I have an idea

Since there is currently talk in the Pyeongchang forum YET AGAIN about how Korea lacks tradition and popular fervour, I would like to present a new proposal to Tulsa and Nature.

The Winter Olympics are very much about change and new traditions as it is about the old. It's about adapting to the modern world as well. So when we look at the 5 newest winter sports that have been part of the Winter Olympics since 1992, we notice a change in winter sports leaders (Before that, the last events to be added were in 1964). The five new sports are curling, freestyle skiing, short track speed skating, skeleton and snowboarding.

The top 5 medal countries in those 5 new winter sports are:

USA - 58 medals

Canada - 51 medals

South Korea - 37 medals

China - 31 medals

Switzerland - 21 medals

To those two nuts here that continue to criticize Korea's lack of winter tradition, I ask how come the more traditional winter nations can't adapt to the newer sports to produce more medals? I propose that we reward these newer winter nations with Winter Olympics because they have shown an ability to adapt to the modern Winter Olympics. Since the traditional countries all hosted Winter Olympics in the early traditional days, now it's time for the modern winter countries to host in the modern days.

Now, the USA and Canada have already hosted since 1992. Korea is bidding for 2018, and Switzerland has announced their intention to bid for 2022. And maybe China could host after that too.

And yes, I know that Korea's 37 medals in the newer sports have incidentally all come from short track, but "nature" likes to remind us that Germany has 358 total medals, regardless of sport. So medals are medals.

What do you think? I think if you fail to adapt to the newer winter sports, you really don't care about the modernization and evolution of winter sports. I think newer traditions should be rewarded, so USA, Canada, Korea, China and Switzerland need to host more. Good idea?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not? Most of the time it takes two seconds to reply. The rest of the time they're doing me a favour by responding. If people like FCBayern, who's clearly a Munich fan and has Bavarian roots, can turn into a Pyeongchang supporter because those two idiots keep talking, then it's in Pyeongchang's favour to let these two keep talking.

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather those two just go away and leave, because Gamesbids was a friendlier place without them. But that's not going to happen, and they won't leave until the vote is over. So we might as well make the best of the situation.

I can't support Pyeongchang along with environmental and financial problems. For the past 10 years, have not changed anything for athlestes. This bid not for sport, just for politicians.

Alpensia ? with 800 million dollar. If Korea really wanted to develop winter sport, 1.5 billion dollars should have been used for young players and practice rink rather than luxury houses and golf course for Alpensia resort. The Jumping park was built in 1997 is abandoned. Now you can't use anymore. Winter Olympics held in this country that is an insult to the winter sports.

What about your idea for the Seoul Olympic Stadium ? Construction of shopping centers are being discussed after demolition.

have not changed anything for athlestes.

Alpensia ? with 800 million dollar.

have not changed anything for athletes.

Alpensia ? with debt of 800 million dollar.

/\ Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather those two just go away and leave, because Gamesbids was a friendlier place without them. But that's not going to happen, and they won't leave until the vote is over. So we might as well make the best of the situation.

You THINK they'll leave. But like I've said before, if PyeongChang wins, their ramblings & tirades will turn from "South Korea has no winter tradition, lack of snow, yada yada yada" TO "the IOC are a bunch of corrupt fools! They obviously don't care about winter tradition & legacy anymore, all they care about is MONEY like FIFA with Qatar, & more blah, blah, blah, nanny booboo!" Mark my words. Those 2 "pathetic" (Tulsa's favorite word) fools know no logic nor objectivity.

And that's Y I gave up on those 2 morons long ago. They're nothing but a bunch of big hypocrite anyway.

As your siad, Germany has been no winter games for 80 years with 358 medals. I think 2018 must go to Munich.

And, Medals are not important. The most important things are passion for winter sport and conditions that can be enjoyed by everyone. The Winter Olympics host is not important at all. Korea has been so obsessed with it only. As a result, Alpensia financial crisis has raised.

As your siad,

As your said,

As your said, Germany has been no winter games for 80 years with 358 medals. I think 2018 must go to Munich.

And, Medals are not important. The most important things are passion for winter sport and conditions that can be enjoyed by everyone. The Winter Olympics host is not important at all. Korea has been so obsessed with it only. As a result, Alpensia financial crisis has raised.

And, Winter sports powerhouses Finland and Sweden have not yet, including Germany.

In Korea, Despite the not good conditions, Only politicians are overly obsessed.

And, Winter sports powerhouses Finland and Sweden have not yet, including Germany.

In Korea, Despite the not good conditions, Only politicians are overly obsessed.

But neither Finland nor Sweden have bid so they can't be awarded the Games... It's true Germany is one of the countries with more winter sports tradition (in fact, they have managed to top the medals table more than once at recent Games), but if Munich hosted in 2018, and considering Sochi is in Russia (i.e. Europe, to the eyes of the IOC), there would be 3 consecutive Winter Games in Europe, so why not giving the Games to Asia now that they have a viable project and leave Europe and North America again for 2022 and 2026 (and 2030, and 2034...)?

And also note how all the recent Games held in years ending in 8 have taken place in Asia (I don't think it's just coincidence but also the result of continental rotations in both Summer and Winter Games. It seems that sometimes, even if your bid is technically brilliant, it's simply not your turn):

1988 (Summer) - Seoul

1998 (Winter) - Nagano

2008 (Summer) - Beijing

2018 (Winter) - PyeongChang?

2028 (Summer) - Tokyo?

2038 (Winter) - Harbin?

PS: That being said, I'm not ruling out anyone for 2018, just giving my opinion that Korea is more likely to get the Games than Germany or France.

And I'm also personally interested in Europe not getting these Games :P

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean 3 consecutive Games in Europe but 2 ;)

This is about more than geography. I notice that Germany could not host for 80 years.

Sochi is just not Europe, New place and Eurasia. Dr. Jacques Rogge confirmed that the IOC had no written or unwritten rule regarding a rotation policy with the five continents to host the Games. And Currently the upcoming editions are in New place with the Sochi 2014 winter Games and the Rio 2016 summer Games. Moreover 1972 Sapporo, 1964 Tokyo is not 8.

In Korea, Muju resort went bankrupt after the 1997 Winter Universiade. Was replaced three times since the Universiade host. Now, Pyeongchang Alpensia have debt 800 million dollar. I can imagine the situation enough after the Olympics. An Additional government spending must stop for the 2018 Olympics. Muju was a national park. like saying Pyeongchang, moving rare plants and trees were planted, but all died. Universiade was small scale compared to the Olympics but, the negative impact was greater on the environment and economy.

This is about more than geography. I notice that Germany could not host for 80 years.

Sochi is just not Europe, New place and Eurasia. Dr. Jacques Rogge confirmed that the IOC had no written or unwritten rule regarding a rotation policy with the five continents to host the Games. And Currently the upcoming editions are in New place with the Sochi 2014 winter Games and the Rio 2016 summer Games. Moreover 1972 Sapporo, 1964 Tokyo is not 8.

Geography plays a very important role... And maybe Germany needs to wait only 4 more years.

The where-is-Sochi debate is very interesting, really, but "politically" speaking, according to the IOC, Russia is part of Europe. There may be much more doubts if it was Novosibirsk or somewhere in Kamchatka, but Sochi, if in doubt, is Europe.

Geography plays a very important role... And maybe Germany needs to wait only 4 more years.

The where-is-Sochi debate is very interesting, really, but "politically" speaking, according to the IOC, Russia is part of Europe. There may be much more doubts if it was Novosibirsk or somewhere in Kamchatka, but Sochi, if in doubt, is Europe.

Sochi is real new horizons. The fist Winter Games in Eastern.

It's time to return to the traditional region.

Sochi is a new frontier of sorts and is also in Europe according to the IOC. The two aren't mutually exclusive. But of course, we're treated to Munich/Annecy supporters painting it as a new host, and Pyeongchang supporters painting it as Europe, and neither having it any other way. :lol:

old-woman_or_young-girl.jpg

And I'm also personally interested in Europe not getting these Games :P

If Annecy gets the games, it would definitely kill Paris for 2020. That may be good for Spain, Italy, Turkey, Japan, South-Africa? North America?.....;)

North America & South Africa ain't bidding anyway. And then you may have those 10 or so other members from those other countries that MAY vote on such a hypothetical, which Paris hasn't made a peep about. Still not enough votes to amount to anything.

Since there is currently talk in the Pyeongchang forum YET AGAIN about how Korea lacks tradition and popular fervour, I would like to present a new proposal to Tulsa and Nature.

The Winter Olympics are very much about change and new traditions as it is about the old. It's about adapting to the modern world as well. So when we look at the 5 newest winter sports that have been part of the Winter Olympics since 1992, we notice a change in winter sports leaders (Before that, the last events to be added were in 1964). The five new sports are curling, freestyle skiing, short track speed skating, skeleton and snowboarding.

The top 5 medal countries in those 5 new winter sports are:

USA - 58 medals

Canada - 51 medals

South Korea - 37 medals

China - 31 medals

Switzerland - 21 medals

To those two nuts here that continue to criticize Korea's lack of winter tradition, I ask how come the more traditional winter nations can't adapt to the newer sports to produce more medals? I propose that we reward these newer winter nations with Winter Olympics because they have shown an ability to adapt to the modern Winter Olympics. Since the traditional countries all hosted Winter Olympics in the early traditional days, now it's time for the modern winter countries to host in the modern days.

Now, the USA and Canada have already hosted since 1992. Korea is bidding for 2018, and Switzerland has announced their intention to bid for 2022. And maybe China could host after that too.

And yes, I know that Korea's 37 medals in the newer sports have incidentally all come from short track, but "nature" likes to remind us that Germany has 358 total medals, regardless of sport. So medals are medals.

What do you think? I think if you fail to adapt to the newer winter sports, you really don't care about the modernization and evolution of winter sports. I think newer traditions should be rewarded, so USA, Canada, Korea, China and Switzerland need to host more. Good idea?

:rolleyes:

Ok Stupid post. Korea wins medals only in speed skating... And moreover Korea doesn't exist in skeleton, curling, snowboard and Freestyle skiing...

Moreover In Snowboard and Freestyle ski, WOG aren't the reference for Athletes... and lot of of them don't participate because the level is too low in WoG. They prefer to go on America open and Xgames... Whom the reference actually for these sports.

But if you look the worldcup since 1994 Korea won't be in the 10 first country.

Just a thing about sport

In the world ranking of more stronger country in sport, Korea isn't in the top 10

About snowboard and Freestyle ski Usa is the first Country and France and Canada are in second place. ;)

In French

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classement_mondial_des_grandes_nations_du_sport

http://www.lagardere.com/centre-presse/communiques-de-presse/communiques-de-presse-122.html&idpress=3947

In English

Europe does better in traditional winter sports and countries like the US, Canada, Korea and China do better in newer winter sports. So why is France and Germany praised for being oldschool, and why is Korea looked down upon for being newschool?

In English

http://www.havas-se.com/news.php?nid=209

To complete my preview post

France organize with USA the most important Freestyle event in the world each year, Snowboard and Freestyle skiing are very popular. and since 15 years France are in the top 3 on these sports... Korea doesn't exist.

And since 5 years France are the most strongest country with USA in Freestyle ski.

In the newschool sports France is a precursor, Freeride, Kitesnow, speed riding, slopestyle, big air... these sports are very popular in Europe in USA but doesn't exist in Olympic games... I think Korea isn't strong in new sport because you win medals only in 1 sport... Except Short track never I heard something about Korea in winter sport.

When you win medals in other sports maybe you could become a precursor but actually you are a particular case.

Europe does better in traditional winter sports and countries like the US, Canada, Korea and China do better in newer winter sports. So why is France and Germany praised for being oldschool, and why is Korea looked down upon for being newschool?

French are quite good at Snowboard and freestyle (European XGames are in France)

and they're comming in short track.

They are also quite good at halfpipe skiing and lady ski jump (new in Socchi).

The bid is "From the mountains, with the athletes, for the future".

I'm glad you think my original post is stupid. I meant for it to be stupid. I'm trying to show that different countries prefer certain sports over others, whether it be traditional or modern, skiing or skating. As country doesn't have to LOVE every winter sport to be a winter nation. You brought up biathlon earlier today as an example of how Koreans don't care about winter sports. Well, Canada is a winter nation and most Canadians don't even know what biathlon is. Like I said, most Canadians think it's a summer sport.

France doesn't care about short track, but that's ok because they don't have to like every sport. But there would still be good crowds at a French Winter Olympics for short track right? Same with Korea. They might not be good in biathlon, and it might not be a favourite sport. But the crowd will be impressive for almost all events in Pyeongchang.

Archived