NBC Retains Olympic rights through 2020

UniSports showed the World Champs finals on a delay because otherwise they would have been on a 6:00 AM!!!!! DUH! They saved it for prime time when people would be up and have the time to watch, just like NBC does with the Olympic Games! Hello???

No, they were shown on delay because Universal Sports is unable to air programming from 4am-10am Eastern. In order to get NBC affiliates to carry Universal Sports over-the-air, they had to give 6 hours a day of programming to the local stations. This is why Universal Sports has 6 hours of infomercials from 4-10am. In 2009, Universal Sports aired all of the swimming finals from Rome live from noon-2pm Eastern. Versus also aired the 2009 IAAF Worlds live every afternoon from Berlin. Universal Sports couldn't do that this year because the finals in Shanghai and Daegu were during the 4-10am time frame.

And the IAAF Worlds on Universal Sports is a downgrade from Versus. Versus is available in more homes, and it's available in high definition. I get Versus in HD as part of my expanded basic cable package. I don't get Universal Sports on cable at all (which is part of the reason why I'm switching to DirecTV next week).

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, they were shown on delay because Universal Sports is unable to air programming from 4am-10am Eastern. In order to get NBC affiliates to carry Universal Sports over-the-air, they had to give 6 hours a day of programming to the local stations. This is why Universal Sports has 6 hours of infomercials from 4-10am. In 2009, Universal Sports aired all of the swimming finals from Rome live from noon-2pm Eastern. Versus also aired the 2009 IAAF Worlds live every afternoon from Berlin. Universal Sports couldn't do that this year because the finals in Shanghai and Daegu were during the 4-10am time frame.

Dude, even if they DIDN'T show the informercials I am telling you they would NOT have shown it live. Rome 2009 is NOT a good example. You know what else they did in 2009? They showed EVERYTHING. They showed ALL the diving, They showed the Sychro and they showed the Water Polo (not just the semis and finals). Finals were at night in China, prelims in the morning. They could have shown the prelims live in the U.S., but why bother? It's the semi's and finals people want to see, and they showed that for prime-time. And I hate to break it to you, but at this point in time, Swimming has a higher profile in the U.S. than Track does. You think swimming isn't mainstream, let me tell you nobody in the U.S. gives a RIP about T&F.

And the IAAF Worlds on Universal Sports is a downgrade from Versus. Versus is available in more homes, and it's available in high definition. I get Versus in HD as part of my expanded basic cable package. I don't get Universal Sports on cable at all (which is part of the reason why I'm switching to DirecTV next week).

What a joke. It doesn't matter if it's available in more homes or if it's in HD if nobody watches the channel anyway or even knows what the hell "Versus" :rolleyes: is.

Funny I'm the swimmer and the big swimfan around here and it seems to be a much bigger issue to you than it is to me. How much of Shanghai did you personally watch? Because you can bet your bottom dollar that when swimming was on I was watching every night, even the late night replays after I came home from practice, sometimes from 12-2 or even 1-3 am, AND I got up a few mornings to watch the online stream.

And Quaker, I've asked you this before, but what IS your erection for Versus? No, I"m really serious, and I don't think you've ever explained it. I know you went to school in Kabletown, but did you intern over at Comcrap or something? Have BFF's working over there? What is it? It's a channel that FAILED. It was in so many homes ONLY because Comcrap owned it and put it on it's cable systems.

P.S. you know what? maybe they would have shown it live at 6am Eastern, 3am Pacific, and then repeated it later at night, but really, I'm the big swim fan and even I didn't care so much. Plus, they had a studio show going on in prime time and probably needed the time to edit and package the video from Shanghai down. Showing things delayed gave them the time to do that. When I wanted it live, I got up and streamed it online (and no I didn't pay the 9.99 UniSports was asking for, I watched Eurosport coverage from a pirate stream - have to say I enjoyed James Parrack, he was funny, though naturally I'll always prefer Rowdy).

What a joke. It doesn't matter if it's available in more homes or if it's in HD if nobody watches the channel anyway or even knows what the hell "Versus" :rolleyes: is.

Of course it makes a difference. Maybe YOU don't know (or care) what Versus is, but you're nuts if you actually think that Universal Sports has a bigger profile than Versus. Versus actually has a handful of mainstream events, not the type of Olympic sports events that we here love, but that most people in this country couldn't care less about. Versus would have made the FINA Worlds much more mainstream than it could have been on Universal Sports. The web coverage is a separate issue, but strictly on the television side, putting this and the IAAF Worlds on UniSports instead of Versus is not the best way to go.

Dude, even if they DIDN'T show the informercials I am telling you they would NOT have shown it live. Rome 2009 is NOT a good example. You know what else they did in 2009? They showed EVERYTHING. They showed ALL the diving, They showed the Sychro and they showed the Water Polo (not just the semis and finals). Finals were at night in China, prelims in the morning. They could have shown the prelims live in the U.S., but why bother? It's the semi's and finals people want to see, and they showed that for prime-time. And I hate to break it to you, but at this point in time, Swimming has a higher profile in the U.S. than Track does. You think swimming isn't mainstream, let me tell you nobody in the U.S. gives a RIP about T&F.

Swimming is bigger these days than Track in the U.S., no question. And yea the timezones are vastly different from Rome to Shanghai, but if they showed the finals from Rome live at Noon, why did the taped coverage from Shanghai have to wait until primetime, especially when there's already repeats throughout the day? I bet you if Versus had either event, we'd see live coverage. They could have showed the prelim/morning session events at night live, the finals/night session live in the morning, and then repeated that throughout the day. I'm looking at the IAAF schedule on Universal Sports (see link below).. they're not even trying to show certain events live, although notice that they're showing ALL sessions, not just the evening ones. Even still, they're not delaying this because they want a primetime audience, they're hampered by their programming requirements. I know it's a necessary evil with them, but all the more reason this event needs to be on Versus where it could have been live and then repeated.

http://www.universalsports.com/track-and-field/events/event=US0302094/viewers-guide/index.html

Of course it makes a difference. Maybe YOU don't know (or care) what Versus is, but you're nuts if you actually think that Universal Sports has a bigger profile than Versus. Versus actually has a handful of mainstream events, not the type of Olympic sports events that we here love, but that most people in this country couldn't care less about. Versus would have made the FINA Worlds much more mainstream than it could have been on Universal Sports. The web coverage is a separate issue, but strictly on the television side, putting this and the IAAF Worlds on UniSports instead of Versus is not the best way to go.

Swimming is bigger these days than Track in the U.S., no question. And yea the timezones are vastly different from Rome to Shanghai, but if they showed the finals from Rome live at Noon, why did the taped coverage from Shanghai have to wait until primetime, especially when there's already repeats throughout the day? I bet you if Versus had either event, we'd see live coverage. They could have showed the prelim/morning session events at night live, the finals/night session live in the morning, and then repeated that throughout the day. I'm looking at the IAAF schedule on Universal Sports (see link below).. they're not even trying to show certain events live, although notice that they're showing ALL sessions, not just the evening ones. Even still, they're not delaying this because they want a primetime audience, they're hampered by their programming requirements. I know it's a necessary evil with them, but all the more reason this event needs to be on Versus where it could have been live and then repeated.

http://www.universalsports.com/track-and-field/events/event=US0302094/viewers-guide/index.html

**** "Versus" already, GEEZUS. Swimming, Track, whatever - belong on UniSports. They are the Olympic Sports and they belong on the Olympic Sports channel. I know UniSports was working on an HD channel for cable and satellite, and I'm sure it will come eventually. But it's not such a big deal that I'm pissing my pants in the mean time. You two are, I don't know why.

Funny I'm the swimmer and the big swimfan around here and it seems to be a much bigger issue to you than it is to me. How much of Shanghai did you personally watch? Because you can bet your bottom dollar that when swimming was on I was watching every night, even the late night replays after I came home from practice, sometimes from 12-2 or even 1-3 am, AND I got up a few mornings to watch the online stream.

And Quaker, I've asked you this before, but what IS your erection for Versus? No, I"m really serious, and I don't think you've ever explained it. I know you went to school in Kabletown, but did you intern over at Comcrap or something? Have BFF's working over there? What is it? It's a channel that FAILED. It was in so many homes ONLY because Comcrap owned it and put it on it's cable systems.

P.S. you know what? maybe they would have shown it live at 6am Eastern, 3am Pacific, and then repeated it later at night, but really, I'm the big swim fan and even I didn't care so much. Plus, they had a studio show going on in prime time and probably needed the time to edit and package the video from Shanghai down. Showing things delayed gave them the time to do that. When I wanted it live, I got up and streamed it online (and no I didn't pay the 9.99 UniSports was asking for, I watched Eurosport coverage from a pirate stream - have to say I enjoyed James Parrack, he was funny, though naturally I'll always prefer Rowdy).

Wow OneTime.. I know we had that spat earlier about the name change, but why is it that if I say that I say something in favor of Versus that I must be biased in their favor or something. I have no ties to Versus or Comcast whatsoever. I couldn't care less how good or bad they do, but the simple fact of the matter is that they are a far more notable television network than Universal Sports. And while I don't work for Versus or any related company, I do work in the cable sports television industry, so I'm not making these opinions based on person preference.

Let me ask you though.. how are they a failure? Because they're not ESPN? ESPN had a 15-year head start into the sports television market, but no one is approaching what they've become. But Versus (which will BECOME NBC Sports Network, not getting replaced) is slowing headed in the right direction. In case you hadn't noticed, they just signed a nice long contract to be the cable home of the NHL. They're probably going to be a big player in future negotiations for other big sports packages, including an NFL deal. They now have the backing of an OTA network and they're getting far more press through this merger than Universal Sports could ever dream of. Versus is in no way a failure. Are they a certified success story yet? Of course not. But to call them a failure is way too much of an exaggeration on the other side of the spectrum, especially looking towards the future. Either way, they're far more mainstream than Universal Sports is, a sub-niche network offering a sub-niche product to a sub-niche audience, and if not for the NBC sub-channel deals, I bet they'd barely be in 50 million homes, if even that.

**** "Versus" already, GEEZUS. Swimming, Track, whatever - belong on UniSports. They are the Olympic Sports and they belong on the Olympic Sports channel. I know UniSports was working on an HD channel for cable and satellite, and I'm sure it will come eventually. But it's not such a big deal that I'm pissing my pants in the mean time. You two are, I don't know why.

Because I didn't spend money on a nice big HDTV and pay out of the ass for cable every month (which IIRC you don't) to have a world championship event fed to me in standard definition. I was a lot more into the weekend coverage on NBC because there was less of a delay and because the pictures were a lot nicer than any of the weeknight coverage on Universal Sports. And I guarantee you I (and I'm betting there's others who feel the same way) would have been a lot more into the entire event if it was in HD than in SD. This is 2011, get with the program Universal Sports!!

Funny I'm the swimmer and the big swimfan around here and it seems to be a much bigger issue to you than it is to me. How much of Shanghai did you personally watch?

I watched all of the coverage on NBC and Universal Sports (and managed to watch most of it unspoiled since I was busy during the day). I'll watch all of their Daegu coverage as well. I'd just prefer that it be live like it was 2 years ago--there's no excuse for it not to be.

But Versus (which will BECOME NBC Sports Network, not getting replaced) is slowing headed in the right direction. In case you hadn't noticed, they just signed a nice long contract to be the cable home of the NHL. They're probably going to be a big player in future negotiations for other big sports packages, including an NFL deal.....Versus is in no way a failure.

VERSUS IS DEAD. New NAME, New BRAND, New MANAGEMENT!!!! NBC Sports Network may become a success, but Versus never was and never will be because it is *dying* and it never really worked!!!!!! I honestly can't wait for January 2nd so I'll never have to hear that stupid name again. I could buy your argument about it "becoming" rather than being "replaced" if Versus was originally an NBC Sports property to begin with, but it wasn't, it was a Comcrap attempt that never really went anywhere. NBC Sports is killing it for something better. But we are never going to be in agreement on this.

Because I didn't spend money on a nice big HDTV and pay out of the ass for cable every month (which IIRC you don't) to have a world championship event fed to me in standard definition. I was a lot more into the weekend coverage on NBC because there was less of a delay and because the pictures were a lot nicer than any of the weeknight coverage on Universal Sports. And I guarantee you I (and I'm betting there's others who feel the same way) would have been a lot more into the entire event if it was in HD than in SD. This is 2011, get with the program Universal Sports!!

The weekend coverage was less of a delay? :blink: Oh really? Because Lochte set his WR in the 200 IM on a Thursday, and it was on UniSports TV that NIGHT. It didn't get on NBC until SATURDAY AFTERNOON! Oh yeah, so everything else that happened Saturday morning US Time in China aired at 1pm instead of 8pm, big deal.

You know what, I don't care about the picture quality so much as much as I get to actually see the races. That's first and foremost. And frankly, if it has to be in HD or a few hours earlier in order for you to watch it, then, you're not really a fan of the sport. Us real fans were watching it every day, both online and on TV.

VERSUS IS DEAD. New NAME, New BRAND, New MANAGEMENT!!!! NBC Sports Network may become a success, but Versus never was and never will be because it is *dying* and it never really worked!!!!!! I honestly can't wait for January 2nd so I'll never have to hear that stupid name again. I could buy your argument about it "becoming" rather than being "replaced" if Versus was originally an NBC Sports property to begin with, but it wasn't, it was a Comcrap attempt that never really went anywhere. NBC Sports is killing it for something better. But we are never going to be in agreement on this.

There's new management there now, so if the name change didn't occur, would it not be "replacing?" How about when OLN became Versus with all the same management in place, because I thought that was "replacing." You're right that Versus is a second rate network and this merger is probably going to help that. It's still a continuation of the same network though, just like when a sports franchise changes names or moves to a new city. But whatever.. are we really going to get into a debate over semantics and interpretation again?

The weekend coverage was less of a delay? :blink: Oh really? Because Lochte set his WR in the 200 IM on a Thursday, and it was on UniSports TV that NIGHT. It didn't get on NBC until SATURDAY AFTERNOON! Oh yeah, so everything else that happened Saturday morning US Time in China aired at 1pm instead of 8pm, big deal.

You know what, I don't care about the picture quality so much as much as I get to actually see the races. That's first and foremost. And frankly, if it has to be in HD or a few hours earlier in order for you to watch it, then, you're not really a fan of the sport. Us real fans were watching it every day, both online and on TV.

Are you kidding? THAT is your smoking gun? Wow. Lochte's swim was at around 7am ET Thursday morning. It aired on Universal Sports on a 14 hour delay. The events shown Saturday and Sunday on NBC were on a 7 hour delay. Not the biggest deal in the world, but again, why did I have to wait 7 extra hours for the weekday coverage? And again, this isn't the Olympics, UniSports was airing swimming all afternoon, so what was the purpose of the wait. Somehow I doubt they generated that much in additional ad revenue for that any more than they could have from Rome 2 years ago.

And we get that YOU don't care about picture quality. Maybe I'm less of a fan of swimming that you are, but it would be nice for what's supposed to be a major event like this to at least get shown in high definition. When I have well over 100 channels in HD available to me, I don't think that's too much to ask. And if the question is would I have watched swimming if it was in HD instead of SD.. you bet your ass I would have. I'm a big enough fan I'm willing to settle for SD for an event I'm interested in, but it would have made a big difference for me and I'm sure there's more than a few people out there who feel the same way. It's not just about you, believe it or not.

The new distribution deal with DirecTV should enable Universal Sports to broadcast in HD in the near future. I've also heard that Comcast plans to offer the channel nationwide by the end of the year. I've noticed that most of US's recent programming has been in 16:9 format, whereas most of their programming used to be in 4:3. This suggests to me that they're preparing to broadcast in HD soon.

The new distribution deal with DirecTV should enable Universal Sports to broadcast in HD in the near future. I've also heard that Comcast plans to offer the channel nationwide by the end of the year. I've noticed that most of US's recent programming has been in 16:9 format, whereas most of their programming used to be in 4:3. This suggests to me that they're preparing to broadcast in HD soon.

Could also be that many events are being shot 16:9 so they're just trying to be safe by letterboxing. I imagine it's tough for a worldwide audience to move everything into 16:9 (Fox tried that for the NFL last fall and it took them most of the season to get it right), but I think that's the direction things are headed. Either way, anything than pushes Universal Sports towards HD sooner rather than later is a very very good thing.

Interesting News:

Major League Soccer and NBC Sports on Thursday will announce a new three-year agreement to televise 45 league matches and 4 United States national team games on the main network and on the NBC Sports Network, which will be the new name of the current cable station Versus. The deal will end the league’s relationship with Fox Soccer, which recently signed a one-year deal to carry matches in 2011.

In each year of the deal, the NBC network will broadcast two regular-season M.L.S. games, two playoff games and two national team games (Soccer United Marketing, the marketing arm of M.L.S., owns the rights to the United States national team). The NBC Sports Network will televise 38 regular-season games, 3 playoff games and 2 national team matches. The agreement also gives NBC digital rights across all platforms.

Does anyone know how long ABC has the rights to broadcast the FIFA world cup, and how much they paid for them?

I was just talking about that in another forum. I believe ESPN/ABC have the rights to the 2014 World Cup, but that 2018 hasn't been awarded yet. Look for the NBC Sports Group to go hard after those rights, especially since they have an ace in the hole.. the ability to package Telemundo as part of the deal.

Even if it was on Versus or TruTV or whatever, the Games would get big ratings.

I think the ratings would be fine on other broadcasted networks, like FOX or ABC, but Versus and TruTV? Really? I know it's 2011, but still not everyone has cable or satellite. And honestly, I've never ever heard of TruTV until now. Ratings would drop, I assure you.

Oh wow, please disregard my post above, my browser didn't take me to the most recent postings. I'm sure what I wrote has been mentioned several times over by others. Move along, nothing to see from me.

And apparently, if I make a new reply, it just adds it to same post. Great. If this shows up in the same post, just know that this is my third post, to avoid confusion.

I was just talking about that in another forum. I believe ESPN/ABC have the rights to the 2014 World Cup, but that 2018 hasn't been awarded yet. Look for the NBC Sports Group to go hard after those rights, especially since they have an ace in the hole.. the ability to package Telemundo as part of the deal.

Yes, ESPN and Univision have the rights through 2014. ESPN paid $100 million for the rights to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, and Univision paid $325 million. I think it will be tough for NBC Universal to get the rights--Univision gets higher ratings for the World Cup than ESPN, and Telemundo has far less distribution in the U.S.

http://www.soccertimes.com/worldcup/2005/nov02.htm

So I just went online and saw the schedule for the 2011 Rugby World Cup on NBC and Universal Sports. Apparently they are showing a handful of matches live (mostly around 3:30am ET) and then repeating them later in the day and/or in primetime. So can someone explain to me again why live in the middle of the night (followed by a primetime replay) works for Rugby, but not for swimming? I kinda know the answer to that already, but it pisses me off nonetheless, especially that Universal Sports remains an SD only channel.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this online at www.iwantuniversalsports.com:

"World class events & your favorite athletes are on Universal Sports.

Michael Phelps, Shawn Johnson, Usain Bolt, Lindsey Vonn.

But they're NOT in HD. See them the way they're meant to be seen: in High-Definition!

Contact your cable provider & tell them YOU want Universal Sports in HD! Click "Request Now" Today!"

I thought I had read that UniSports did have an HD feed available. So they are just trying to get cable/satellite to carry it in HD?

I thought I had read that UniSports did have an HD feed available. So they are just trying to get cable/satellite to carry it in HD?

I remember reading they were planning to build out a new HD studio at some point a couple of years ago that was going to be HD-ready. Not sure if that ever happened, but to my knowledge, they do not yet send out an HD signal, although I'm sure that's in part because they're a digital sub channel in many locations.

I remember reading they were planning to build out a new HD studio at some point a couple of years ago that was going to be HD-ready. Not sure if that ever happened, but to my knowledge, they do not yet send out an HD signal, although I'm sure that's in part because they're a digital sub channel in many locations.

Universal Sports moved to an HD-ready studio back in January 2010. I've heard that they'll be broadcasting in HD on DirecTV and possibly nationwide on Comcast cable systems by the end of this year.

Being a digital sub-channel has absolutely nothing to do with it. UniSports could be HD on cable and satellite, and be SD on the OTA digital sub-channel.

As an aside, all NBC O&O's carry UniSports as a sub-channel.

So apparently Universal Sports didn't even bother sending announcers to Daegu. They're broadcasting out of their studio in Los Angeles. I really want to take this network seriously, but when they do cheap crap like this for what's supposed to be 1 of the world's biggest sporting events outside of the Olympics, it's difficult to get the sense this is in fact a big event. Bad job guys.. and that goes to the entire NBC Universal/Comcast camp on this one.

So apparently Universal Sports didn't even bother sending announcers to Daegu. They're broadcasting out of their studio in Los Angeles. I really want to take this network seriously, but when they do cheap crap like this for what's supposed to be 1 of the world's biggest sporting events outside of the Olympics, it's difficult to get the sense this is in fact a big event. Bad job guys.. and that goes to the entire NBC Universal/Comcast camp on this one.

Totally agree with you.

Is there any chance that there will be announcers in Daegu later? Most events are still in preliminary heats.....

Maybe NBC is already realizing that they overbid on their Olympic package and they're trying to cut every cost they can..... ;)

Tom Hammond, Ato Boldon, and Lewis Johnson are in Daegu. We'll see them on NBC's coverage this weekend and on Universal Sports' afternoon coverage of the finals sessions all week. Paul Sunderland and Dwight Stones will anchor the primetime coverage from LA, which will include mostly prelim heats and field events, plus recaps of the finals from the afternoon broadcast. This coverage is unbelievable--we've never had this level of TV coverage for IAAF Worlds in the past, including not only the finals sessions but also the prelim sessions.

Archived