New Wembley Stadium

mr.x

1792039778_069a4c4b89_o.jpg

Looks like the front rows won't be used. I'm guessing the views for a sport like American football wouldn't be too good from there. This also shows how very different the pitch dimensions are from our football (which is the point I was making a while ago in the World Cup 2018 thread.)

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1792039778_069a4c4b89_o.jpg

Looks like the front rows won't be used. I'm guessing the views for a sport like American football wouldn't be too good from there. This also shows how very different the pitch dimensions are from our football (which is the point I was making a while ago in the World Cup 2018 thread.)

So the NFL pitch is smaller than regulation football? (I really don't follow those small, piddly details.)

Can Wembley accommodate a regulation 400-m track?

Fair enough. Just had a look on their site:

Though designed primarily for football, rugby and music events, the new Wembley Stadium is also capable of hosting world-class athletic events.

A revolutionary solution has been developed to ensure that both football and athletics fans can enjoy perfect views, thanks to a temporary athletics platform that can be installed when necessary.

If Wembley is required to host a major athletics event, the prefabricated platform can be built over the lower bowl, covering some of the seats but creating the increased surface needed to fit an athletics track. The platform will take just a few weeks to install

I'm about to watch the highlights on the BBC. I've never watched American football before in my life and don't know how it works so won't have a clue what's going on, but hey, there's a first time for everything.

I quite enjoy American Football _ if it's a highlights tape with all the time-outs deleted. It's much easier to see the game's ebbs and flows and strategies that way.

Didn't have a clue what was going on unfortunately. And the breaks in play were very strange; but I suppose that's something you get with all American sports and it's just something I'm not used to.

The famous Wembley pitch - sorry "field" - is now a complete mess and our head groundsman has quite a job to get it back to the way it should be, lol!

1797979519_ddaa83439e_b.jpg

I quite enjoy American Football _ if it's a highlights tape with all the time-outs deleted. It's much easier to see the game's ebbs and flows and strategies that way.

The games is like advanced rugby game. But the game is meant for the strong not necessarily the skilful.

It is just a highly technical game _ separate offense and defence teams, very detauiled mapped out plays, action that lasts for seconds in between long time-outs, lots of stats for tables and statistics lovers. Take out the time outs and it's not bad, but as a live spectacle it's far too stop start to really get enthused over.

Yes, some vague similarities to rugby, except rugby flows with continuous play (unless you have an over-earger ref)

It is just a highly technical game _ separate offense and defence teams, very detauiled mapped out plays, action that lasts for seconds in between long time-outs, lots of stats for tables and statistics lovers. Take out the time outs and it's not bad, but as a live spectacle it's far too stop start to really get enthused over.

Yes, some vague similarities to rugby, except rugby flows with continuous play (unless you have an over-earger ref)

Sir, what 's underscore ( _ ) in your sentences meant for? You use them frequently.

Sir, what 's underscore ( _ ) in your sentences meant for? You use them frequently.

LOL _ it's just force of habit. I work on a newspaper, and we use underscores to indicate a long dash, as opposed to a simple hyphen, between related sentence clauses. This comes out on our typesetting machines as a long dash. As I said, it's just such force of habit that I do it without thinking.

• 10 months later...

Wembley is set to be named as the venue for the 2011 Champions League final in a move that will end hopes of Arsenal's Emirates Stadium hosting the climax of the new UEFA Cup competition that year.

UEFA sources have confirmed they are satisfied with the Government's promise to exempt players in the final from paying tax on prize money and the Wembley decision will be rubber-stamped by the next executive committee meeting on December 16.

European football's rulers had delayed a decision specifically to wait for the tax issue to be sorted out in order to award the final to Wembley.

A senior UEFA source said: "There has always been an intention to give the Champions League final to Wembley - it was a question of when rather than if.

"Now the tax issue has been resolved it means there is no barrier to Wembley being named for 2011."

However UEFA will not give both the Champions League final and the UEFA Cup final - to be named the Europa League from next season - to stadiums in the same country so Wembley's gain is Arsenal's loss.

Dublin's Lansdowne Road is now the favourite to to be named as the UEFA Cup final venue in 2011.

England--Wembley-General_1068610.jpg

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/...FA_Wembley.html

I want to post this pic again as well :D

525503904_a7240c3129_o.jpg

• 1 year later...

he FIFA Executive Committee held today a very special meeting in Robben Island

Following the recommendation of the Olympic football working group, the Executive Committee agreed to keep the current system of limiting to under 23 players and up to three overage players the men’s Olympic football tournament of London 2012.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/r...g+robben+island

Players like Lionel Messi (pictured) and Wayne Rooney will be eligible to play at London 2012 after FIFA today decided to retain its current under-23 status at the Olympics.

A working group of the world governing body had been looking into the idea of changing the system to under-21 after the bigger Confederations expressed their desire for the change.

But the FIFA's ruling Executive Committee, meeting at Robben Island today to discuss the issue, decided to retain the current format.

Jerome Valcke, the FIFA General Secretary, said: "There were quite extensive discussions between the various confederations but it was decided to keep the current system.

But Valcke did not rule out the possibility of a change in the system - which currently limits teams to players under the age of 23 as well as three overage players - for Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php?op...d=1:latest-news

• 5 months later...

The FIFA Executive Committee held a two-day meeting in Johannesburg chaired by FIFA President Blatter on 6 and 7 June 2010.

decisions were taken by the Executive Committee...

>to approve the slot allocation for the 2012 Olympic Football Tournaments in London. For the men’s tournament, AFC will have 3.5 slots, CAF 3.5, CONCACAF 2, CONMEBOL 2, OFC 1 and UEFA 4 (including the host). For the women’s tournament, AFC will have 2 slots, CAF 2, CONCACAF 2, CONMEBOL 2, OFC 1 and UEFA 3 (including the host)

http://psl.co.za/article.asp?id=354301

• 8 months later...

European clubs aim to keep players out of Olympics

GENEVA (AP) -Some of Europe's best young football players could be kept out of the 2012 London Olympics under a proposal by their clubs.

The European Club Association wants an agreement that players who go to the 2012 European Championships co-hosted by Poland and Ukraine won't be picked for the London Games kicking off one month later.

The group fears player burnout from too much international football and is seeking support from FIFA, UEFA and national teams.

Europe will have four teams in London: a British host team and three qualifiers from the eight-nation Under-21 Euros staged in Denmark in June. Spain is favored to advance.

The 16-nation Olympic tournament has an age limit of 23, with teams allowed to pick three overage players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/olympics/wires/02/08/2080.ap.soc.european.clubs.2012.olympics.0130/

Archived