New Wembley Stadium

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21122005/140/new-...y-deadline.html

New Doubts Over Wembley Deadline

Sky News Wednesday December 21, 12:02 PM

There are new fears the Wembley Stadium may not be completed in time for the 2006 FA Cup final as agreed.Contractor Multiplex has admitted rebuilding work means it could miss the May deadline.Two days ago, the Australian firm revealed it faced losses of up to £70m on the troubled project.

Multiplex has been dogged by problems with the 90,000-seat arena, including a row with its steel contractor.

Now it looks increasingly likely the Football Association will have to stage the next May's cup final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff once again.

A Multiplex statement read: "The project is currently tracking to a revised programme ... with works substantially completed by end of March 2006.

"(Any delay) would be likely to lead to significant additional costs, including liquidated damages."

Nice pics Rob.

It'll be ready when it's ready.  Guess we won't really know until Mar 31st Next year, as that is when Multiplex hand it over to WNSL for testing.

They have shown they can get a move on lately, especially with the roof construction.  Once that is in place, health and safety regulations will then allow them to work underneath the roof, and get the ground and lower seating ready.

Yes they're great pictures!

It's ridiculous, different people involved seem to release different storys everyday regarding when Wembley will be finished - I struggle to keep up - yesterday it would be on time - today not.

• 2 weeks later...

PIC_0207.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't find a link to the article (I found this scan on another site and haven't actually read the article myself). If anyone could find it, that'd be great.

So when is Multiplex going to go bankrupt? There headquarters here in Perth has moved into a smaller office over the summer, quite funny. I used to walk past it everyday.

They certainly have screwed over the FA in this regard. Cant wait till the 2006 FA Cup final. Im looking into my crystal ball for the most unlikley match-up. I see Liverpool vs Ipswich Town... oh the drama.

ON ANOTHER New Year's Eve, the best part of a decade ago, modern Britain's greatest folly was taking shape. Its long cantilevered arms, tipped with red lights, stretched out to the night sky. Two years to the day away from its opening, and seen at midnight from a deserted and rain-swept East London side street, the Millennium Dome would never look as beautiful again.

We all know what happened next. Conceived in confusion and executed in haste, the dome turned out to be a £750 million ($1765 million) symbol of the vanity of leaders who wanted to put on a big show without having to bother about the little matter of substance. Even before its opening, it was seen as a national embarrassment.

Driving to look at the new Wembley stadium as another year dawned, very different emotions are engaged. The sheer uselessness of the dome was apparent early. At the Wembley site, the half-built stadium lacks the pure aesthetic quality of the incomplete dome; the sense of purpose, however, is unmistakable.

I have no idea whether the 129 days that remain between now and the date of the FA Cup final on May 13 are sufficient to complete the jobs of connecting the 2618 toilets to the London Borough of Brent's sewerage system or stocking the 688 "catering outlets". All I can say is that from the outside, it doesn't look as though the big kick-off can be all that far away.

If the builder, Australian construction giant Multiplex, doesn't make it in time for the cup final, it will have another 16 days to avoid an even bigger humiliation. For by inviting Hungary to become the first international side to play in the new stadium, the Football Association has lodged a hostage to fortune.

Hungary occupies a unique place in the history of English football. It was 52 years ago last November that Ferenc Puskas and his teammates arrived at the old Wembley and became the first team from outside Britain to beat the game's inventor on its home territory (a 6-3 walloping, for good measure).

Like the dome, the new Wembley was born of chaos, uncertainty and indecision. Even after the old twin towers had come down, there was a time when it seemed as though the entire project was in jeopardy. The decision to drive it forward is turning out to have been a brave and far-sighted one.

During a tour of its perimeter at the start of the new year, the stadium's vast cost began to make slightly better sense. At an all-in figure of $1780 million, which is to say a mere $16 million more than the estimated cost of the dome, the bill for the new Wembley will be around three times that of Stade de France. Despite its success in hosting the 1998 World Cup final and the athletics world championships of 2003, Stade de France is not a place that encourages tourists to visit when nothing is going on.

Even in the old days, Wembley offered a worthwhile tour for visitors. Covering an area something like five times larger, and with a vast concourse, the new arena has the potential to become a much greater attraction.

But the real reward is even greater. Once open for business, Wembley will provide a symbol of real achievement to encourage the London Olympic organising committee, whose job is to fulfil the promises contained in the 2012 bid document.

Compared with its task, building the new Wembley may come to seem like putting up a garden shed.

You don't really appreciate the size of the stadium, until you see pictures like the one above, and compare them to the tiny matchbox size cars dotted around the outside of the stadium.

Great pic ;), I think more progress has been made with the roof since that photo was taken aswell. :)

Very true. If you look at the webcam on the official site you can see the Southern roof is almost complete.

:)