NBC Retains Olympic rights through 2020

Tom Hammond, Ato Boldon, and Lewis Johnson are in Daegu. We'll see them on NBC's coverage this weekend and on Universal Sports' afternoon coverage of the finals sessions all week. Paul Sunderland and Dwight Stones will anchor the primetime coverage from LA, which will include mostly prelim heats and field events, plus recaps of the finals from the afternoon broadcast. This coverage is unbelievable--we've never had this level of TV coverage for IAAF Worlds in the past, including not only the finals sessions but also the prelim sessions.

It also probably just reflects the TV reality that in the non-Olympic years, nobody gives a flying f*ck for those icky, sweaty sports like T&F. I am sure gymnastics and figure skating still bring in the higher TV viewers.

Scrap T&F; it's as outdated as the Modern Pentathlon.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It also probably just reflects the TV reality that in the non-Olympic years, nobody gives a flying f*ck for those icky, sweaty sports like T&F. I am sure gymnastics and figure skating still bring in the higher TV viewers.

Scrap T&F; it's as outdated as the Modern Pentathlon.

Ahh, yet another objective comment from baron. I get that there's a tongue-in-cheek aspect to these kinds of posts, but because YOU don't enjoy track & field does not put it in the same category as modern penathlon.

And since statistical analysis is clearly not 1 of your strong points as evidenced by your winter vs. summer TV ratings comparison, I'll point out to you that Saturday night's Visa Championships on NBC had few total viewers than the repeat of Law & Order that aired after it that night, and in the key 18-49 demographic just barely beat out an episode of Cops on Fox.

And since statistical analysis is clearly not 1 of your strong points as evidenced by your winter vs. summer TV ratings comparison, I'll point out to you that Saturday night's Visa Championships on NBC had few total viewers than the repeat of Law & Order that aired after it that night, and in the key 18-49 demographic just barely beat out an episode of Cops on Fox.

Excuse me. I don't watch Law & Order nor Cops, so your table doesn't count. I don't bother with that 18-49 demo. Not my kinda people. :P

Excuse me. I don't watch Law & Order nor Cops, so your table doesn't count. I don't bother with that 18-49 demo. Not my kinda people. :P

No baron, the table counts, it just doesn't count YOU. Because advertisers have decided that you're no longer important anymore. So there :P:lol:

No baron, the table counts, it just doesn't count YOU. Because advertisers have decided that you're no longer important anymore. So there

Oh, thanks a lot. But not to worry. How can a table which I haven't seen NOR recognize as valid, count? Nope. I'm still around and will be; and thank God, those stupid advertisers who fall prey to NBC's stupid ways, don't bug me. I'm fine in my demographic. :P

Oh, thanks a lot. But not to worry. How can a table which I haven't seen NOR recognize as valid, count? Nope. I'm still around and will be; and thank God, those stupid advertisers who fall prey to NBC's stupid ways, don't bug me. I'm fine in my demographic. :P

Sorry baron, I forgot that no statistic can be true unless you validate it first... TV Ratings Saturday: Was it the Gymnastics or Local NFL Preemptions?. I know it's a summer Saturday night, but still, I wouldn't exactly call those high TV numbers.

The rest of us are happy with you in your demographic too. That way when you say something completely asinine like "scrap track & field," nobody listens to you :D I know that's solely your preference and not something you actually expect to happen in reality, but is it really necessary to compare what has long been the marquee sport of the Olympics to perhaps the most outdated and unnecessary sport in the Olympics? Give it a rest and let those of us who enjoy track & field continue to enjoy it without you telling us it shouldn't be in the Olympics anymore.

NBC showing the 2011 IAAF World Championships in Athletics in a sport most Americans don't watch.

Of course they are.. they're trying to promote a sport that they're going to be showing a lot of for a week in primetime next summer. That's why NBC and not ESPN is covering this. Besides, what else would they be showing on a weekend afternoon? Not much else on their calendar until next week when they start up with a few weekends of golf.

Give it a rest and let those of us who enjoy track & field continue to enjoy it without you telling us it shouldn't be in the Olympics anymore.

Well, if you can get any coverage of it on TV. And of course, my saying to 'scrap T&F' would only help bring a SOG back to the US because, as has been discussed ad infinitum here, the big bane in a US bid is the T&F stadium.

Just as you don't like being told blah-blah-blah...then STOP telling me what I can say or not on this forum. It is an OPEN one and I am free,and WILL POST what I want regardless of your consent or not.

So if that bunch of sports is scrapped (and yes, I know it won't be...but for those of us with more versatile imaginations, it's easy to see an Olympics w/o that), then it would be a lot easier and sooner for New York, Chicago, Tulsa,...heck even Reno, to bid summer again, especially as our little Grecian boy, Athensfan, so pines for. :P

Duh.

Sorry baron, I forgot that no statistic can be true unless you validate it first... TV Ratings Saturday: Was it the Gymnastics or Local NFL Preemptions?. I know it's a summer Saturday night, but still, I wouldn't exactly call those high TV numbers.

The rest of us are happy with you in your demographic too. That way when you say something completely asinine like "scrap track & field," nobody listens to you :D I know that's solely your preference and not something you actually expect to happen in reality, but is it really necessary to compare what has long been the marquee sport of the Olympics to perhaps the most outdated and unnecessary sport in the Olympics? Give it a rest and let those of us who enjoy track & field continue to enjoy it without you telling us it shouldn't be in the Olympics anymore.

Of course they are.. they're trying to promote a sport that they're going to be showing a lot of for a week in primetime next summer. That's why NBC and not ESPN is covering this. Besides, what else would they be showing on a weekend afternoon? Not much else on their calendar until next week when they start up with a few weekends of golf.

I hope NBC does a good job at promoting the sport. It needs the promotion. There is potential for USA Track and Field to develop a potential homegrown American superstar over the next year. There are several very good candidates to be the face of the sport in the United States: Allyson Felix, Sanya Richards-Ross (if she can return to 2009 form), David Oliver (if he can return to the form he had last year and earlier this year), Ashton Eaton and Brittney Reese. Others could include Jeremy Wariner and Tyson Gay (if both ever return to full strength).

The 2012 USA Olympic Trials in Track and Field will be the last chance for a lot of the American athletes to make the London squad, due to age, injuries or recent struggles. The names I mentioned above could (barring health issues) all compete in Rio in 2016 (Felix has said that she would compete in Rio, and Richards-Ross has said she would too, unless both have a desire to have children by then. Both will be 31 by Rio). Eaton is 23 and by Rio he'll be 27. Reese will be 29 by Rio. Oliver and Gay will be 34 by that time, and it may be cutting it close. I'd expect London to be the final hurrah for Dwight Phillips, Angelo Taylor, Doc Patton, Brian Clay and Bernard Lagat, assuming that they all make the Olympic team.

If this year's World Championships for Team USA is any indication, we will be seeing a bunch of first time Olympians next year in London, although some of those first time Olympians (Danielle Carruthers, Kellie Wells, Debbie Dunn, Carmelita Jeter) will probably only be one-time Olympians. NBC will probably have some sort of story on that,how USA Track and Field has a bunch of first time Olympians.

In another Olympic Sport, I'd expect London to be the Olympic debuts of Maya Moore on the USA Women's Basketball Team, Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose on the Men's Basketball squad. IMO, Durant should have been on the 2008 team over Jason Kidd and Moore will probably continue USA's Undefeated streak in Women's Basketball. I'd expect NBC to profile all three of those athletes, with a strong emphasis on Moore due to not as many people watching the WNBA as they do NBA. I have no doubt that all three will be in London for the 2012 Summer Olympics (unless injured), staying in a luxury hotel while the other American Olympians stay in the Olympic Village.

Well, if you can get any coverage of it on TV. And of course, my saying to 'scrap T&F' would only help bring a SOG back to the US because, as has been discussed ad infinitum here, the big bane in a US bid is the T&F stadium.

That's a great idea. The USOC should pitch that to IOC. "We have a great proposal for a city to bid, but would you mind if we didn't hold the signature sport of the Olympics? It might be too much of a bother for us so we'd rather not have it." Okay, I'm done with my sarcasm there.

You can use your imagination and post to your heart's content, I don't care. I'll remember that the next time someone says how they should scrap figure skating from the Olympics because it's not really a sport and then you jump all over him and try to cite TV ratings or whatever else that says figure skating needs to stay. And if you want to indulge your fantasy that track & field might get eliminated from the Olympics because you don't care for it, you go ahead and do that. But don't try and pass off your opinions (i.e. "nobody cares about track & field") as if you're speaking for everyone.

I hope NBC does a good job at promoting the sport. It needs the promotion. There is potential for USA Track and Field to develop a potential homegrown American superstar over the next year. There are several very good candidates to be the face of the sport in the United States: Allyson Felix, Sanya Richards-Ross (if she can return to 2009 form), David Oliver (if he can return to the form he had last year and earlier this year), Ashton Eaton and Brittney Reese. Others could include Jeremy Wariner and Tyson Gay (if both ever return to full strength).

It's easy to forget that the United States is still the most successful nation when it comes to track & field. Between the Olympics and the World Championships, you have to go back to 2003 to find the last time the United States didn't win the most total medals, and even then they had the most gold. But yes, the problem is that they've had a decade worth of drug scandals and the most prominent athlete in the sport right now is Jamaican, not American. Hopefully NBC can find someone to keep interest up through the 2nd week of the games since we know week 1 will be all about swimming and probably gymnastics. At least, unlike diving which has become a complete non-factor in the United States, with track & field there's hope of finding that next big superstar.

With regard to your last paragraph though.. I doubt NBC is going to make a huge deal out of individuals on the basketball teams (especially if, like you said, they're not staying at the Village). Those games only generally hit NBC on the weekends while the rest of the games are relegated to cable. And really, I doubt there's much we can learn about Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose or even Maya Moore that we don't know already from seeing them all the time in the NBA/WNBA.

Post-Bolt, even if there are some marketable U.S. stars, none of them are likely to touch Bolt's records. I think part of the appeal of the men's 100m has always been the chance of a world record in a major final. I don't think anyone is going to come close to Bolt's records for decades, especially in the 200m. I think women's sprinting has really suffered in the U.S. because no one can come close to FloJo's "records," and I think the possibility of world records is important for keeping up interest in track & field.

Post-Bolt, even if there are some marketable U.S. stars, none of them are likely to touch Bolt's records. I think part of the appeal of the men's 100m has always been the chance of a world record in a major final. I don't think anyone is going to come close to Bolt's records for decades, especially in the 200m. I think women's sprinting has really suffered in the U.S. because no one can come close to FloJo's "records," and I think the possibility of world records is important for keeping up interest in track & field.

I think the problem, other than the doping scandals, is that you had Carl Lewis, you had FloJo, you had JJK, and you had Michael Johnson. They were all dominant in their events so you knew to promote them, just like you have Michael Phelps in swimming. Now, you don't have those guaranteed superstars except of course for Bolt even though he's not American. And with his records.. we don't know that no one will come close to her records. No one thought anyone would touch Michael Johnson's 19.32 for a long long time and that record stood for only 12 years, much shorter than Pietro Mennea's record in the 200.

So try and stop me!

I can't, I know that. Won't stop me from calling you out for making ridiculous comments that you may or may not be trying to pass off as reality when in truth it's just a fantasy, it's not the real thing (But sometimes a fantasy... is all you need!)

Alright, I have a major bone to pick with Universal Sports with their coverage of the IAAF World Championships. I was looking at the Universal Sports' website for the schedule from Daegu. Looks similar to what they did for the FINA Worlds.. everything is available live online (but you have to pay for it), and mostly delayed on TV. Coverage of the morning sessions generally begins at 10pm ET (not sure if that's JIP or delayed since the online coverage begins at 9pm ET) and according to the website, the evening session coverage is delayed to 6pm ET each night, again not unlike what they did for swimming.

Here's the thing though.. I'm looking through my program guide this afternoon and see there was coverage on from 2pm to 4pm. Wasn't sure what day it was from, but the first thing I caught was the 110 meter hurdles with the disqualification of Dayron Robles. It occurs to me probably hasn't aired yet. So in short.. Universal Sports' website is saying that the evening session is being shown at 6pm when it's actually first being shown at 2pm. Seems like that's the schedule for most of the rest of the week.

Now I've been accused by some about trying to defend NBC and their tape delay policies, so once again, perhaps it's a little hypocritical of me to call them out for stuff like this. But if you're going to air something multiple times, even if the first airing is tape delayed, how do you not promote the time as that first airing. I don't know if that's deliberate or what, but that's inexcusable. I'm losing a lot of faith in Universal Sports for this. They're supposed to be the go-to network for big international events like this and they still seem to promote themselves as website first, television network second. Not trying to read anything into this since I put it more on Universal Sports than the folks with NBC Sports, but still.. not cool at all.

All events live in some form for Olympics on NBC

By RACHEL COHEN, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — NBC's Olympic coverage in London will look very familiar, with one major twist.

For the first time, the network plans to show every event live in some form — even if it's just raw video streaming online. But the prime-time broadcasts will still use that traditional formula of human-interest features and taped competition.

The man behind that coverage will be someone steeped in the NBC philosophy of packaging the Olympics for a wide audience. NBC announced Tuesday that "Today" executive producer Jim Bell would serve in that role for the 2012 Games.

He fills the spot held by Dick Ebersol, who resigned as chair of NBC Sports Group in May. Earlier in his career, Bell was coordinating producer for NBC Olympics under Ebersol.

"That's what our approach on the Olympics has been and what it will continue to be," said Mark Lazarus, who replaced Ebersol atop NBC Sports Group. "Having Jim do that for the Olympics assures we'll have that sensibility."

Except the prime-time programming bearing that sensibility will no longer be the first opportunity viewers have to watch who wins the gold. Ebersol was adamant even as he left NBC that showing events live during the day would hurt overall ratings.

But to Lazarus, the sports fan of today demands immediacy — and that doesn't have to be mutually exclusive to highly stylized broadcasts aired when people are most likely to be sitting in front of the TV.

"I believe in that, and that will be some philosophical shift from my predecessor," Lazarus told The Associated Press.

READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE HERE

All events live in some form for Olympics on NBC

Now that's what I'm talking about! Excellent move by NBC, this is EXACTLY what I was hoping they'd do, so it's good to see it will take effect for London instead of waiting for Sochi. Definitely even more excited for the London Olympics now thanks to this news, can't wait to see how this will all play out.

Archived