New Wembley Stadium

mr.x

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully it won't be too long, but the news today is not exactly encouraging with talk of next June for opening.

Maybe its a PR exercise, They say it will be ready in June 2007, What they mean is they will Finish earlier and try to explain that it has been a success.

Well it shouldn't be too long now, judging from the latest aerial shot...

Wembley%20July06_800.jpg

Very impressing picture. Although it'll look very much different of the stadium we used to know -- Wembley will still be a true football cathedral. Well done!

But there's something I don't understand: Why have they already laid the turf when the opening is still 10 months away? Isn't it quite unusual to endanger the turf by the ongoing construction works?

I think they've put such a distant date so people don't get upset if they set an October date and miss that. It's like Scotty on Star Trek. He'd say a job would take four weeks when it could be done in two and everyone would be mazed when it was fixed so fast.

It is even more strange that the goalposts are in already. Some say that it is a PR excercie by Multiplex.

Does anyone know who will be touring around June next year and may be the 1st band/singer to perform at New Wembley.

I don't get it -- why do they say the stadium won't be ready before June? It looks absolutely ready! It looks even more ready than Athens' Olympic Stadium only three months before the opening of the Games! So for what in the world do they need another ten months?

Guest ryan04

Those are amazing pictures, the reason i can see the June opening that way they can finish this year with groundwork and make it look nice outside, then have it finished early 07 that way it looks like the ended ahead of time, to make up for the deadline they missed.

So, I don't get it -- about the arch. Why is it leaning to one side only? Is it attached to the moveable roof, so that when the roof closes, it'll then lean to the other side? Or is it there strictly for aerial performances?

One of the reasons for it is to support the roof, so there are no pillars to obstruct spectators' views.

One of the reasons for it is to support the roof, so there are no pillars to obstruct spectators' views.

I understand that - but why does it only lean to one side?

So: 1. Wembley does not have a retractable roof? 2. Will that arch sway too, if the roof closes over? THat's what's not clear to me.

1) The roof is semi-retractable. Part of it will move, part of it will be permanent.

2) The arch holds up the part of the roof that won't move (I think the movable bit slides under/over this bit). The arch won't sway, though it'd be kind of cool if it did!

1) The roof is semi-retractable. Part of it will move, part of it will be permanent.

2) The arch holds up the part of the roof that won't move (I think the movable bit slides under/over this bit). The arch won't sway, though it'd be kind of cool if it did!

Thanks, Rob. OK; I can figure it out now.

• 2 weeks later...

Logical, I suppose, given Wembley can stage athletics, but I would have thought it is politically unworkable, given the legacy issues for the East End and the desire to have a world class athletics facility.

Also, I'm fairly sure putting the track in at Wembley would reduce capacity to below minimum IOC requirements.

i have this weird feeling the olympic stadium might have issues in 2012...and we'll see the athletic competition move to wembley...but i highly doubt that though...

Impossible,the Olympic stadium has to be ready as Wembley probably won't be (at this rate)! :rolleyes:

Archived