NBC Retains Olympic rights through 2020

Yeah but you know they'll shove it online. And because of the stupid paranoia we get stuck with horrible broken "authentication" systems that don't work, and people who are interested the ones that matter because they're seeking out the coverage are forced to find pirate streams or look for it on YouTube, and they don't see the NBC ads anyway. I don't consider it win-win at all.

I don't see it being an issue. Most of the tv I watch now is online, so I can only imagine the way that will expand for people in 3 years. Also, I never had any issues with an authentication system . . . and given that NBC has 3 years to work it out, I'm sure it will be fine.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but you know they'll shove it online. And because of the stupid paranoia we get stuck with horrible broken "authentication" systems that don't work, and people who are interested the ones that matter because they're seeking out the coverage are forced to find pirate streams or look for it on YouTube, and they don't see the NBC ads anyway. I don't consider it win-win at all.

As opposed to if ESPN got the Olympics and we had to deal with espn3.com? Not necessarily a better solution there.

I know a lot of people view NBC as being stuck in the past and afraid to change but at least this is progress in the right direction. No one is "forced" to find pirate streams, and I think the number of people actually going that route is pretty minimal. Remember it's Comcast running the show now, so that should make a marked difference, for better or worse. Still too early to tell if they'll be able to shed the Comcrap image or just make it worse, but I'm certainly willing to give them a shot if it makes advancing forward from the Ebersol era. For me, if the TV coverage stays largely the same and they begin to offer everything online, I think I'll be satisfied with that.

I don't see it being an issue. Most of the tv I watch now is online, so I can only imagine the way that will expand for people in 3 years. Also, I never had any issues with an authentication system . . . and given that NBC has 3 years to work it out, I'm sure it will be fine.

NBC/Comcast is already doing it for a lot of Olympic sports on the Universal Sports site. Most of it isn't free, but it's still fairly reasonable. I think I paid $25 for the track and field package, which gets me all the Diamond League meets plus the World Championships. It's worked pretty well for me in general.

Well I hope so, although I'm not as optimistic as you are. The authentication didn't work, and especially for anyone on a University network, or in a house where 5 guys rented it was just FAIL all over. I was dating someone who still lived in the dorms at OSU and they couldn't get it, in my house the cable was in one of the other guy's name and he didn't remember or even know the email and password. I hope they can see their error's but I can see them coming up with the same or a similar arcane solution.

Well I hope so, although I'm not as optimistic as you are. The authentication didn't work, and especially for anyone on a University network, or in a house where 5 guys rented it was just FAIL all over. I was dating someone who still lived in the dorms at OSU and they couldn't get it, in my house the cable was in one of the other guy's name and he didn't remember or even know the email and password. I hope they can see their error's but I can see them coming up with the same or a similar arcane solution.

Which OSU?

Yeah Ohio nor Oregon, or Oklahoma. lol. Haha no don't get me started on the NCAA, Tressel will be missed tremendously, we can only hope that the NCAA doesn't punish us so bad we have to join the FCS.

Yeah Ohio nor Oregon, or Oklahoma. lol. Haha no don't get me started on the NCAA, Tressel will be missed tremendously, we can only hope that the NCAA doesn't punish us so bad we have to join the FCS.

As a former Arkansas Razorback, you don't know how much I wish they had gotten that story out a few months earlier.

We are now just starting to see TV and the internet merge, and by 2016/2020 it will be mainstream, so it will be irrelevant about the medium IMO. I mean, what can you show "live" in prime time for European hosts anyway? Most of Europe is sleeping at 8pm eastern time.

Admittedly, the fluff pieces do distract at times from the sport, but it at least it builds some "characters" to follow, albeit overrated at times. The amount of commercials during the opening ceremony in Beijing were crazy though...

Admittedly, the fluff pieces do distract at times from the sport, but it at least it builds some "characters" to follow, albeit overrated at times. The amount of commercials during the opening ceremony in Beijing were crazy though...

I have to admit it, I *enjoy* the "fluff pieces" as so many people are wont to call them. I enjoy getting to know who these people are, and their stories. Some more than others mind you, but the ones I am interested in I enjoy a lot.

I have to admit it, I *enjoy* the "fluff pieces" as so many people are wont to call them. I enjoy getting to know who these people are, and their stories. Some more than others mind you, but the ones I am interested in I enjoy a lot.

I agree that they can really enhance the coverage. There are so many great stories to be told. I just wish they would take more of a Bud Greenspan approach:

1. No string music in the background

2. No wistful narration (a la Al Trautwig)

3. No treating previous Olympics failure like it was the greatest human tragedy ever

4. Let the story stand on its own merit

^^I want a serious reason, not a joke reason.

What serious reason do you want? They bid way higher than anyone else. For whatever reason NBCU / Comcast are willing to lose hundreds of millions of dollars which FOX and ESPN aren't willing to do, so they didn't bid as high, NBC bid a ridiculous amount and won. That's it.

I agree that they can really enhance the coverage. There are so many great stories to be told. I just wish they would take more of a Bud Greenspan approach:

1. No string music in the background

2. No wistful narration (a la Al Trautwig)

3. No treating previous Olympics failure like it was the greatest human tragedy ever

4. Let the story stand on its own merit

Must disagree with the "Bud Greenspan approach". Bud Greenspan's approach was sterile and boring, with everything spoken in a monotone. Awful, in my opinion. I really dislike Bud Greenspan's films for that reason.

Bud Greenspan's approach was sterile and boring, with everything spoken in a monotone.

For once I agree with you!! I'd like coverage with Scottie Hamilton doing the narration all throughout!

Has "Linda Richards" (Mike Myers' verklempft Jewish mama alter-ego) ever hosted an Olympic spoof talk-show?? :lol:

^^I want a serious reason, not a joke reason.

Simple reason.. NBC has more to gain (and more to lose) from the Olympics than the other networks. That's why it was reflected in their bid offers that way. NBC believes they can profit from the bid price they offered. They could be wrong (and much like 2010/2012, they way over-shot the next highest bid), but that's why they won. Like GoNutz said.. they bid the highest and they won. Pretty much as simple as that.

Must disagree with the "Bud Greenspan approach". Bud Greenspan's approach was sterile and boring, with everything spoken in a monotone. Awful, in my opinion. I really dislike Bud Greenspan's films for that reason.

Different strokes, I guess. I love those documentaries.

Just a note: I guess I inadvertently helped Comcast win the bid because last month I lowered my Comcast bill by about $40 (dropping Showtime and ESPN).

And then last week, they got bold and put in the $4.3 billion bid!! Is that coincidence or fate?? :lol::lol:

Wow, can't believe how low the other bidders were. NBC could have saved a boat load, but again, it is NBC's style to not take any chances with paying their buddies.

Wow, can't believe how low the other bidders were. NBC could have saved a boat load, but again, it is NBC's style to not take any chances with paying their buddies.

If NBC had bid 3.5 billion, they still won't have won, the IOC would have asked for a new round of bidding. And either FOX or NBC would have had to step up. NBC did so without the prompt because they knew any less then 4 billion would not be accepted.

Archived