Who will win the hosting rights for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

It's the only major international games they get to compete in under their own flag. Fair enough they get a vote.

Then you might as well allow the Australian states to compete seperatly...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then ypu might as well allow the Australian states to compete seperatly...

I would have thought most would consider Oz the tall poppies of the CWGs anyway. Much less give us more voting power.

At least every team that competes gets one vote - that's far more democratic in many respects than the IOC, where some countries have no votes, and others have multiple members.

I would have thought most would consider Oz the tall poppies of the CWGs anyway. Much less give us more voting power.

At least every team that competes gets one vote - that's far more democratic in many respects than the IOC, where some countries have no votes, and others have multiple members.

Then that just proves my point on these 'so called' mini states within the UK outside the three recognised countries that make up the union. - Australia could be Bloc voted down by the Channel Islands and the Isle of Mann hypothetically? Is that fair!

Then that just proves my point on these 'so called' mini states within the UK outside the three recognised countries that make up the union. - Australia could be Bloc voted down by the Channel Islands and the Isle of Mann hypothetically? Is that fair!

Why not? It's as fair as any hypothetical IOC "voting bloc"

Anyway, I seem to remember being lectured often in the 2014 race that the "developing" Commonwealth of every flea bitten former island colony in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans with all the African and Asian voters held the majority numbers and would always beat the old masters.

When the likes of Cook Islands and Norfolk Island get votes, we're not doing too badly ourselves.

No system is perfect. Don't give these nations votes and you lose the very pure concept of one vote per competing team. Why should the Jersey team not have a say in where they're sending their athletes?

On the other hand, FIFA's example shows us that a very corrupt regime can be easily sustained with support from many smaller nations (whose votes are bought). They simply outvote the important footballing nations simply because they outnumber them. Within FIFA, the one-vote per federation leads to a spiral of decline and corruption.

In the case of the CWGF, I'd tend towards not getting rid of the one vote per team concpet because I don't think there's any evidence of it being particularly problematic. If it becomes so, then perhaps look at changing it. Besides which, I doubt Australia would be too worried about Jersey etc in voting. It sounds to me as though Australia's bid could well be the benifiary of this system if the UK votes, as expected, go to the Gold Coast.

With one month to go, before we all know whether Sri Lanka hosts its first one or Australia hosts a record fifth Commonwealth Games, it will be interesting on how those CGF delegates vote for their choice.

...or Australia hosts a record fifth Commonwealth Games...

Get use to it!...Apart from South Africa wanting 2022, the CWGs will swing back and forth between Australia and the UK on a regular basis in future.

• 4 weeks later...

First bookie's market I've seen on 2018:

Bookies make Gold Coast favourites but Australians fear Hambantota

November 8 - Australian bookmakers have emphatically backed the Gold Coast bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games despite the fact that there appears to be an increasing chance that their only rivals Hambantota could pull off a shock victory.

The highly renowned Australian bookmakers Sportsbet has offered odds for the Gold Coast at $1.50 (£0.93) and Hambantota at $2.50 (£1.55) for the vote at the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) General Assembly here on Friday (November 11).

''It's really just a judgment call,'' said Sportsbet spokesman Haydn Lane.

"We've been right through all the news articles and we're probably a little bit biased

''But, with respect to the Hambantota, we think the Gold Coast has a far better set-up and therefore are deserved favourites.''

TAB Sportsbet spokesman Glen Munsie added that the Gold Coast were overwhelming favourites at $1.30 (£0.81) with Hambantota trailing at $3.40 (£2.11).

He said his organisation was unable to offer this bet type under the terms of their licence in New South Wales and Victoria but that it provided the indicative market for promotional purposes.

''Political instability combined with the organisational problems that plagued the last time a Commonwealth Games was held in an Asian city [Delhi 2010] means the Sri Lankan delegates will have a tough task to convince Commonwealth Games organiser to go with them,'' he said.

But despite the confidence of Australian bookmakers, the Australian Commonwealth Games Association chief executive Perry Crosswhite, who travelled with the Gold Coast 2018 bid team here, admitted that the chance of the Games improving the struggling nation could be a major strength.

"They are really two contrasting bids," he said.

insidethegames

Looks like both sides are claiming the numbers at the moment:

Sri Lanka boasting of Games bid win

SRI Lankan Central Bank Governor Ajith Nivard Cabraal is boasting that Hambantota already has the 2018 Commonwealth Games in the bag.

Mr Cabraal today told journalists in the Caribbean that the Hambantota bid team, of which he is co-chair, had done the numbers and was confident of winning.

"We are cautiously optimistic," he said.

"You could interpret that as a confident position.

"It would be naive to say that we did not do a number count."

The Hambantota and Gold Coast bid teams are in St Kitts for a last minute lobbying effort this week, with the vote for the Commonwealth Games scheduled for about 8am on Saturday morning (Queensland time).

Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games bid boss Mark Stockwell was much more cautious in his prediction about the result.

"I am feeling it could be quite close," he said.

"My sense is that we are in a fair dinkum battle."

Mr Stockwell said he had laid awake at night trying to work out which way the vote would go in the lead up to the decision.

It is believed the Gold Coast bid team also thinks it has the numbers to win the Commonwealth Games.

If the vote goes down to the wire, retiring Commonwealth Games Federation president Mike Fennell could be given the casting vote.

Only 70 voting delegates are attending the conference since the representative from Ghana did not turn up to the conference today because of a national election in the African country.

Commonwealth Games Federation CEO Mike Hooper was pressed yesterday about the reliability of the electronic voting system, which will be used tomorrow for the first time to decide the winner of the 2018 bid.

Mr Hooper said delegates had today been instructed about how to use the wireless keyboards and told they needed to press 4 if they were backing the Gold Coast, or 9 if they were supporting Sri Lanka.

He said Commonwealth Games Federation officials were confident the technology would work well and the Gold Coast and Hambantota bid teams had also approved the method.

GCB

Maybe this is a typo but,

"Griffith University research fellow Dr Ashutosh Misra says Hambantota has struggled too, with delegates keeping a close eye on the volatile region.

"There is a risk for security but I think it's not as huge as it used to be five years ago when the war was on," Dr Misra said.

Dr Misra thinks Oceania, Africa, Asia and Europe will vote for the Sri Lankan city, with only the Americas and Caribbean delegates voting independently."

God forbid.

My link

Dr Misra thinks Oceania, Africa, Asia and Europe will vote for the Sri Lankan city, with only the Americas and Caribbean delegates voting independently."

I saw that. Considering Oceania has already said they'd be voting as a bloc for the GC, I think it's wishful thinking - at best - on his part.

I hope most of the SL forecasts are the same wishful thinking.

I saw that. Considering Oceania has already said they'd be voting as a bloc for the GC, I think it's wishful thinking - at best - on his part.

I hope most of the SL forecasts are the same wishful thinking.

The Gold Coast is presenting last which will sway votes for sure.

Little over 3 hours to go...Nervious, anyone? :P

...Got your signing off pens ready Gold Coast? ;)

Surprisingly no mention of it has been made in any of this evening's news on both majors. Sky News Australia gave an ever so brief mention a few minutes ago in Sports news, focussing more on lard arse golfer John Daily's hissy fit spat walk out at the open yesterday.

Anyway, I suppose it's prediction time.

I'm not so cocky now after I was burned badly in my predictions for the FIFA WC 2018-22 votes.

Logic tells me it should be GC's bar the shouting ...

But I dunno. Hambantota seems have had the momentum - or at least been making the most noise - in the marketing and coverage for a while now. It shouldn't be close, but I think it will be.

Gold Coast 38

Hambantota 33

Little over 3 hours to go...Nervious, anyone? :P

...Got your signing off pens ready Gold Coast? ;)

Surprisingly no mention of it has been made in any of this evening's news on both majors. Sky News Australia gave an ever so brief mention a few minutes ago in Sports news, focussing more on lard arse golfer John Daily's hissy fit spat walk out at the open yesterday.

Actually its 17 hours.

Archived