New Wembley Stadium

mr.x

The only thing they have in common is that they're both stadiums in London. I don't see why Wembley should have any bearing on the Olympic venues other than, perhaps, as an example of not what to do.

I agree with that. I may be critical at the length of time in which Wembley has taken to be constructed, but I have much more hope with regard to the Olympics. It is a totally different set up to what has happened with Wembley. For a start I believe we actually have the right people in place to deliver the Olympics...the professionals. Wembley is totally different because of the people that are making the decisions. You only have to see some of the idiots at the FA to realise why Wembley has taken sooo long. On the other hand I am happy that when Wembley finally does open it's doors it is going to be a World Class venue. I don't think many people understand at this stage just how impressive Wembley looks when you see it in reality. It is a monster of a building and by all accounts it is also going to be the most luxurious and spacious for the average fan. My only fear is that ticket prices will be so high that the average fan won't be able to enjoy it. Yet another typical FA oversight.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit I have not been following the progress of the new Wembley that much. Were there labor strikes, shortage of materials or redesigns that have caused this long amount of time to complete it?

I can't say much about the pace. I live in San Francisco. The place that will finally be done replacing the Bay Bridge that collapsed in 1989 in 2013! :blink:

The initial reason it was halted was the intervention of than sports minister Kate Howy over concern about the feasibility of the athletics track, and it never really regained its credibility and was beset by problems after that.

however I still think Kate Howy was right to have halted it.

It was supposed to be a national stadium , not just a football stadium.

The Olympic stadium wont have the same problem.

The initial reason it was halted was the intervention of than sports minister Kate Howy over concern about the feasibility of the athletics track, and it never really regained its credibility and was beset by problems after that.

however I still think Kate Howy was right to have halted it.

It was supposed to be a national stadium , not just a football stadium.

The Olympic stadium wont have the same problem.

That should have been kate hoey

We should also add into the equation a poor relationship between the FA and the contractor Multiplex, and the fact that the FA apparently kept making further changes during the construction process leading to further delays.

In short, the Olympics will be much different as we won't have the amateurism of the FA involved. The people that will be making the decisions will be professionals with lots of experience in delivering large projects. No doubt there will be some problems. I think that is a given on any project of the size of an Olympics games in the 21st century. However, I don't see a disaster on the horizon. There is simply too many eyes on the ball and too much face to loose.

I hope I don't look back at this post in shame.

Like rugby, it's a game played by men with odd shaped balls. :rolleyes:

Yeah, especially those NFL players having to wear all that protective gear just to protect themselves from getting injured. ;)

Here it is!!

Stick it on full screen, watch and enjoy!

:lol:

Thanks Rob and it even has the background music of one of my all-time favourite films,'Bladerunner'!

Can't wait for the FA Cup Final on May 19!!

• 1 month later...

The pain is nearly over! The pain is nearly over! After seven years:

Wembley keys to be handed over

7.18, Fri Mar 9 2007

After years of controversy and delays, keys to the new Wembley Stadium could be handed over later [today].

Sources say a fire alarm certificate, obtained yesterday, was the last box to be ticked on the £800 million project.

Cutlery and glasses are being unpacked in restaurants at the stadium and computers for the offices and monitors for the police control room are being delivered.

It is all in preparation for the FA Cup final which will be held at the 90,000 seat stadium on May 19 - the first time it will be staged in London since 2000.

But the FA has organised a number of events before then to test the new complex's facilities.

These include a community day on March 17, when thousands of local people will tour the ground and a mini-football tournament between celebrity and local teams will take place. And a friendly international between the under-21 teams of England and Italy is scheduled for March 24.

Pop star George Michael will play the first concert at the new Wembley Stadium, on June 9, as part of his British and European tour.

Tom Kelly, an official of the GMB union, which represents many of the workers involved in building Wembley, said: "This magnificent stadium will be a wonderful memorial to the craftsmanship of the skilled workers who built the new Wembley.

"We are proud of it and we are certain that Wembley will stage many dramatic and memorable events in the future."

ITN: Wembley Keys to be Handed Over

Archived