2012 sporting legacy myth

2012 sporting legacy myth

All over London and the rest of the country, people are fighting against the government and the local councils because facilities are being closed, and sold to property developers. I wil post some links later

My son is a very good 14-year old athlete. I am not bad either – I use to run for London. We live in South London. We have to travel for miles three evenings every week to get access to inadequate expensive sporting facilities. The general feeling of the management committee of our athletic club  – is that if London were awarded the games ordinary athletes such as our children will suffer.

Last year the club made a lottery application. But it was placed on hold – subject the result of the 2012 bid on 6 July. We have been told we will only get the improvements to the track– if London does NOT get the games.

None of the teenage runners my 14 year old son trains with can identify HOW the 2012 games in London would benefit them.

In the word of one young runner I coach: “I have been to Paris AND east London. If I had the choice of running for Britain in east London or Paris – I would rather go to Paris for two weeks - it would be great. I think the crowd in London would put me under a lot more pressure, because I can see what they do to Tim Henman. London it too expensive for everything”

As for the argument that ordinary Londoners will benefit for a state-of-the-art stadium in Stratford. I am not convinced. It is highly improbable that we will get access to the facility to practice.

For a start I live close the Crystal Palace Athletics track, but cannot use it as my son and I are no ‘elite’ enough.

Even if we could use the new Stadium in Stratford - it is too far. How many Londoners will actually be able to use the new Wembley Stadium? Get real.

Wembley is already a missed opportunity – because it will not have the facilities currently fund at the  Stade France stadium – but it could have:

http://www.stadefrance.fr/events/events.php

Wembley could have been a world class football rugby AND athletics stadium sustainable to host an athletic world championship – as a plan B if London does not get the games next week.

Here is one little story from a London newspaper. In the case of this story, children are being denied access to sporting facilities that are instead being hired out to motorbike training company.

'Let our kids use empty sports pitches'

Jun 24 2005

South London Press

YOUTH groups are appealing for sports facilities at a deserted school to be opened to kids during the summer holidays.

The former Lilian Baylis School in Lollard Street, Kennington, has been empty since pupils moved into their new home in Kennington Lane.

Lambeth council wants to sell the building which houses three sports halls, an indoor football pitch and tennis and basketball courts.

Campaigners have called on the council to make those facilities available to young people during the summer.

The push is backed by former sports minister and Vauxhall MP Kate Hoey.

The politician, who also co-chairs the Southwark and Lambeth Sport Action Zone - an organisation that promotes sport in the boroughs - said the former school site should be opened at the end of term for kids to use.

She added: "I know the council will make a decision about the long-term future of the site but in the meantime it seems such a waste.

"There are lots of groups that would love to get in here.

"We can't allow all these facilities to sit here during the summer.

"There is a real shortage of sports facilities and the 2012 Olympic bid is about a sporting legacy for London."

Brian Dickens, the sport action zone's director, said: "It is crazy. The school is sitting here empty when young people could be playing basketball or football or taking part in athletics.

"There are no other facilities in the area and having to travel a long way puts people off sport."

Andy McKinney, from community group Your Story, said: "We could get 100 people from the area in here a day doing sports and homework."

Council leader Councillor Peter Trues-dale said the authority would make a decision about opening the school soon.

But he added: "A change of use of the school needs to be approved by the Department for Education and Skills."

What do you think about the sports facilities being unused?

Surferdude

You remind me of my wife – but probably much less attractive. She passionate supports the 2012 bid but is unable to give a single reason why.

She has never been on a tennis court but goes to Wimbledon and waves the flag whenever there is Brit is playing. But loses interest after week one when they are all knocked out. Time for a divorcee me thinks!

Surferdude

You remind me of my wife – but probably much less attractive. She passionate supports the 2012 bid but is unable to give a single reason why.

She has never been on a tennis court but goes to Wimbledon and waves the flag whenever there is Brit is playing. But loses interest after week one when they are all knocked out. Time for a divorcee me thinks!

Mike, you're new on here, so acquaint yourself with my previous posts, where I  have given numerous arguments and reasoning, before you start comparing me to anyone, least of all your wife. She has my utmost sympathy.

It's called Patriotism - support your country, support your people.

Thank God that in England, during World War II,  patriotic people like your wife existed. The men went out to fight, the women did all the men's jobs - all in all the British stuck together, hence the Nazi's were prevented from invading the UK.

If people in the 1940's had adopted your line of thinking, then the German's would have had no problem whatsoever, you'd have all said- "Do you want britain? Have it.  We prefer a German government anyway, rather than Churchill, we'd prefer Hitler as our King, rather than George VI."

It's called Patriotism - support your country, support your people.

Thank God that in England, during World War II,  patriotic people like your wife existed. The men went out to fight, the women did all the men's jobs - all in all the British stuck together, hence the Nazi's were prevented from invading the UK.

If people in the 1940's had adopted your line of thinking, then the German's would have had no problem whatsoever, you'd have all said- "Do you want britain? Have it.  We prefer a German government anyway, rather than Churchill, we'd prefer Hitler as our King, rather than George VI."

Thank you, that was an eloquent progression to where I was heading.

It's a valid point about the patriotism, but it doesn't negate the fact that Mike raised a perfectly sensible question. If a London Games is to have a real lasting legacy, the attitude to sport from top to bottom in government, and indeed society, must change, starting on July 7.

Outside of the Olympic bid, the government has shown little commitment to major sporting projects. A multi-million pound centre for swimming and gymnastics has long been planned down here in Portsmouth, but the funding just will not come. This project is intended as a regional centre of excellence, helping people like our own Katy Sexton to train properly, instead of having to travel half way up the country for a remotely decent facility.

A change of attitude has to start at the very top. Claiming to be a Newcastle United fan isn't enough. As long as rotten public tennis courts still cost £5 an hour even when no-one is competing for court time, there will be work to do.

Now certainly all right-thinking people appreciate the British people for their courage and sacrifice during WWII. But it is perhaps time for the British to find another way of defending themselves rather than having to always fall back on memories of the War.

Now certainly all right-thinking people appreciate the British people for their courage and sacrifice during WWII. But it is perhaps time for the British to find another way of defending themselves rather than having to always fall back on memories of the War.

I agree parisphoto. The war is brought up far too often on these forums as an argument when it shouldn't be. But I also agree with the gist of that post; that a little patriotism wouldn't go amiss sometimes.

Archived