New Wembley Stadium

mr.x

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a different project involving different people at a different time. Wembley, despite all the prestige and tradition the name carries, was ultimately no more than a football stadium. The Olympics carries far more political and sporting credibility with it and, as such, cannot be allowed to fail. I believe everything will go to plan. Have some faith.

Not sure if this article was posted here before.From the BBC news website on August 30:

'No repeat of Wembley' for 2012

Olympic chiefs have promised there will be "no repeat of Wembley" as they announce their preferred bidder to ensure the 2012 Games venues are built.

A British-American consortium, CLM, is due to be awarded the multi-million pound contract to manage the massive project in east London.

Between them, the CLM companies have experience of five previous Olympics, as well as Heathrow's Terminal Five.

Profits will only be earned if targets are met, say 2012 bosses.

Trouble with building the £757m Wembley Stadium - now expected to open in June 2007, two years over deadline - has raised fears about the huge task of building the Olympic Village and other venues.

I can assure everyone that this is will not be a repeat of Wembley

By announcing CLM as the "delivery partner" for the London Olympics, the Olympic Delivery Authority said it had learnt from the Wembley experience, and set out to avoid a lot of its pitfalls.

ODA chairman Jack Lemley said: "I can assure everyone that this is will not be a repeat of Wembley.

"The British construction and engineering industry doesn't deserve the rap they're getting because of what's happened at Wembley."

He cited other "brilliant" British projects - such as Arsenal's new stadium and the Channel Tunnel high-speed rail link.

And he said if contractors and designers could not meet their briefs, they would be fired.

The Olympic Park is at the heart of plans for the 2012 venues

"That's how we'll prevent another Wembley. ODA will be accountable in the first instance and CLM will be accountable in the second instance."

The contract is to be performance based - profits will only be earned if targets are met. CLM will be responsible for ensuring venues are built on time and to budget.

The firms involved in CLM between them have experience of other major projects, including five previous Games, the T5 project, the St Pancras Channel Tunnel rail link and the £115m new grandstand at Ascot.

CLM chairman Ray O'Rourke pointed to the consortium's track record as reassurance that the facilities for the London 2012 will be finished on schedule.

'Wonderful reputation'

"Terminal Five has been delivered nine months early and to budget while Ascot was delivered absolutely on time," he said.

"We have a wonderful reputation for delivery and it's not an issue."

CLM beat Bechtel, G3 and Legacy to the contract. Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell said they would be a "strong addition" to the 2012 team.

London 2012 chairman Lord Coe said the facilities would be ready a year early, so they could be tested, and progress would be constantly monitored.

"The International Olympic Committee will come knocking on my door if there are any delays, so this is a team effort," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5299892.stm

• 1 month later...

There are reports that the F.A. has signed a 30 million pound deal to ensure Wembley Stadium is up and running by December, disputing earlier reports that the building wouldnt open until 2010.

It seems, Wembley will indeed host next years F.A. Cup final as planned.

Multiplex and the F.A. has decided to end their bitter conflict, to ensure the stadium is completed by the December timetable.

Look for this report later.

There are reports that the F.A. has signed a 30 million pound deal to ensure Wembley Stadium is up and running by December, disputing earlier reports that the building wouldnt open until 2010.

It seems, Wembley will indeed host next years F.A. Cup final as planned.

Multiplex and the F.A. has decided to end their bitter conflict, to ensure the stadium is completed by the December timetable.

Look for this report later.

I think this was in one of the papers yesterday. As I heard it, it was claimed the FA have agreed to pay Multiplex £34 million to ensure that the 2007 FA Cup Final goes ahead at Wembley. I hope that this is the case because this has gone on for far, far too long.

Quite a revealing shot. I can see what FIFA means in that, sadly, the cramped surroundings of Wembley all but eliminates it as a World Cup final site.

Pity.

That is, of course, assuming that you believe the drivel of a FIFA "source", which I don't for a moment. Wembley is iconic, THE home of football, and no amount of bull changes that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wembley delays bring down chief

The chief executive of Wembley stadium, Michael Cunnah, has paid the price for the delays, embarrassments and cost overruns that have plagued the project with his job.

Cunnah has been eased out after four years in the position, and will be leaving Wembley National Stadium Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Football Association, today. The FA group finance director, Alex Horne, will assume his responsibilities.

Cunnah's departure had been widely anticipated ever since, earlier this year, Wembley were forced to scrap plans to hold the 2006 FA Cup final at the new stadium. The FA's chief executive, Brian Barwick, said: "Michael has made a hugely significant contribution to the development of the new Wembley Stadium project - we would like to thank him for all his hard work and wish him well in the future."

The cost of the stadium rose to £793m after the FA was forced to agree an extra £36m payment to the builders Multiplex in October. The company is expected to hand over the keys in February before a series of events leading to the official opening for the FA Cup final on 19 May.

"I am proud and delighted to have helped bring the Wembley dream to reality," Cunnah said in a statement. "It has been a privilege to assemble a dedicated team of people whose hard work, commitment and loyalty have brought Wembley Stadium to life. The stadium is now virtually complete and looks magnificent."

An FA spokesman refused to comment when asked if Cunnah had been sacked - but it is understood the change was agreed by all the stakeholders involved, including the Government and Sport England. They will look to appoint a managing director for the stadium in the new year.

Wembley is now moving out of the construction phase into the operational phase - plans to stage a concert in memory of Diana, Princess of Wales, in July were announced this week.

Independent.co.uk: Wembley delays bring down chief

In a first for London, the world’s top drivers will be competing head to head as Wembley Stadium hosts the world famous Race of Champions on Sunday 16th December 2007 in front of an audience of over 75,000 spectators.

The Race of Champions sees the world’s best circuit racers and off-road drivers come face to face on a spectacular parallel track to determine who is the fastest. Not for the weak hearted, only the most daring drivers in the business will take up the challenge and get behind the wheel. Now for the first time this gripping race will be staged in the dramatic setting of the new state of the art Wembley Stadium.

The Race of Champions, created in 1988 by International Media Productions, was originally conceived as the ultimate shoot-out between the best international drivers. Over the years it has proved to be immensely popular with the biggest names in motorsport now competing from all over the world.

Fredrik Johnsson, IMP President, organiser of The Race of Champions Nations Cup said:

“After three fantastic years at The Stade de France in Paris, IMP was contacted by some of the world’s most prestigious stadiums who wanted to stage the 2007 ROC, but when we were approached by Wembley Stadium the choice became easy! I’m sure that the world’s best drivers will be thrilled about the opportunity to compete at this most legendary venue. For the British fans it’s a fantastic opportunity to see this unique motorsport event in the brand new Wembley Stadium where they will have a magnificent view of the entire track from every seat in the stadium.”

Alex Horne, FA and WNSL Group Financial Director said:

“The Race of Champions is a thrilling spectacle and we are delighted that it will be coming to London and Wembley Stadium. This is a truly international event and is with exactly the sort of drama that Wembley Stadium has been designed to stage.”

Michele Mouton, Co-founder of ROC and acclaimed as the world’s best female rally driver of all time said:

“When I was rallying, either during the RAC rally or the British championship with my Audi Quattro, I really appreciated the enthusiasm and the support of the huge crowds cheering the drivers on along the rally road. I can’t wait to be inside the new Wembley Stadium on the Race of Champions track. With all the enthusiastic and knowledgeable British fans watching I am sure the atmosphere will be incredible!”

Motor racing will be a first for Wembley Stadium, which has been built with the flexibility to stage a number of different world class sporting events. For The Race of Champions a specially constructed parallel asphalt racing track will be built over Wembley’s pitch and 16 drivers will line up side by side under Wembley’s famous arch in identical cars to determine the ultimate and fastest racer.

Let the racing begin…

http://www.wembleystadium.com/pressbox/pre...s%20to%20London

In a first for London, the world’s top drivers will be competing head to head as Wembley Stadium hosts the world famous Race of Champions on Sunday 16th December 2007 in front of an audience of over 75,000 spectators.

The Race of Champions sees the world’s best circuit racers and off-road drivers come face to face on a spectacular parallel track to determine who is the fastest. Not for the weak hearted, only the most daring drivers in the business will take up the challenge and get behind the wheel. Now for the first time this gripping race will be staged in the dramatic setting of the new state of the art Wembley Stadium.

The Race of Champions, created in 1988 by International Media Productions, was originally conceived as the ultimate shoot-out between the best international drivers. Over the years it has proved to be immensely popular with the biggest names in motorsport now competing from all over the world.

Fredrik Johnsson, IMP President, organiser of The Race of Champions Nations Cup said:

“After three fantastic years at The Stade de France in Paris, IMP was contacted by some of the world’s most prestigious stadiums who wanted to stage the 2007 ROC, but when we were approached by Wembley Stadium the choice became easy! I’m sure that the world’s best drivers will be thrilled about the opportunity to compete at this most legendary venue. For the British fans it’s a fantastic opportunity to see this unique motorsport event in the brand new Wembley Stadium where they will have a magnificent view of the entire track from every seat in the stadium.”

Alex Horne, FA and WNSL Group Financial Director said:

“The Race of Champions is a thrilling spectacle and we are delighted that it will be coming to London and Wembley Stadium. This is a truly international event and is with exactly the sort of drama that Wembley Stadium has been designed to stage.”

Michele Mouton, Co-founder of ROC and acclaimed as the world’s best female rally driver of all time said:

“When I was rallying, either during the RAC rally or the British championship with my Audi Quattro, I really appreciated the enthusiasm and the support of the huge crowds cheering the drivers on along the rally road. I can’t wait to be inside the new Wembley Stadium on the Race of Champions track. With all the enthusiastic and knowledgeable British fans watching I am sure the atmosphere will be incredible!”

Motor racing will be a first for Wembley Stadium, which has been built with the flexibility to stage a number of different world class sporting events. For The Race of Champions a specially constructed parallel asphalt racing track will be built over Wembley’s pitch and 16 drivers will line up side by side under Wembley’s famous arch in identical cars to determine the ultimate and fastest racer.

Let the racing begin…

http://www.wembleystadium.com/pressbox/pre...s%20to%20London

So they'll be doing motor-racing now and have given up on the idea of a World Cup?

Sensible move I'd say.

The U.S. stadia are versatile and metrosexual; good for anything. ;)

Lol. WHAT! They suit football... and? Most look similar, have very uncreative features (eg; roofs, seating bowls) and are unsuitable for sports other then football, and with some effort removing seats, football.

I honestly cant think of a US stadium that will compare to Wembley once it is finshed. In terms of appeal, versatility and size.

Archived