

Spain played South Korea at the universiade and won my the slimiest of margins (men's hockey). Gangwon, if Slovakia can get beat 18-0 by Canada, and Slovakia can beat Bulgaria 82-0 just imagine what Canada could do to Korea who are ranked five spots behind Bulgaria in the rankings. If anything Korea's women's team shouldn't be allowed to compete (sort of like Greece's field hockey teams in 2004).

Baron, I don't know quite know how to explain it, but I am not a fan of ceremonies not taking place in an actual stadium. (However I have never experienced one live [as in watching on television] maybe the 2012 WYOG will change my views.

I don't know about volleyball, but if our rhythmic gymnastics team was created for Barcelona 1992, it's surprising they won gold at Atlanta 1996! Sadly, I think Spain is not in the top 4 today, I'd put them from 8th to 12th.

I know it was. At first Spain sent the gals to (I believe it was) Bulgaria to train; and then when there was a modern facility available for them in Madrid or Toledo, you imported the Bulgarian coaches too.

Gangwon, if Slovakia can get beat 18-0 by Canada, and Slovakia can beat Bulgaria 82-0 just imagine what Canada could do to Korea who are ranked five spots behind Bulgaria in the rankings. If anything Korea's women's team shouldn't be allowed to compete (sort of like Greece's field hockey teams in 2004).

Does it really matter?

It doesn't mean what you think lol. It's a symbol of eternity. B)

That's why I asked :P But yes, I thought it had to be one of those ancient Korean symbols.

Also, to be what I thought it needs to be inverted. It's just that after all the talk about how the Garmisch 1936 Games were, I see strange symbols anywhere :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's why I asked :P But yes, I thought it had to be one of those ancient Korean symbols.

Also, to be what I thought it needs to be inverted. It's just that after all the talk about how the Garmisch 1936 Games were, I see strange symbols anywhere :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is an ancient Indro-Dravidian symbol. Those Nutzis (nature's team) reversed the spokes.

Of course it does, after Rogge threatened that the sport might be dropped from the program.

However, I do hope Pyeonchang does win its bid so hockey can be promoted in Asia.

After Nagano, promoted results in Korea.

Canada 31-0 Korea ? :D

Of course it does, after Rogge threatened that the sport might be dropped from the program.

However, I do hope Pyeonchang does win its bid so hockey can be promoted in Asia.

He threatened to drop womens hockey because Canada and the US were heads and shoulders above everyone else. Going to Korea or going to Germany doesn't change that. Canada will blow out the bottom-feeder team whoever it is. I see your point though, that a 30-0 blowout looks more embarrassing than 20-0. I still think the whole issue is peanuts.

Don't believe everything Rogge says. He is getting early dementia. Drop women's hockey after the women ski jumpers fought so hard to get into the WOGs -- first denied in Vancouver but now to be included in Sochi?

Next thing you know he'll say to remove gay men from Figure Skating!! That would leave like 3 skaters!! :lol:

U have to learn to look at the bigger picture, Int.

That's right. My country will destroy the living sh*t out of your country.

You are one PROUD Korean.

Well, stop lie, Nagano in ASIA. :D

The Olympics have nothing to do with the development, it requires continued investment and interest.

Now, Korea doesn't have international standards rink.

Spain played South Korea at the universiade and won my the slimiest of margins (men's hockey). Gangwon, if Slovakia can get beat 18-0 by Canada, and Slovakia can beat Bulgaria 82-0 just imagine what Canada could do to Korea who are ranked five spots behind Bulgaria in the rankings. If anything Korea's women's team shouldn't be allowed to compete (sort of like Greece's field hockey teams in 2004).

Good, Spain rocks, man!! :lol:

Poor Korea, is there time enough to score 82 goals??? But anyway, if PyeongChang hosted I think it would be unfair not to let them compete as hosts. I didn't remember about Greece's field hockey teams, but poor Greek players, it must be very frustrating to see everyone from your country (but you) automatically qualifying for your Olympics...

I know it was. At first Spain sent the gals to (I believe it was) Bulgaria to train; and then when there was a modern facility available for them in Madrid or Toledo, you imported the Bulgarian coaches too.

I didn't know about this, but then their progress was pretty fast - from nothing to an Olympic gold in less than a decade... Bulgarian coaches are still here, I think.

It is an ancient Indro-Dravidian symbol. Those Nutzis (nature's team) reversed the spokes.

Those Nutzis... :rolleyes:

He threatened to drop womens hockey because Canada and the US were heads and shoulders above everyone else. Going to Korea or going to Germany doesn't change that. Canada will blow out the bottom-feeder team whoever it is. I see your point though, that a 30-0 blowout looks more embarrassing than 20-0. I still think the whole issue is peanuts.

They have changed the format for 2014. The top 4 teams ie. (Canada , USA, Finland, Sweden) will be in group A the rest (Russia, Switzerland + 2 qualifiers ) will be in group B

Qfs are 3a Vs 2B and 4A vs 1B

sfs have 1A vs winner of qf and 2Ab vs winner of qf

Archived