New Wembley Stadium

mr.x

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today also sees the start of a vote to name the bridge that will connect Wembley Stadium to the town centre.

A panel has selected the following from 670,000 entries.

1.Sir Alf Ramsey Bridge

2.Sir Bobby Charlton Bridge

3.Sir Geoff Hurst Bridge

4.The White Horse Bridge

5.Live Aid Bridge

Personally, I think that selecting a single person to name the bridge after would be hard. I would go for Live Aid Bridge.

Naming the bridge

The fact that Bobby Moore is not among the options is a disgrace. Oh well, it'll have to be Sir Alf Ramsey.

I hear you Arwebb, I did mean to say in that post that Bobby Moore should have been there, Why does that man always get overlooked.

Yes, there are various parts of Wembley named after Sir Bobby Moore, so that's why they declined to include him in this list of nominations.  White Horse for me, although "Come on!... Letsbe Avenue Bridge" would have been good for me.

With regards to the New Wembley, I can't wait till nearly this time next year.  It going to be a magnificent place to visit. :)

The fact that Bobby Moore is not among the options is a disgrace. Oh well, it'll have to be Sir Alf Ramsey.

I hear you Arwebb, I did mean to say in that post that Bobby Moore should have been there, Why does that man always get overlooked.

There is already a Bobby Moore Bridge at the end of Olympic Way, next to Wembley Park tube station

Today also sees the start of a vote to name the bridge that will connect Wembley Stadium to the town centre.

A panel has selected the following from 670,000 entries.

1.Sir Alf Ramsey Bridge

2.Sir Bobby Charlton Bridge

3.Sir Geoff Hurst Bridge

4.The White Horse Bridge

5.Live Aid Bridge

Personally, I think that selecting a single person to name the bridge after would be hard. I would go for Live Aid Bridge.

Naming the bridge

Just read it will be called the "White Horse Bridge".

Probably a good choice in the end.  Like you said, I bet most of the voters picked a 'neutral' option, to not have to make a choice between the 3 associated with '66 world cup win.  Live Aid - whilst a defining moment in Wembley's history - was related to a concert, and not football.  Wembley is mostly associated with Football, so that left Billy The Grey, to come through as the winner.

• 1 month later...

Wow.. looking good already.

Easily the worlds greatest and best soccer stadium. Any chance of a World Cup here sometime in my lifetime?

Twicks blew me away when i went there a few months ago, but this is just amazing.

5_Roof.jpg

Maybe even watch Team GB win Gold in 2012 lol  :P

Now that would be something worth going to watch!

BTW Magic, your name is kind of prophetic. A bid of Magic was the strong theme which was weaved through London's final presentation. Did you have some kind of clue about this?!!

You think u got the best "arched" stadium in the world, huh?  Wait till you see St. Louis' new stadium!!  

St-Louis16.gif

The best damned arched stadium in the world!!

See other details of the St. Louis bid in New York 2012 folder!!

did you draw that all by yourself Baron?   :wwww:

You think u got the best "arched" stadium in the world, huh?  Wait till you see St. Louis' new stadium!!  

St-Louis16.gif

The best damned arched stadium in the world!!

See other details of the St. Louis bid in New York 2012 folder!!

did you draw that all by yourself Baron?   :wwww:

How d'you get in there? Airlift?! Sucked up from the underside like boarding a UFO?!

Maybe even watch Team GB win Gold in 2012 lol  :P

Now that would be something worth going to watch!

BTW Magic, your name is kind of prophetic. A bid of Magic was the strong theme which was weaved through London's final presentation. Did you have some kind of clue about this?!!

I think I was listening to Queen's "It's a kind of magic" when registering membership to GamesBids, and I thought London's bid is a 'bid of magic' ;)

Actually at the end of one of the video bits during the presentation it said 'London - Where magic happens' or something along those lines.  Can't argue with that.  :)

Archived