mr.x

"a few nice things about

London and our new Wembley! What do you say?"

:wwww:  :wwww:  :wwww:

Er...shall I take that as a yes?  :kungfu:

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me that is hoping they dont write Wembley in white seats among the reds ones, It looks so crap I hate it, why do they do it? No other country feels the need to write 'The Gunners' or some other message on their seating, it looks cheap and nasty, dont do it.

Is it just me? Have I got issues?

Other than that its looking stunning ; )

Is it just me that is hoping they dont write Wembley in white seats among the reds ones, It looks so crap I hate it, why do they do it? No other country feels the need to write 'The Gunners' or some other message on their seating, it looks cheap and nasty, dont do it.

Is it just me? Have I got issues?

Other than that its looking stunning ; )

No, you're not the only one. It would look utterly horrible.

Much as Im a fan of the Olympics in London I have to admit ,that the closer the new wembly gets to completion .the less I like the design .

Its everything the New Olympic park, stadium, and aquatic center isn't

corporate and dull.

The arch is impressive put not unique enough to ever be an iconic land mark,and the outside edge of the stadium ,looks like a bland office building.

Thank fully  the new Olympic park hasn't followed suit. And is  inspired and breathtaking.

I heard someone say the other day that they thought the project was cursed by the fact that we knocked the Twin Towers down.

I personally think it's a superb design and it will be the best football stadium in the world when it's eventually finished.

It's a Cookie Cutter Stadium. I can't stand Cookie Cutter Stadiums. I wish they bought in an American company to design it because there might be a bit of charicter to the architecture.

Still, i'm just pissed because the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final and Rolling Stones concerts have both been moved to Twickenham. I'm going to both events and was so excited to be going to Wembley.

Twickenham..... Meh

Wembley.... Yeah

Oh well  :verysad:

It's a very functional design. OK, The outside view isn't as pretty as it could be, but from the inside it will be incredible. Having said that, lit up, and with all the video screens on the outside working, it should look pretty spectacular.

Comparing it to the Olympic plans is unfair for two reasons:

1) The Olympic Park blueprint is NOT what the Olympic park will look like. Someone now has to design venues which work instead of ones which look pretty on a screen in Singapore.

2) Wembley is a much bigger project than the Olympic Stadium which will be a stadium and not much more (it's projected to cost a quarter of what Wembley is costing). Also, the Olympic Stadium will be reduced to 30,000 after the games. Comparing the two venues, therfore is like comparing a nearly finished aircraft carrier to a a computer model of a yaught.

I agree its functional and that's OK,

It wasn't originally designed as part of the Olympic bid. But as a world class stadium it will do its job.It may be functional but  as a piece of architectural expression it doesn't cut the musted for me.

the lee valley project is much biger,and so are the creative challenges and expectations that the Olyimpics bring, and so far.those expectations are  are being met.

with the stakes are so high Im sue  the end result will exceed expectations.

• 3 weeks later...

April's progress highlights are as follows:

* The rafter in the northern roof which was affected in the incident in March 2006 is presently undergoing remedial works to secure it in its final position. We anticipate these works to be complete by the end of May.

* A total of 22 temporary trusses and 25 temporary roof towers have been removed to date. Removal of the remaining 2 temporary trusses and 2 roof towers is underway and expected to be complete in early May.

* The final two tower cranes are expected for demobilisation by early May and access to the bowl will be then restricted to small mobile cranes so as to not disrupt progress on laying the pitch.

Works on the playing pitch are progressing well, with the final quarter of the playing pitch to be handed over in early May.

* The two large video screens have been installed and electrical connections are underway, with testing anticipated to be complete mid May.

* Final inspections and snagging are underway in more than half of the 161 corporate boxes. Final wall panels and carpet are being installed in a further 40 ready for final inspections in May.

* 84 of 113 main concourse toilet blocks have been completed to enable power on, commissioning and final inspections/snagging to progress. Construction of the small number of toilet blocks on Level S0 affected by the roof towers has now commenced.

Have they confirmed a new opening date,yet?

Archived