I have an idea

In the end, none of this matters for crowds. The Winter Olympics could be anywhere in the world, and the crowds will be full. Just because it's the Olympics and not an annual world championships. You could hold the Winter Olympics in the desert and the crowds will be full.

What does it matter if someone is in the crowd to watch a family member, cheer on their country, experience the Olympic atmosphere, learn more about the sport, or because he/she is biathlon's #1 fan? What matters is people are there, having a good time. And besides, it's fun to wave the flag at the Olympics even if you don't care for the sport. Lighten up. The Olympics are fun, not serious.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the end, none of this matters for crowds. The Winter Olympics could be anywhere in the world, and the crowds will be full. Just because it's the Olympics and not an annual world championships. You could hold the Winter Olympics in the desert and the crowds will be full.

No, I totally disagree! Just remember the Nordic Combined event in Torino 2006. Hettich received his gold medal in front of team members, other athletes and officials but not in front of spectators. Torino were really weak Games, although I liked the ceremonies. Thats the problem when Games don´t get awarded to the best bid/city and are mistreated as a consolation prize.

What does it matter if someone is in the crowd to watch a family member, cheer on their country, experience the Olympic atmosphere, learn more about the sport, or because he/she is biathlon's #1 fan? What matters is people are there, having a good time. And besides, it's fun to wave the flag at the Olympics even if you don't care for the sport. Lighten up. The Olympics are fun, not serious.

We just have experienced that in Beijing 2008. The crowd was there, but no real atmosphere.

No, I totally disagree! Just remember the Nordic Combined event in Torino 2006. Hettich received his gold medal in front of team members, other athletes and officials but not in front of spectators. Torino were really weak Games, although I liked the ceremonies. Thats the problem when Games don´t get awarded to the best bid/city and are mistreated as a consolation prize.

We just have experienced that in Beijing 2008. The crowd was there, but no real atmosphere.

Maybe the Europeans were finally fed up and bored of the fact that the WOG keep happening in Europe and stopped going. :P jk

I disagree with your Beijing 2008 comment. There certainly was an atmosphere. I don't know what you mean by 'real' atmosphere. There certainly was no European atmosphere, but that's because it was not held in Europe and Europe was not the center of the stage, nor was Europe the center of the universe. The only thing that lacked in Beijing probably was perhaps some sense of freedom/democracy/human rights (especially with events that led up to the games... such as the torch relay).

Goethe, your comment tells me that those lack of crowds could occur in France or Germany just as easily as it could happen in Torino. Annecy, Munich and Torino are really not that far apart. If the people living nearby didn't go to Torino, how do we know they will go to Annecy or Munich?

I won't speak for Torino, but experiencing the Winter Olympics at home would be a novelty for 50 million Koreans. I know my people, they WILL be at the Games. They know the opportunity doesn't come around every 8 years like in traditionally has in Europe or North America.

As for your Beijing comment, I'm curious, what more did you want them to do? Cheer at the right time? Sing during competitions? You're opening up a new can of worms in saying that it not even enough to fill the arenas and stands. Are you sure you watched the Beijing Games with an open mind? I can tell you with certainty though, that Koreans are a passionate people. Whatever your perceptions of Nagano and Beijing, Pyeongchang will be different.

Goethe, I was just re-reading my last post and realized I might have come across as sounding critical about your Beijing comment. I didn't mean it that way. That's the way you feel about Beijing and I respect that. I do think however, that people express themselves differently, and all we should ask for is that fill the seats and support the Olympics in that regard, and then they should be able to express themselves in whatever way they want.

I don't see anything wrong or critical about your last post to that remark. I think Mikehali raised it in the appropriate way as to what did he really mean by "real" atmosphere. Since those Games weren't held on European soil, his comment could be construed as criticism when the comment itself is vague.

Winter sports and winter sports, and medals are medals.

Well, Medals are not important thing.

Now, Korea does't have international standards rink. The most important things are passion for winter sport and conditions that can be enjoyed by everyone. The Winter Olympics host is not important at all. Korea has been so obsessed with it only. As a result, Alpensia financial crisis has raised.

The Winter sports powerhouses Finland and Sweden have not yet, including Germany. In Korea, Despite the not good conditions, Only politicians are overly obsessed.

Japan get the just 9 gold medals at the Winter Games. But, They have a world-class infrastructure and long tradition. Koreans don't enjoy the winter sport. not good for athletes. You and bid committee say promise full-stadia. But, nobody will trust. It is impossible.

If 2018 host in Pyeongchang, I don't think It related to development of the winter sport. Winter Olympics host = Development is not. It requires continuous attention and investment. The tradition can't made overnight. As mentioned several times, When Pyeongchang was host the 2009 Biathlon and Snowboard WC. Pyeongchang wrote the worst event in the history of skiing. Korea should be discontinued the attempt to hitch a ride. Germany has a passion for winter sport. They have an inner winter sport tradition. I think they've been wanting to 80 years. Moreover 1936 was Nazi Games, I think 2018 must go to Munich.

If 2018 host in Pyeongchang, I don't think It related to development of the winter sport. Winter Olympics host = Development is not. It requires continuous attention and investment. The tradition can't made overnight. As mentioned several times, When Pyeongchang was host the 2009 Biathlon and Snowboard WC. Pyeongchang wrote the worst event in the history of skiing. Korea should be discontinued the attempt to hitch a ride. Germany has a passion for winter sport. They have an inner winter sport tradition. I think they've been wanting to 80 years. Moreover 1936 was Nazi Games, I think 2018 must go to Munich.

IDIOTIC LIES!!

France doesn't care about short track, but that's ok because they don't have to like every sport. But there would still be good crowds at a French Winter Olympics for short track right? Same with Korea. They might not be good in biathlon, and it might not be a favourite sport. But the crowd will be impressive for almost all events in Pyeongchang.

False, France like short track !!! These sport is less popular than Ski but is popular so.

This winter 2 french are become world champion in 500m and 1000m !!! B)

Until to 2010 there were about 3 strong countries (USA, China, Korea) but since some years other countries comeback in the same level. I think it's finish for korea to win 4 or 5 medals in this sports each WoG... And the worldchampionship this winter is an evidence, the leadership of korea on this sport is finish...

False, France like short track !!! These sport is less popular than Ski but is popular so.

This winter 2 french are become world champion in 500m and 1000m !!! B)

Until to 2010 there were about 3 strong countries (USA, China, Korea) but since some years other countries comeback in the same level. I think it's finish for korea to win 4 or 5 medals in this sports each WoG... And the worldchampionship this winter is an evidence, the leadership of korea on this sport is finish...

What are you talking about? France didn't win anything in short track this year.

But good for France, if they're improving in short track. I'm happy for them. It's like Korea, they're improving in all the other winter sports. They compete in almost all the events now at the Winter Olympics. And with the new training facilities in place and the increased interest in winter sports from 10 years of Pyeongchang bidding and the fine performances at the last 2 Winter Olympics, Korea will be a constant player in many of the winter sports from now on. It's just a matter of time. So yes, while Korea may lose their dominance in short track as other nations improve, Korea will make up for it with a stronger presence in the other sports.

Hooray for Korea and hooray for France? Yes?

And 1940 was the Japan's Colony Games, when Korea was still a colony of Japan. Oh wait a second, Korea didn't even get to host it back then either.

As for tradition, yeah it can't be made overnight. But the Winter Olympics can speed up tradition. And you have no proof that they won't fill the seats for the Olympics. The world championships are not the Olympics, buddy. Since you have no basis for claiming Koreans won't fill the crowds at the Winter Olympics, you should save your breath until after they host the Olympics. Until then, give them the benefit of the doubt, because Korea never disappoints on the big stage.

What are you talking about? France didn't win anything in short track this year.

But good for France, if they're improving in short track. I'm happy for them. It's like Korea, they're improving in all the other winter sports. They compete in almost all the events now at the Winter Olympics. And with the new training facilities in place and the increased interest in winter sports from 10 years of Pyeongchang bidding and the fine performances at the last 2 Winter Olympics, Korea will be a constant player in many of the winter sports from now on. It's just a matter of time. So yes, while Korea may lose their dominance in short track as other nations improve, Korea will make up for it with a stronger presence in the other sports.

Hooray for Korea and hooray for France? Yes?

Well, anyone do not trust. Korea doesn't have international standards rink. The Ski jumping park was built in 1997 is abandoned. Now you can't use anymore. In Korea, 15 years ago compared to now, there is no difference at all about skiing.

For example,

1997 Ski Jumping registered players only 4.

2011 Ski Jumping registered players only 4. (Adult standards)

Winter Universiade this year, did not participate in ski jumping. Because, there is no college players.

If Korea really wanted to develop winter sport, 1.5 billion dollars should have been used for young players and practice rink rather than luxury houses and golf course for Alpensia resort. Winter Olympics held in this country that is an insult to the winter sports.

Well, anyone do not trust. Korea doesn't have international standards rink. The Ski jumping park was built in 1997 is abandoned. Now you can't use anymore. In Korea, 15 years ago compared to now, there is no difference at all about skiing.

For example,

Winter Universiade this year, did not participate in ski jumping. Because, there is no college players.

If Korea really wanted to develop winter sport, 1.5 billion dollars should have been used for young players and practice rink rather than luxury houses and golf course for Alpensia resort. Winter Olympics held in this country that is an insult to the winter sports.

There's an even better ski jumping park at Alpensia now. You know? The place with the golf course and luxury houses? Yeah, that place also trains winter athletes too. :blink: So who cares about the 1997 ski jump near Muju. That's old news.

And what's so special about 1997? Why do you keep comparing 2011 to 1997? The Winter Universiade? Pssh. Get real. That's not going to inspire anyone. Just wait and see what the Olympics will do to spark interest. They will make you eat your words 10 years from now.

There's an even better ski jumping park at Alpensia now. You know? The place with the golf course and luxury houses? Yeah, that place also trains winter athletes too. :blink: So who cares about the 1997 ski jump near Muju. That's old news.

And what's so special about 1997? Why do you keep comparing 2011 to 1997? The Winter Universiade? Pssh. Get real. That's not going to inspire anyone. Just wait and see what the Olympics will do to spark interest. They will make you eat your words 10 years from now.

It is tells us that not interested in skiing in Korea.

For Alpensia: Since 2005, Alpensia was constructed excessively from the beginning. Only the cost 1.5 billion dollars has been put into building this resort. They had no money. It had been to cover the cost of construction through selling luxury houses. But are unsold. This is a joint creation of the politicians and builders. This resort is not for the public. Debt of 800 million dollar still remains. Yesterday, today, tomorrow has been raised the loss of $140,000 everday.

Oh wow. I just realized Korea does pretty damn amazing at the Winter Universiades. They send more athletes and they do REALLY WELL.

Korea at the 2011 Winter Universiade

Korea at the 2009 Winter Universiade

Korea at the 2007 Winter Universiade

Korea at the 2005 Winter Universiade

Impressive, huh? All of that with a neglected ski jump. Niiiiiiiice. Maybe you shouldn't bring use the Winter Universiades as an example of Korean winter sports mediocrity anymore?

Oh wow. I just realized Korea does pretty damn amazing at the Winter Universiades. They send more athletes and they do REALLY WELL.

Korea at the 2011 Winter Universiade

Korea at the 2009 Winter Universiade

Korea at the 2007 Winter Universiade

Korea at the 2005 Winter Universiade

Impressive, huh? All of that with a neglected ski jump. Niiiiiiiice. Maybe you shouldn't bring use the Winter Universiades as an example of Korean winter sports mediocrity anymore?

Well, Almost with short track.

Well, Almost with short track.

And, They have been trained in Europe.

The Ski jumping park was built in 1997 is abandoned. Now you can't use anymore. In Korea, 15 years ago compared to now, there is no difference at all about skiing.

For example,

And yet Korea dominates both Germany and France. Exlain that.

Sorry, "explain" that.

Korea does WAYYYYYYY better than your favourite country Germany at the Winter Universiades.

Sorry, "explain" that.

Korea does WAYYYYYYY better than your favourite country Germany at the Winter Universiades.

Universiade for an amateur. Only players will join the University.

Then maybe you shouldn’t expect Koreans to get inspired to learn ski jumping just because they hosted a Winter Universiade. Since no one in the world cares about it.

Maybe you should wait until you see the effects of a Winter Olympics on Korean youth instead.

Then maybe you shouldn’t expect Koreans to get inspired to learn ski jumping just because they hosted a Winter Universiade. Since no one in the world cares about it.

Maybe you should wait until you see the effects of a Winter Olympics on Korean youth instead.

Problem is not just 1997 jumping park.

1988 Seoul Olympic Stadium is not an Olympics legacy. 10 more million dollars deficit every year. It's demolition will be discussed. Because it's getting old, nobody use now. Last year, The Seoul government was reviewed the construction of shopping centers after demolition of the 1988 Olympics main stadium. Nevertheless, they are lying to IOC members. For Pyeongchang 2018 Alpensia resort. Now, has debt 800 million dollar. I can imagine the situation enough after the 2018 Olympics.

France won 2 gold medal this year in world cup in 1000m and 1500m and we are second on 500 m ;)

You should follow sport if you are a fan

Men :

500 m : 1 Simon Cho (USA) 2 Thibaut Fauconnet (France) 3 Wenhao Liang (China)

1 000 m : 1 Thibaut Fauconnet (France) 2 Jinkyu Noh (Korea) 3 Travis Jayner (USA)

1 500 m 1 Maxime Chataignier (France) 2 Liu Xianwei (China) 3 Michael Gilday (Canada)

5 000 m relais : 1 Canada 2 Korea 3 Netherland

Official ranking :

http://www.sportresult.com/federations/ISU/ShortTrack/Rankings.aspx?rep=7053

http://www.sportresult.com/federations/ISU/ShortTrack/Rankings.aspx?rep=7050

http://www.sportresult.com/federations/ISU/ShortTrack/Data/PDFs/WorldRanking.pdf

France won 2 gold medal this year in world cup in 1000m and 1500m and we are second on 500 m ;)

You should follow sport if you are a fan

MDR. Well, you said they were world champions, so I assume you meant the World Championships. France did won win a medal there. But whatever. Congrats, I'm happy for France.

And I really don't follow short track except during the Olympics. I'm more of a hockey fan, and I'm a skier and snowboarder, and a hockey player. (I used to play competitive curling too, lol) But I'm not really a short track fan.

MDR. Well, you said they were world champions, so I assume you meant the World Championships. France did won win a medal there. But whatever. Congrats, I'm happy for France.

Whoops, I meant "France did NOT win a medal there. But whatever. Congrats, I'm happy for France."

Sorry, my typing is horrible today.

Archived