New Wembley Stadium

mr.x

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be great if they could have more iconic statues lined up in and around Wembley, or along Wembley way. Bobby Moore looks impressive there - and so he should. Hero. To be honest, I don't know how many players post '66 would deserve a statue of them being put up around Wembley anyway.

That’s what I thought when I saw the statue, It add a bit of mush needed character.

I guessed it was sarcasm or a joke, but I didn't quite get the point of it Michelle. Oh well.

Hopefully it's just a case of it needing to settle down properly over time. I dread to think that's the best it'd be. Anyhow, the second half proved it wasn't really the pitch that was to blame for the poor first half but the players.

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't heard anything from the English FA about that.

Now the match is on both websites. Hopefully it will a good friendly. Let me guess. You say England plays better against strong teams. So, i think it will be 3:1 for England. Will anybody be able to watch the match live at Wembley?

It was announced just before the Brazil game, I think. Naturally, encounters between England and Germany are rarely "friendly" and I expect this one to be no different. I'm thinking about going if I can get the time off work, otherwise I'll look to get to the last qualifier against Croatia in November.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great picture because it gives you a real sense of just how much room you have in your seat. I am 6ft 2 and I was easily comfortable in my seat. In comparison to ALL other stadiums I have sat in Wembley is far superior.

I only wish that I had been in that position when I went though. I was much lower down and to the side. It was still amazing but I think you get a real perspective of the enormity of the stadium from that position.

• 3 months later...
Wembley may soon host European showpiece

The Champions League final could be heading to London and the new Wembley as early as 2010 or 2011 after the Football Association confirmed that the national stadium had been shortlisted by Uefa.

Two other new or refurbished stadiums, Arsenal's Emirates Stadium and Dublin's Lansdowne Road, are also in contention for the UEFA Cup final.

Wembley will have to hold off stiff competition from four other venues for the right to host either match in the form of Berlin's Olympiastadion and the Allianz Arena in Munich and in Spain, Madrid's Bernabeu and the Mestalla in Valencia.

A UEFA delegation will visit Wembley before the end of this year with a decision expected in March.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick said: "We're delighted that UEFA have shortlisted Wembley for both the 2010 and 2011 finals.

"It is recognition of Wembley's place among the very best football stadiums in the world, as well as its unique tradition and history.

"It is a stadium for the big games and one that will surely inspire the continent's finest players."

Wembley last hosted the European final in 1992 when Barcelona won their first European Cup, courtesy of Ronald Koeman's extra-time free-kick.

The Champions League finals in 2008 and 2009 will be held at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow and the Stadio Olimpico in Rome respectively.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...nwembley123.xml

ufnwembley123.jpg

Good Experiment for the NFL to try and spread the other "football" around the world. After the failure of NFL Europe, we will see a lot more games like this in Europe in the years to come. And oh, I feel bad for anyone who paid money for the game, as it wont even be close - the Giants are gonna slaughter the Dolphins in the most inhumane way possible, as my Dolphins have yet to win a game this year (0-7, with 9 games to go, I dont even think we'll win a game next year........), and the Giants are doing pretty well.

I know we've discussed this before elsewhere, but I really don't understand why they decided to shut NFL Europe before having today's contest at Wembley. Surely a game like this would have been just the shot in the arm the NFL this side of the Atlantic needed.

Archived