New Wembley Stadium

mr.x

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is an amazing stadium! it's got potential for being the best looking Olympic Stadium ever! :D  There's 80,000 seats and i think it's expandable to 100,000. An Olympic Stadium doesn't need to have a track, the other proposed stadium could be on a smaller scale instead and could have a track. :D

Just my opinion.

Anyway, do you have renderings of the proposed Olympic Stadium?

The new Wembley stadium is due for completion 2006 and will host the Football finals only. Here are some stats:

1. With 90,000 seats the new Wembley will be the largest football stadium in the world with every seat under cover. There will be NO obstructed views.

2. The arch is 133 metres above the level of the external concourse.

3. The stadium roof rises to 52 metres above the pitch. This compares to the 35 metres tall Twin Towers of the old stadium.

4. The new Wembley has a circumference of 1 km.

5. The London Eye could fit between the top of the arch and the pitch.

6. The new roof will be over 11 acres. Four acres are moveable.

7. The rows of seating, if placed end to end, would stretch 54 kilometers.

8. 4,000 separate piles will form the foundations of the new stadium. The deepest of these, at 35 metres, is as deep as the Twin Towers were tall.

9. There will be 35 miles of heavy-duty power cables in the stadium.

10. With a span of 315 Metres, the arch will be the longest single span roof structure in the world.

11. With a diameter of 7.4 metres the arch is wide enough for a Channel Tunnel train to run through.

12. 90,000m3 of concrete and 23,000 tonnes of steel will be used in the construction of the new stadium.

13. The roof alone will weigh almost 7,000 tonnes.

14. At peak construction there will be 1,500 people working on site.

15. The new pitch will be 4 metres lower than the previous pitch.

16. Each of the two giant screens in new stadium is the size of 600 domestic television sets.

17. The new Wembley encloses 4,000,000 m3 (cubic metres) inside its walls and under its roof. This is the equivalent of 25,000 double decker buses or 7 billion pints of milk.

18. The total length of the escalators will be the same as a 400 metre running track.

19. There will be 2000 toilets - which WNSL estimate is more than any other building in the world.

20. There is more leg room in EVERY seat in the new Wembley Stadium than there was in the Royal Box of the old stadium.

New Wembley has been designed to put the focus on fan comfort with more comfortable seating and a bigger seat pitch than the Olympic Stadium in Sydney or Stad De France.

mr.x, only the Football finals would be held here, not the atheletics or opening ceremonies etc.

Andrew

i know that, that's why i asked if anyone had the rendering of the real proposed Olympic Stadium.

BTW, nice info and renderings Mallaka. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have also heard rumours that West Ham will be the most likely occupants of the Olympic stadium after the games.

I am a West Ham fan so I am excited that there is a possibility that I will be watching football games for years after in such a great stadium.

Would West Ham fill 80,000 every week? Do you not think a smaller and more compact stadium has a better atmosphere?

You only have to look at Hertha Berlin and the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, some of the Italian clubs who had stadiums built for Itlaia 90 to see that it's not always a good idea.

West Ham 80,000 every week - do they even fill Upton Park every week?

West Ham were relegated last season to division 1 and still regularly play to a capacity at Upton Park. They have a very loyal fan base and the current stadium recently increased it's capacity to 36,000 to cope with demand.

Barbara Cassani has also stated that the Olympic stadium could be reduced in capacity to accomodate a football stadium after the Olympics.

Stratford is also an area where West Ham are very popular and the move would increase their catchment area to promote the club.

It looks liek West Ham would be an obvious choice to go into the stadium as what it needs to not be a white elephant is a regular stream of income, this doesnt necessarily have to come form a football club but its more than likely with current thinking in UK focused on football ???  then there will be few other ideas raised.

Id like to see something different - anyway West Ham need to get back into the top flight if they want to use an 80000 seat stadium - think of the overheads!  If you have a stadium that holds 40000 and you get in 38000 then you make money as all the concessions and logistics of the event are achieved.  But if you have a large stadium and you can not fill the capacity (and i mean by having 38000 or 48000 in an 80000 seat stadium) you not only lose money thorugh the concessions you will have no atmosphere through empty seats - plus you are not close to the action becuase there is a running track between the spectators and the game which worked at old Wembley but i dont think would at club level now.

Lets think of something else than football, but nonetheless the stadium's constant revenue needs would make it difficult.  :idea:

They could always remove the running track after the games and have movable stands such as in Stadium Australia which can be turned into an oval if neccessary for cricket etc.

We don't tend to go a bundle on multi-use stadiums in the UK for some reason. Each sport tends to selfishly guard its own stadiums....thats why the FA ambushed the plans for Wembley and effectively finished it as a realsitic venue for athletics....they beleived it would result in too many compromises over sight-lines etc.

Rugby has Twikenham and Murrayfield, although the Cardiff Millenium Stadium is a multiprurpose stadium as well as the home of the Welsh RFU.

Athletics are concentrated in Birmingham, Crystal Palace and in Sheffield at various stadiums.

I think what would be a good idea would have been to use the Dome for athletics after the Games. The Olympic stadium could have been converted in to a new football stadium for West Ham FC (50,000). The athletics track could have been moved to the Dome and set up as a permanent, all season training facility for athletes in London.

They could always remove the running track after the games and have movable stands such as in Stadium Australia which can be turned into an oval if neccessary for cricket etc.

yeah thought of that too but that would increase the seating capacity, they'll have to scale down the size i would imagine, everyone still focused on football though eh?

i though that stadium australia still has all its seats from Sydney 2000, doubt you could fit in 100000 for rugby othewise? ???

or are they about to scale it back now?

Stadium Australia (now Telstra Stadium) had the main North and South stands removed, and the capcity lowered to 82,000.

It is currently the largest stadium in Australia, however it holds that record simply because the Melbourne Cricket Ground has its Northern stands being demolished and rebuilt.  In 2006, the MCG will have a 100,000+ capacity and will resume its role as the largest stadium in Australia.  In fact, it will have the largest capacity in the Southern Hemisphere, as Maracana has an official seating capacity of 79,500, though many more squeeze in. Its official capacity (standing included) is 103,500, however you could get more than 3,500 standing in the MCG...

We don't tend to go a bundle on multi-use stadiums in the UK for some reason. Each sport tends to selfishly guard its own stadiums....thats why the FA ambushed the plans for Wembley and effectively finished it as a realsitic venue for athletics....they beleived it would result in too many compromises over sight-lines etc.

Just wondering, has Twickenham ever staged a football match? It has a good capacity for international fixtures (72,500- 75,000).

Wembley and Old Trafford have staged rugby matches.......

I know that Twickenham was seriously considered for the FA Cup Finals instead of Cardiff. It's plus point, like Cardiff's, was that it was a neutral stadium - but they decided to go to Cardiff instead.

• 4 weeks later...

AARRGGGHHHHH, i cant figure out how to post images on here yet, but i was looking through the wembly website and by the looks of things it would appear that they are getting things ready to lift the arch into place now.

From a few of the webcam shots, you get a pretty clear view of the arch and cranes with the lines all attatched, things are certainly progressing here..... this is how you build a stadium Athens......lol :laughlong:

AARRGGGHHHHH, i cant figure out how to post images on here yet, but i was looking through the wembly website and by the looks of things it would appear that they are getting things ready to lift the arch into place now.

From a few of the webcam shots, you get a pretty clear view of the arch and cranes with the lines all attatched, things are certainly progressing here..... this is how you build a stadium Athens......lol :laughlong:

The arch is now going to be lifted in the spring, rather than later this month as originally proposed. This is because of some extra work that needs doing to make sure it passes all the quality checks.

Still well ahead of schedule, though. It wasn't originally due to be erected until late summer.

Archived