Who will win the hosting rights for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would prefer that Gold Coast win the bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. I'm really disappointed in Hambantota's proposal not to stage any events besides ceremonies in their international cricket stadium. (An archery field will be built beside that stadium.) Though what I'm not disappointed in is the fact that all the venues will be built even if Huambantota's bid is unsuccessful (which I predict that it will be).

The bidding process has always been dull, 2018 will go to gold coast based on being safe bet after delhi, 2022 will go to south africa, so not many, if any other cities will bid, 2026 will be uk or canada

I would prefer that Gold Coast win the bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. I'm really disappointed in Hambantota's proposal not to stage any events besides ceremonies in their international cricket stadium. (An archery field will be built beside that stadium.) Though what I'm not disappointed in is the fact that all the venues will be built even if Huambantota's bid is unsuccessful (which I predict that it will be).

Actually archery will be held in the stadium and all venues will be built except the velodrome if the bid is unsuccessful. One also has to consider two senior members of the Hambantota bid have said they have "30 votes secure".

Anyways my guesses:

2018:Gold Coast, Australia

2022:Cape Town, South Africa

2026:Birmingham, England

2030:Hamilton, Canada

Actually archery will be held in the stadium and all venues will be built except the velodrome if the bid is unsuccessful. One also has to consider two senior members of the Hambantota bid have said they have "30 votes secure".

I'll be surprised if they break double figures.

2022:Cape Town, South Africa

I think it's going to be Durban. CapeTown is only gunning for the 2017 World Games. Durban has the track stadium and we imagine, 2024 in its cross-hairs; therefore the point of shooting for the CWG is to get some venues charged to the CWG budget, and then move on from there.

Yeah, I think GC 2018 and Durban 2022 are pretty well as good as locked in.

Yeah, nailed it...Sad really, have to admit NZ pulling out when it did was a blessing...we really are broke for spending on stuff like this for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Abd back to Britain and I think London is the next realistic option considering the need to find something to do with all the Olympic venues, so either 2026 or more likely 2030 for the 100th anniversary (though the games began in Canada of course). Cardiff have considered it too, so wouldn't be surprised if they bid in the not too distant future.

Hambatonta bid is not bad, they have some interesting plans on it. Sadly, the trainwreck that was Delhi 2010 is going to negatively affect them highly. I predict the CWGO will rather go for a safest choice this time and pick Gold Coast.

I'm of the opinion that South Africa announcing its intention to be bid for 2022 has all but killed off Hambantota's already slim chances.

I think the CWGF will be rubbing their hands. Pick a safe host for 2018 to build on Glasgow's lead - thereby ensuring the Games remain on-track for second edition after the shambles of Delhi, then go to a new frontier for 2022. And the icing on the cake? The new frontier for 2022 is a nation that has already proven it can host huge international sporting events.

As long as South Africa doesn't do to the CWGF what it's just done to the IOC (raising hopes then deciding not to bid), I think Australia and South Africa will be the two that are chosen.

haha. grow up people. whats wrong with you guys? Hambantota 2018 is presenting one of the best bids CWGF has ever seen ''Hooper said the master plan concept for the Games Village and sporting venues proposed by Hambantota had "never been seen before. People will be able to walk to all venues". and you people are talking sH++

some peoples attitudes are pathetic Whats A safe option or a safe bet? give the definition please.

hambantota-game-city-master-plan_big_v2.jpg

haha. grow up people. whats wrong with you guys? Hambantota 2018 is presenting one of the best bids CWGF has ever seen ''Hooper said the master plan concept for the Games Village and sporting venues proposed by Hambantota had "never been seen before. People will be able to walk to all venues". and you people are talking sH++

some peoples attitudes are pathetic Whats A safe option or a safe bet? give the definition please.

hambantota-game-city-master-plan_big_v2.jpg

update- now a someone give -REp, We call it post-colonial practices

Let's get onto some facts rather than indulging in ridiculous phrases like "post-colonial practices". :rolleyes:

India just tried to present the biggest CWG ever in terms of venues, construction etc and they missed the mark. Things were too big, too expesnive, over-ambitious, corruption crept in, they only just got things ready. There seems to be something of a feeling that even greater giganticism is not the direction the CWG should be heading towards.

Now we have a even more ambitious plan from Sri Lanka, and no doubt question marks over deliverability given that we're not just talking about new venues but new roads, airports, sea ports etc - an entirely new city, in fact. The CWGF has to trust Sri Lanka to deliver on all this in a short seven years. It's a huge ask even for a confident international body coming off the back of a successful event (as FIFA were off the back of South Africa when they chose Qatar). For an international body reeling from a very near catastrophe, you're asking a huge amount.

Nice looking stuff on paper, but I suspect there will be a lot of nervousness about giving the go ahead to a bid like this straight after Delhi. I just can't see it.

@ RobH you raise an interesting point. It also raises the possibility that Sri Lanka/India/Bangladesh/Pakistan trade votes with African members.

Are you suggesting that the Asian and African countries would do something unscrupulous like trade votes shame on you they would never do that except to get the games to KL in 98 and to Delhi 10.

Sri Lanka have great panes on paper and they could still be just on paper 3 weeks before the games no sane person would give the games to Sri Lanka

@Hobart Those were the only two games in Asia :lol: so its possible, but a long shot. In 2022 Cape town will likely face a couple of European bids so it needs help and Sri Lanka can probably pounce on that.

@GameSl get you head out of your rear end and stop being delusional.

"haha. grow up people. whats wrong with you guys? Hambantota 2018 is presenting one of the best bids CWGF has ever seen ''Hooper said the master plan concept for the Games Village and sporting venues proposed by Hambantota had "never been seen before. People will be able to walk to all venues". and you people are talking sH++"

How many of the venues are built? 0 (the cricket stadium needs to double in size so it counts as not built). They had huge delays in building the cricket stadium and I believe some of the designs were cancelled. Secondly, when countries like Brazil and Russia are struggling to build up the for the World Cup/ Olympics (which have the same amount of venues proposed, Sochi) why on earth would people award the games the Hambantota. On the other this bid doesn't even know English as well that is a huge problem (visit the south asian games website and the spell the Maldives wrong).

Whats A safe option or a safe bet? give the definition please.

A safe bet is something that is assured to happen and there are hardly any risks.

Let's get onto some facts rather than indulging in ridiculous phrases like "post-colonial practices". :rolleyes:

if you are the one who gave me the - rep you can keep that tag. :rolleyes: ok now lets talk about the myths you have.

India just tried to present the biggest CWG ever in terms of venues, construction etc and they missed the mark. Things were too big, too expesnive, over-ambitious, corruption crept in, they only just got things ready. There seems to be something of a feeling that even greater giganticism is not the direction the CWG should be heading towards.

oh the Delhi song again. What happened to delhi the success-failure story cannot be explained briefly.sorry but i have no time to waste. just enjoy this video

Now we have a even more ambitious plan from Sri Lanka, and no doubt question marks over deliverability given that we're not just talking about new venues but new roads, airports, sea ports etc - an entirely new city, in fact. The CWGF has to trust Sri Lanka to deliver on all this in a short seven years. It's a huge ask even for a confident international body coming off the back of a successful event (as FIFA were off the back of South Africa when they chose Qatar). For an international body reeling from a very near catastrophe, you're asking a huge amount.

Nice looking stuff on paper, but I suspect there will be a lot of nervousness about giving the go ahead to a bid like this straight after Delhi. I just can't see it.

hambantota 2018 all stadiums and stuff will be build for the requirements.nothing over that. All new roads and highways are been build now. the airport is to be completed in 2012 October. all phases of the hambantota port will end in 2020 something like that but by 2018 plenty of cruise ships could be accommodated.rail roads will also be completed.

things are already happening in hambantota http://www.hambantota2018.com/media-documents :)

How many of the venues are built? 0 (the cricket stadium needs to double in size so it counts as not built). They had huge delays in building the cricket stadium and I believe some of the designs were cancelled. Secondly, when countries like Brazil and Russia are struggling to build up the for the World Cup/ Olympics (which have the same amount of venues proposed, Sochi) why on earth would people award the games the Hambantota. On the other this bid doesn't even know English as well that is a huge problem (visit the south asian games website and the spell the Maldives wrong).

Their is land you have to build build that's all. no population to clear no traffic no protest.they say Brazil don't have airport transportation. but hambantota are building them now for 2018. looks closer and harder and you will not find errors. Maldives

A safe bet is something that is assured to happen and there are hardly any risks.

That is just ridiculous.now you are talking like the BCCI(Board of Control for Cricket in India) they say the similar things regarding the UDRS(google it),etc. But all other less wealthy cricketing nations cannot talk against BCCI decision because of their power.

Their is land you have to build build that's all. no population to clear no traffic no protest.they say Brazil don't have airport transportation. but hambantota are building them now for 2018. looks closer and harder and you will not find errors. Maldives

That is just ridiculous.now you are talking like the BCCI(Board of Control for Cricket in India) they say the similar things regarding the UDRS(google it),etc. But all other less wealthy cricketing nations cannot talk against BCCI decision because of their power.

Why did Sri Lanka's cricket association go bankrupt? For building and renovating stadiums for a cost of $30 million. They are proposing a budget of $6 billion! which will no doubt be much higher in 2018. Sri Lanka's GDP is $50 billion so they propose spending more then 10% on a 10 day festival, when they can't still re settle the Tamil people in the north. Arguably the most stupid decision to bid ever.

Why did Sri Lanka's cricket association go bankrupt? For building and renovating stadiums for a cost of $30 million. They are proposing a budget of $6 billion! which will no doubt be much higher in 2018. Sri Lanka's GDP is $50 billion so they propose spending more then 10% on a 10 day festival, when they can't still re settle the Tamil people in the north. Arguably the most stupid decision to bid ever.

Asked SLC how did it go ''bankrupt'' why are you asking me.many private partners are already working with the bid and more to come after sri lanka wins the bid

idiot cant you understand 1.23 million land mines should be cleared to resettle people. you want to kill people,make them disable?

Asked SLC how did it go ''bankrupt'' why are you asking me.many private partners are already working with the bid and more to come after sri lanka wins the bid

idiot cant you understand 1.23 million land mines should be cleared to resettle people. you want to kill people,make them disable?

Your are the fkin idiot for not understanding that they are bankrupt. Sure it takes more then two years to clear landmines when the largest port in South Asia can be built in less time. You can't count time so you are the true idiot! Go to school and get an education.

Archived