London Olympic Stadium

Brekkie Boy

it actually looks better than first thought, still better than the Beijing Olympic Stadium. this stadium has a some similarities with the Munich Olympic Stadium.

my rating of the Olympic Stadium: 7.5/10

my rating of the Olympic Park: 9/10

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first impression is Munich meets Montreal with a bit of Beijing and Athens thrown in for good measure.  London - the Olympic melting pot.

Exactly what I thought.  And kudos to London for thinking beyond the overdone arch themed stadium.

Not my cup of tea personally but at least it's different.

im still thinking its ugly...

white elephant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:............... :sleepy:

Not white elephant… half arse yes… But it still ranks up there in my top couple… I think it lacks some of the basics though…. Going by the design renders, it doesn’t look like it will provide adequate shade or cover… Isn’t this the whole idea of stadiums rooves?

there's nowt as queer as folk - so the saying goes!

some of you are talking absolute arse here! the whole olympic park concept has been developed so that there is a games layout and post games layout - specifically so THAT THERE ARE NO WHITE ELEPHANTS!

the stadiums post games will be down-sized - for example hocky - fencing - and the other indoor arenas.

the whole complex has been designed so that it will fit in with natural contours of the river lea (which will be allowed to revert to its normal floodplain).

the architects are the foriegn office and are one of the best practices in the world today! (visit their website for other projects) their vision is that the olympic village and the olympic park all form one organic whole for the atheletes - so that they are inspired every moment of their stay in london.

perhaps we should build a toilet seat stadium that we see all over the world?

and if we are to win the games this complex will be built - needless to say there will probably be tweaks to the main stadia - witness sydney and beijing!

all in all i think the complex is a tour de force and in terms of facilities puts it ahead opf the rest of the field - however we know that this counts for nothing in the final bid!

see you in london in 2012!

rendez-vous a londres en 2012!

For me it looks horrible, is horrible, horrible stadium, and i think that it will convert into a very big white elephant.

For me the idea of a very modern and risky olympic stadium like this remember the idea of "this venue will have problems to be finished".

Either those wings looks horrible!!..

..a question:...what is know in the zone that they are planing tu build the olympic complex??

They are not wings there muscles and the site is a brown field site one of the last remaining in London. It used to be railway land owned by the old British Rail. Eurostar brought it along with other land when they got the go ahead to build the high-speed link to Paris. It's mostly derelict although some businesses that use one corner of it will have to be compulsory purchased.

The whole thing will sit in a new park that runs all the way from Stratford to the Thames and is part of the lee valley area. A system of parks, lakes and waterways that run all the way to Essex.

Stratford itself is a run down area that has been steadily rebuilt and revamped over the past decade and continues today. There are developments recently built and going up today that don't look too dissimilar to the Olympic village.

It is more then likely that if London does not get the games. Much of what you see in the proposed plans will be built anyway as the area is due for redevelopment. They have already said that they are to build the pool and new housing even if the bid fails .

As the proposed Olympic village will not look out of place they will probably adapt or even keep the design on paper.

The only things likely not be built is the stadium, media centre and other more temporary sporting structures such as the baseball courts.

These areas will probably become office blocks as they have been talking about a second canary wharf type development but I would much rather see a stadium.

London for its size is bereft of good athletics stadium, with only crystal palace on the other side of London, of any note this is also being redeveloped.

So I think that far from being a white elephant it will truly become a top notch facility for the future and used by every one from local schools to international grand prix events.

Not white elephant… half arse yes… But it still ranks up there in my top couple… I think it lacks some of the basics though…. Going by the design renders, it doesn’t look like it will provide adequate shade or cover… Isn’t this the whole idea of stadiums rooves?

so are we to assume that you are qualified architect? enlighten us some more please??!!!??? :rock:

so are we to assume that you are qualified architect? enlighten us some more please??!!!??? :rock:

Huh? What did I say.. I never criticized the stadium…. If you read my other posts (in some other sections) I think you’ll find I actually like it…

If your going to go around telling people to “enlighten” you, when they support what you believe in, your not going to get very far.

Why not build the Olympic complex on the site where William Wallace (BRAVEHEART) was quartered, disemboweled and killed -- so that he can haunt the new stadium?  

:)

I always wondered why the Olympic cauldron in Atlanta did not resemble a burning cross....that would have added some historical/cultural cache to the event.... perhaps they could have had a tree in the middle of the atheletes like they did in Athens, with a few black corpses swiniging from it to...harking back to the "good" old lynching days in the southern US  ???

My first thought was at least it's something different. At least they've tried to produce a stadium with a theme, and a specific concept- human muscles.

It's much better than the stadium which was drawn on the previous images of london's 2012 olympic park, which i though was quite ugly.

In comparison Madrid's 2012 stadium is too plain, and I hope that for future bids (if madrid dosen't win 2012), they will come up with a more adventurous and appealing design. St Denis is Paris again dosen't have the appeal of past olympic stadia, such as those in Munich, Montreal, and of course the 2008 future stadium for Beijing.

Why not build the Olympic complex on the site where William Wallace (BRAVEHEART) was quartered, disemboweled and killed -- so that he can haunt the new stadium?  

:)

I always wondered why the Olympic cauldron in Atlanta did not resemble a burning cross....that would have added some historical/cultural cache to the event.... perhaps they could have had a tree in the middle of the atheletes like they did in Athens, with a few black corpses swiniging from it to...harking back to the "good" old lynching days in the southern US  ???

Hey, it was that Iranian-American sculptor, Siah Armajani, who designed that McD's French fries holder-cauldron; not a true Southerner.  

BTW, is this spot for the 2012 OAKL the same spot where the burned the forest for GLADIATOR?  (I just like those movie connections -- gives it more perspective for me.)

and if we are to win the games this complex will be built - needless to say there will probably be tweaks to the main stadia - witness sydney and beijing!

Not exactly a good example. Those two cities changed their stadium plans from bid to reality.

I really like this concept - i think its the best out of the bids ......so far...... i love the water running through the park and the organic theme.

The stadium looks fantastic from the inside (the wings could cover more of the surface though) but i dont know about the outside - looks to me like Allianz Arena only less plastic - like. And i agree with what was previously said - how can they downsize it with the size of that roof, plus if your going to alter the stadium you soughta need no roof over that part of the stadium (like Sydney or Manchester) otherwise you'll have to pull the whole thing down.

I really like this concept - i think its the best out of the bids ......so far...... i love the water running through the park and the organic theme.

The stadium looks fantastic from the inside (the wings could cover more of the surface though) but i dont know about the outside - looks to me like Allianz Arena only less plastic - like. And i agree with what was previously said - how can they downsize it with the size of that roof, plus if your going to alter the stadium you soughta need no roof over that part of the stadium (like Sydney or Manchester) otherwise you'll have to pull the whole thing down.

The roof can be removed and used elsewhere if necessary. I believe in Sydney they ended up actually demolishing the end stands...as they did in Atlanta. The amont of demolition in the London Olympic stadium would probably be more limited since it will remain as an athletics venue and won't need to be reconfigured for football or rugby. Wembly and Twickenham will continue to be the national football and rugby stadiums, for England. This stadium will in effect become the English national athletics stadium...to replace Crystal Palace.

The roof can be removed and used elsewhere if necessary. I believe in Sydney they ended up actually demolishing the end stands...as they did in Atlanta. The amont of demolition in the London Olympic stadium would probably be more limited since it will remain as an athletics venue and won't need to be reconfigured for football or rugby. Wembly and Twickenham will continue to be the national football and rugby stadiums, for England. This stadium will in effect become the English national athletics stadium...to replace Crystal Palace.

Was redeveloping of Crystal Palace considered?

Lets not forget that this is a concept only.  The plans show the layout of the venue's only and not finished designs.  On that score I think the plans look really good.

In some of the press reports I have seen it states that the details of the roof and stadium are left deliberalty vague as they would be subject to the usual architectural competition.

I think the stadium looks okay - although I still struggle to see how they are going to build an astheitcally pleasing covered stadium that will be convertable to one with a capacity of 30,000 without spending a LOT of money.

Was redeveloping of Crystal Palace considered?

No...I think they have been trying to demolish crystal palace for sometime...its a relic of the 1960's. Crystal Palace is also reltively poorly served by piblic transport compared to Stratford. There's a suburban rail line to it, but no tube or Euro star service....Straford is the new "great hope" for east London and is one of the most accessible places in London by public transport....if not the whole of Europe.

Crystal palace is due for redevelopment but not to the state an Olympic stadium would need to be. Plus with poorer transport links and nowhere to build the village or other venues it will not be suitable to host the games.

On the other hand, despite myse3lf being a big supporter of London 2012 Stratford at night is not a nice place to be. Let's hope that crime is looked at in the plans. Lots of gangs hanging around the station at night and not a pleasing place to be. It looks very nice with the lovely bus terminus and the new station but crime has always been a problem in Stratford. It's not the worst place in London, far from it, but I would not consider walking through Stratford Centre at night.

On a different subject but very much linked to this, I would like to say that a very close friend of mine died on Sunday night in the grounds of University of East London Barking Campus.

Chris Yates was the nicest guy you are ever likely to meet and he was brutally kicked to death for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was probably the kindest person I have ever met and I am proud to have known him. God bless Chris.

I am sorry for that guys but I just wanted to do that.

All though I did not know your friend my deepest condolences go out to his friends and family.

Unlike you I would and do walk around Stratford at night. I agree crime can be a problem, but that is so no matter where you live.

I personally have been mugged once, attempted mugged twice and my wife was mugged on our own doorstep. None of these events took place in Stratford but other parts of the city. Many years ago I worked on London transport and had more then one violent incident on the buses.

In spite of this crime rates are actually getting better and the gang problem in Stratford is generally under control but I agree more could be done.

I do feel however that no matter what city won the bid, crime could be a problem?

The more and more information that comes out of London the more I like it! I really cant say what bid I like the most now, London, New York or Paris.

I will say the OS is kind of wierd and what is with some of the buildings being part of the ground, like the velodrome, it looks like a hobbit athletic thing or something?

Very pleased to see this news. Crystal Palace is a venue I've grown up with and I am delighted that it will not die.

However, assuming London gets the Games and the legacy plans for the Olympic Stadium remain as they are, we're left with two 25-30,000 capacity athletics stadia. Seems illogical to me.

Archived