London Olympic Stadium

Brekkie Boy

Back on topic .... a news story from the BBC on the London Olympic Stadium

London Marathon in Games pledge  

London Marathon organisers have promised to invest £3m over 10 years to ensure there is life after 2012 for the capital's Olympic Stadium.

The Lea Valley arena will be built if London wins the Games, but critics have voiced concern about its long-term use.

The London Marathon Trust has agreed to contribute £300,000 a year to guarantee the stadium would continue to be used for international athletics.

Bid chairman Sebastian Coe welcomed the pledge calling it "fantastic" news.

"We are very grateful for the support of the London Marathon," he added.

"And this is what winning an Olympic bid is all about - putting in place a lasting legacy and much-needed infrastructure, both for the local community and for our elite athletes."

John Disley, co-founder of the London Marathon, sees the planned funding as an ongoing investment in British sport.

"The Trust is extremely excited to be able to make a significant contribution to sporting facilities in London and the UK," he said.

"They will provide a focus for sporting excellence and will be managed for Londoners so that athletes striving for international success can inspire grass-roots participation."

As part of the post-2012 deal, it has been agreed that the stadium would be run by a not-for-profit organisation prepared to make the facilities available to the public.

The Olympic stadium would also have to retain a running track capable of hosting international events.

A 10-metre statue of an athlete representing British pride and honour will be erected in Trafalgar Square on Saturday 19 February as part of London's bid for the 2012 Games.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news, but I would still like two things to happen regarding the stadium:

1. London give a guarantee a stadium will be built on the site whether we get 2012 or not.

2. The stadium is designed in such a way that it can host sports other than athletics comfortably, particularly football and rugby.

I am with you on this one Arwebb, if they decided to build the stadium regardless of 2012 we would have a venue that is badly needed in London for athletics events and it would also be a bonus point with the IOC that Britain is committed to building world class venues whether we get the games or not, that shows the true passion for sport that British people have.

• 4 months later...
With the Olympic Stadium set to be downsized after the Games, does anyone think this will start a trend of building large stadiums for track and field and the ceremonies and then downsizing them later?  It seems as though this would be a cheaper option rather than building a brand new stadium with 80,000-100,000+ in permanent seating.  And I know that Atlanta and Sydney both downsized their stadiums after the Olympics, but London is talking about going from a stadium with 80,000 down to 20-30,000.  So does anyone think that will become a trend?

It could be and I think it does make both economic and practical sense to downsize a stadium dedicated to track 'n' field events that won't get anywhere near the same attendance or coverage that a 80,000+ stadium would during the Olympics.  Also we have quite a few big Stadiums in London, Wembley, Twickenham, not to mention the likes of Arsenal's new ground and Spurs.

I think the downgrade of the Main Olympic Stadium will ensure it wont' become a white elephant.

I think it will depend on the future, post-Games use of the Stadium.  Toronto 2008 proposed a very similar plan to London 2012 in its bid.  NYC 2012 proposed a new post-Games life along the lines of the Atlanta 1996 Stadium in their bid.  Athens utilized an existing facility.  Beijing is building a new national stadium.  I'd call it less of a trend and more of a legacy plan that depends on the needs of each city.

London has the New Wembley Stadium.  It doesn't really need a new monster athletics stadium sitting almost empty for most of the year.  So this worked for their bid.

Archived