Vancouver post Stanley Cup final riots

This was the city that hosted the world last year? Truly disgusting. Caps taken off CTV BC:

fan.jpg

fan2.jpg

Off the Shangrilla building (Encom tower in TRON Legacy)

fan3.jpg

fan4.jpg

fan5.jpg

fan6.jpg

fan7.jpg

fan8.jpg

Sad Vancouver. Very sad. News said that probably the Anarchists that tried to do riots last year at the start of the games were also involved tonight.

The riots and the Canucks have nothing to do with the Olympics. Walking around the city and feeling the anticipation around here the past few weeks, I noticed a very different vibe in town. Last night got ugly. Very ugly. But it was only a select few. The overwhelming majority of Vancouverites were saddened, but graceful in their defeat. Last night's rioters likely would have done something either way. Every society has hooliganism. Last night, it was Vancouver's turn.

• Like 1

Saw video this morning, and at first glance, thought it was another riot in the Middle East. I soon realized it was in Vancouver.

It is funny how a little bit of alcohol and sports teams make the whole world alike.

Saw video this morning, and at first glance, thought it was another riot in the Middle East. I soon realized it was in Vancouver.

It is funny how a little bit of alcohol and sports teams make the whole world alike.

That's why, other than soccer and volleyball, I BARELY GIVE any of the other US professional leagues a minute of my time.

This vid was posted on Global. A guy tried to intervene in the window smashing, but got beat up instead. But watch the beginning of the vid. There's also very young teenagers and girls getting involved. They seem to always put the blame on "young men", but this goes to show that females get involved too.

Sad Vancouver. :angry:

Was this worst than the one in 94?

It seems that there are opportunists taken advantage of the situation to wreck havoc...

Here's a comparison between the '94 and '11 riots:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/06/16/f-vancouver-riot-1994-2011.html

At this point, last night's riot was worse than '94's.

Interesting post from someone on the Canucks message board.

Source: http://forum.canucks.com/topic/307949-rioting-in-vancouver-tonight/page__st__320

Post #335 in that thread

I was there for the 94 riots. I was a young thug and after the game a bunch of us hopped on the bus from east Van straight to downtown. We smashed windows and looted stores on Granville, Robson. We were big Canuck fans and young and dumb. We were 18 years old and looking to vent our frustrations. We were tear gassed and pushed down block to block. We have great stories of that riot for years to come. Oh how dumb we were!!!!!!!!

Seeing this footage really brought me back there. I seen myself in those young punks. Its a shame but this is the real Vancouver. I grew up in Vancouver and this is the same element I have seen all my life here. I come from a crappy family and poor Vancouver school systems which will continue to produce this element for years to come. Thank god I smartened up in my earlier twenties as many of my same friends from the 94 riots are dead , incarcerated or have evolved into drug dealers still to this day.

The Vancouver police did a very poor job. There was clearly not enough of them and took very poor preventative measures on contrary to what the police will tell you. There were 8000 police during the Olympics and less than 10 percent of that there before this riot broke out. It was destined to fail, the writing was on the wall. The Olympic crowd in which i was in was very international and the police and military presence was ever so apparent unlike this riot. The police will never admit fault for this but it is clear they were out manned by the rioters by far.

Where do we go from here? Next time their might be an inkling of a riot the police have to nip it in the bud. Much more police presence is needed and even military presence is needed. Look how they deal with hooligans in Europe. They over staff the authorities and employ crowd traffic control before the event even starts, they line up and protect shops and keep crowds moving. This is another epic failure of Vancouver city police.

Ugh... I'm so ashamed. I was also pretty darn upset after yesterday's games, but going around and destroying your own city is just stupid. I hope the hooligans are punished accordingly with some jail time and heavy fines! Why should tax payers have to clean up the mess made by a select few brainless idiots?

The leagues like NHL, NFL, etc., should suspend the offending city (like Vanc) for the next season.

It wasn't the team's fault. It was the idiot Anarchists that tried starting riots last year at the start of the Olympics. They got the ball going, and then all the stoned, drunkin' idiots joined in.

It wasn't the team's fault. It was the idiot Anarchists that tried starting riots last year at the start of the Olympics. They got the ball going, and then all the stoned, drunkin' idiots joined in.

But if there is that sanction, then the responsible fans will be motivated strongly to contain the troublesome elements.