New Wembley Stadium

mr.x

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol. WHAT! They suit football... and? Most look similar, have very uncreative features (eg; roofs, seating bowls) and are unsuitable for sports other then football, and with some effort removing seats, football.

Essentially you have described the new Wembley.

Sorry - not impressed. They should have kept the shell from the old Wembley (which was fantastic) and built a new stadium inside it. This new one looks like they built a bowl under St. Louis' Arch. :rolleyes:

Tell me how you build a stadium inside a shell of an old one which is half its size.

wembley_oldnewcrossection.gif

In a sense I agree, from the outside it looks a little functional - though I've only seen photos, and I'm told no photo does it justice because of its massiveness.

From the inside, however, she's a beauty:

http://www.thefa.com/aspxutility/ImageGall...B-0FA837185677}

For me, despite their hugely different styles, the New Wembley and Beijing's Olympic Stadium are similar in that the pictures I've seen of them in the daytime are slightly dissapointing (especially Beijing which looks like a multi-story car park). But I think both will look hugely impressive lit up in the evening. I have this of Wembley and I look forward to seeing Beijing's stadium at night:

316694448_ebd062dc3d_b.jpg

A nice arial shot to finish this post off:

stadium84001oz2.jpg

I must confess I am a fan of older stadiums so perhaps I am not that objective. So please don't start throwing flames because my flame retardent suit is at the cleaners. :P

Whether the old Wembley was falling down or not, at the very minimum part of the shell could have been saved and a new bowl placed in it. Specifically the towers. Los Angeles' latest plan to renovate the Coliseum utilizes the old shell. Chicago did the same with Soldier Field (although THAT plan is plain ugly). <_<

The other thing that bothers me is that they tore down the last legacy of the 1948 Olympics, probably one of the most important Olympics in the modern era. For that stadium to have survived WWII and host the games 3 short years later to me is amazing.

With all due respect to our British friends on here, the new Wembley IMHO is nothing special. Essentially it is a shell with an arch over it - much like Athen's Olympic stadium (or Baron's drawing of the "hanging stadium" in St. Louis) ;)

To be, as one would say, "brutally honest", I am grotesquely disappointed with this "thing" being dubbed as "the New Wembley Stadium". It fell way, way short of the phenomenal graphic renderings that were revealed to the world during its planning stages. We declare it an architectural tragedy of unprecedented proportions. Sadly, it has tarnished what has been until now, London's magnificent architectural legacy.

The Imperial

Ruling Czar

I think I'll just be relieved when the new stadium is finally open for business!! B)

Of course. Let's see, where do I start?...

In the Beginning...

We fans of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' have always known that the answer to the Mystery of Life,the Universe...and Everything is,of course,.....

Answer_to_Life.png

Hitchhikers_guide_to_the_galaxy_ver2_movie_poster.jpg

B)

It looks to be a truly amazing venue, but for the love of god this has to be the slowest construction ever. I started of sooo excited about this stadium but even I am bored now.

Yep.

Is this also going to be the pace in which the Olympic venues are going to be built?

Yep.

Is this also going to be the pace in which the Olympic venues are going to be built?

I certainly hope not.We only have until 2012!

Archived