I have an idea

But to comeback on the tread, Korea is strong only in Short track... With artistic skating, is the only sport where you can win medals because you don't have egnouh infrastructures in other sport, like Biathlon, Alpin ski, Freestyle ski, Cross country ski, Ski jumping, Hockey...

Korea isn't very strong in WoG

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But to comeback on the tread, Korea is strong only in Short track... With artistic skating, is the only sport where you can win medals because you don't have egnouh infrastructures in other sport, like Biathlon, Alpin ski, Freestyle ski, Cross country ski, Ski jumping, Hockey...

Korea isn't very strong in WoG

Maybe because you keep hogging all the Winter Olympics. The rest of the world wants to play too.

Stop lies. PC 2018 bid not for sport.

1988 Seoul Olympic Stadium is not an Olympics legacy. 10 more million dollars deficit every year. It's demolition will be discussed. Because it's getting old, nobody use now. Last year, The Seoul government was reviewed the construction of shopping centers after demolition of the 1988 Olympics main stadium.

Korea doesn't have international standards rink. The Ski jumping park was built in 1997 is abandoned. Now you can't use anymore. In Korea, 15 years ago compared to now, there is no difference at all about skiing. Ice rink for athletes should certainly take precedence over the Olympics host. And the stadium managed.

For Alpensia: Since 2005, Alpensia was constructed excessively from the beginning. Only the cost 1.5 billion dollars has been put into building this resort. They had no money. It had been to cover the cost of construction through selling luxury houses. But are unsold. This is a joint creation of the politicians and builders. This resort is not for the public. Debt of 800 million dollar still remains. Yesterday, today, tomorrow has been raised the loss of $140,000 everday.

Stop lies. PC 2018 bid not for sport.

1988 Seoul Olympic Stadium is not an Olympics legacy. 10 more million dollars deficit every year. It's demolition will be discussed. Because it's getting old, nobody use now. Last year, The Seoul government was reviewed the construction of shopping centers after demolition of the 1988 Olympics main stadium.

What do you mean stop lies? Look at you with the Seoul Olympic Stadium. Do you remember when you said the Seoul Olympic Stadium was in ruins, and you showed a photo with one chipped fibreglass seat as proof?

Seoul Olympic Stadium in ruins

To you, demolition probably means TWO chipped fibreglass seats.

What do you mean stop lies? Look at you with the Seoul Olympic Stadium. Do you remember when you said the Seoul Olympic Stadium was in ruins, and you showed a photo with one chipped fibreglass seat as proof?

Seoul Olympic Stadium in ruins

To you, demolition probably means TWO chipped fibreglass seats.

Wast's problem ?

Seoul Olympic Stadium was in ruins is true.

Fact : 1988 Seoul Olympic Stadium is not an Olympics legacy. 10 more million dollars deficit every year. It's demolition will be discussed. Because it's getting old, nobody use now. Last year, The Seoul government was reviewed the construction of shopping centers after demolition of the 1988 Olympics stadium.

http://biz.heraldm.com/common/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110304000552

Wast's problem ?

What's problem ?

Maybe because you keep hogging all the Winter Olympics. The rest of the world wants to play too.

Maybe because Korea can't develop Winter sport...

You don't have Alpin Slope because you don't have mountains to host this kind of sport and never you could be strong in Alpin Ski

I t's the same about Freestyle ski and some other winter sport...

@Gangwon: I appreciate your endurance with nature an Tusla. And for me you sound quite fair. We dont support the same bid so we dont agree on many points as Munich strengths are PC problems and vice versa.

I think Torino is different from Munich because you dont have to travel through the Alps to get to the venues.If you want to visit the Games in Munich you take the motorway to Garmisch and then you have arrived. To get to Köngissee to have to take the motorway to Salzburg and 30 minutes on a national road. But there are no narrow winding roads like in Italy.

Pyeonchang's bid is strong. However I have two concerns.

a) The main stadium is the ski jump? No offence but how much can you really do in that space. Build a 50,000 seat stadium for the local area then downgrade it.

B) Korea's hockey teams. Imagine Canada vs South Korea in women's hockey. The score will be like 31-0. I doubt the IOC or the IIHF (whose leader is a member of the IOC) will want to see that.

***Not saying this should cost the city its bid***

Goethe, I'd like to hear your answer for this.

If Korea really wanted to develop winter sport, 1.5 billion dollars should have been used for young players and practice rink rather than luxury houses and golf course for Alpensia resort. The park was built in 1997 is abandoned. Now you can't use anymore. Winter Olympics held in this country that is an insult to the winter sports.

For the Popular Winter Sports. When Pyeongchang was held in 2009 Biathlon and Snowboard WC, There was no admission fee for Korean. Nevertheless, the spectators almost did not come. Everyone agrees. According to unnamed sources, Some IOC members are concerned about it, Pyeongchang is not for atheltes.

For the Downhill, Downhill venue is the primeval forest. There are many rare plants and trees are living. Under current law, development is illegal. This is not the Olympic spirit.

For Alpensia resort, have debt 800 million dollars, have just 6 short slopes. So, Asia's winter hub is impossible. Also, It is not for public, have 100 more luxury houses and golf course for VIP.A few days ago, the audit results by the government auditors; Alpensia resort constructed without considering the feasibility, Excessive construction despite the expected loss from investment, $140,000 loss of interest everyday. I can imagine the situation enough after the Olympics.

For the Financial problems, Gangwon province development corporation has liabilities 1.3 billion dollars including Alpensia 800 million due to Alpensia resort construction and the 2018 bid. An Additional government spending must stop for the 2018 Olympics.

For the Olympic Movement, 1988 Seoul Olympic Stadium is not an Olympics legacy. 10 more million dollars deficit every year. It's demolition will be discussed. Because it's getting old, nobody's use. Last year, The Seoul government was reviewed the construction of shopping centers after demolition of the 1988 Olympic stadium. You should not overlook it.

For the Dream Program, In Korea, Snow is absent in some cities (Busan, Ulsan, etc). And, there are many deprived youth. Moreover, Korea's winter sport base is very poor. Nevertheless, Korea youth does not participate in Dream Program. Who is the first between Korea youth and foreign youth? This is just a show for Olympics bid. Not pure. It is a case of putting the cart before the horse.

a) The main stadium is the ski jump? No offence but how much can you really do in that space. Build a 50,000 seat stadium for the local area then downgrade it.

B) Korea's hockey teams. Imagine Canada vs South Korea in women's hockey. The score will be like 31-0.

a) They will have 7 years to regrade that venue and hopefully make it look right.

B) Italy and Japan survived it; I don't see that Korea can't. So they'll get some Canadian-Koreans to make up the team.

Because,

1. Don't have the money, with Alpensia's debt of 800 million dollar.

2. After the Olympics is a pain.

a) They will have 7 years to regrade that venue and hopefully make it look right.

B) Italy and Japan survived it; I don't see that Korea can't. So they'll get some Canadian-Koreans to make up the team.

Japan, has played in the top division of women's hockey. Italy is ranked 17. Korea plays a full two divisions below Italy. That is a huge discrepancy. I don't mind the stadium, but when cities propose stadiums like this (like Annecy nice but real small stage) it makes the winter games really small. Look at Vancouver's opening ceremony it made the WOG look like a big event.

B) Korea's hockey teams. Imagine Canada vs South Korea in women's hockey. The score will be like 31-0. I doubt the IOC or the IIHF (whose leader is a member of the IOC) will want to see that.

That's what every Olympic host has to suffer... No one can be good at everything! The same is likely to happen with Great Britain's handball teams at London 2012 or Brazil's hockey teams at Rio 2016, for example ;)

Annecy ceremonies stadium, the most incredible ceremonie !!!

Watch the Singapore and Guangzhou 2010 Openings, Tulsa. Their setting is just like what Annency proposes. It's BEEN DONE before.

Besides, they are NOT going to chose an Olympic city because of the Opening Ceremony venue. Get real!!

That's what every Olympic host has to suffer... No one can be good at everything! The same is likely to happen with Great Britain's handball teams at London 2012 or Brazil's hockey teams at Rio 2016, for example ;)

I guess your right, but Brazil has experience against top teams for ex. Canada and Argentina. Great Britain has played top European teams I believe in handball. South Korea has yet to face any team ever.

An opening ceremonies for Lillehammer, Pyeongchang or Annecy will be different than one in Torino, Vancouver or Munich. It's pointless to build a huge stadium for a place like Pyeongchang. Using its surroundings is part of Pyeongchang's charm.

And hockey is just one sport among many at the Winter Olympics. In the grand scheme of things, a hockey blowout is the least of the IOC's considerations. Most games for womens hockey are blowouts. Is there any difference between Canada beating Italy 15-0, and Canada beating Korea 20-0?

Japan, has played in the top division of women's hockey. Italy is ranked 17. Korea plays a full two divisions below Italy. That is a huge discrepancy. I don't mind the stadium, but when cities propose stadiums like this (like Annecy nice but real small stage) it makes the winter games really small. Look at Vancouver's opening ceremony it made the WOG look like a big event.

What is your point? Variety is the spice of life. If the IOC picks a small, medium or humongous city to be the host--whether summer, winter or YOG -- then I guess it must be OK. I mean the Summer Games of Amsterdam, Stockholm, Antwerp the Oslo, Cortinas, the Lake Placid's of Winter, were all rather modest compared to Beijing or Sydney. That's just the natural progression of this phenomenon. If what PC offers to the IOC isn't good enough, believe me, they will or would've heard about it from the IOC.

I guess your right, but Brazil has experience against top teams for ex. Canada and Argentina. Great Britain has played top European teams I believe in handball. South Korea has yet to face any team ever.

Well, some "weak" teams are better others :lol:

I don't remember seeing any match of Great Britain's handball teams, they always end up far from qualifying for the major tournaments... The same could be said about their basketball teams some years ago, but now that (men's) European championships will be played by more teams, Great Britain can qualify with no problems. The women's team is also qualified for the European championship that starts tomorrow, but I don't expect them to go further than the first round.

PS: I know very little about ice hockey, but I'd love to see a Spain-South Korea match. I guess we can beat them!! :P

They have to start sometime. Similarly, GB had to build national indoor volleyball teams so they could fill their bye spots for 2012. But I think those teams will not get past the prelims next summer.

That's one of the reasons giving something like the Os to up-and-coming countries like Korea, so it will accelerate new sports in the country. So now, Korea will have the basis of building up their women's hockey program -- something which TWO tunnel-vision posters here (one poor French sap and one pseudo-Korean twit :rolleyes: ) CANNOT seem to understand. :rolleyes:

An opening ceremonies for Lillehammer, Pyeongchang or Annecy will be different than one in Torino, Vancouver or Munich. It's pointless to build a huge stadium for a place like Pyeongchang. Using its surroundings is part of Pyeongchang's charm.

part of Pyeongchang's charm ?

No, Pyeongchang is just the country for population 40,000. They can't build a big stadium. In addition, There is no land in Pyeongchang. The most important thing is no money. Alpensia resort construction has committed 1.5 billion dollar. And yet it remained a debt of 800 million dollar.

No, Pyeongchang is just the country for population 40,000. They can't build a big stadium. In addition, There is no land in Pyeongchang. The most important thing is no money. Alpensia resort construction has committed 1.5 billion dollar. And yet it remained a debt of 800 million dollar.

That's what I said you retard. I said there's no point in building a huge stadium.

Ho-hum. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

They have to start sometime. Similarly, GB had to build national indoor volleyball teams so they could fill their bye spots for 2012. But I think those teams will not get past the prelims next summer.

Yes, same as handball. Great Britain has a real problem at teams sports, hasn't it? :rolleyes:

BTW, Gangwon, the picture in your signature, is it PyeongChang? :huh:

Archived