Jump to content

AFCON 2013: Libya


Recommended Posts

SA could host 2013 Afcon

5657118104_a717212b7c_z.jpg

Posted: 2011-05-03 14:43

South Africa's chances of being called upon to act as an emergency host for the 2013 African Nations Cup have been given a major boost by the successful hosting of the African Youth Championship in Soweto over the last two weeks.

Confederation of African Football officials said there was an increasing likelihood South Africa might be asked to step in again to replace Libya as they did for the Under-20 event.

Libya's hosting of the 2013 Nations Cup is under threat because of the civil war in the North African country which is battering the country's infrastructure.

The next Nations Cup will be co-hosted by Equatorial Guinea and Gabon next year but after that it will switch from every even year to every odd year.

Libya host the 2013 event, followed by Morocco in 2015 and South Africa in 2017.

CAF executive committee member Almamy Kabele Camara said there would be no immediate decision on future of the 2013 Nations Cup in Libya but his organisation would continue to monitor the situation.

They would need to make a decision at least by January leaving just a year to prepare. If they delay it any longer, then South Africa's chances increase as the country is the only one that can offer ready-made facilities.

This is a legacy of last year's hosting of the World Cup and would make it relatively simple for South Africa to host the 16-team, three-week event.

African Youth Championship tournament director Russell Paul had just two weeks to prepare the event at the Dobsonville Stadium and has been roundly praised for the job he did almost single handedly.

South Africa organised the 1996 Nations Cup after just 11 months' notice after Kenya pulled out of the hosting of the event. Bafana Bafana went on to win the title on home soil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As above.

They would need to make a decision at least by January leaving just a year to prepare. If they delay it any longer, then South Africa's chances increase as the country is the only one that can offer ready-made facilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anything, South Africa should be give the rights to host. I believe Libya was behind schedule before the civil war. However, Nigeria was put as the standby host, in case one of the nations in either 2010/2012/2013 were not able to host the event. Another thing they can always do is cancel the 2013 edition, because the qualification is being rushed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Caf take Afcon away from Libya

13 June 2011, 22:56

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has decided to move the 2013 African Cup of Nations in Libya due to security reasons, following the recent uprisings against Muammar Gaddafi.

“Caf have decided to move the tournament to another country because of the current instability in Libya,” an anonymous Caf official told CNN on Monday.

“South Africa have asked officially to host the tournament. Also, Egypt and other countries are interested in the matter. We will make our final decision before announcing the tournament’s qualification draw next September,” he added.

Caf recently moved the 2011 African Youth Championship, which was scheduled to be played in Libya, to South Africa for the same reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...