South Africa 2022

S. Africa to bid for Commonwealth Games

JOHANNESBURG — South Africa's sports federation wants to bid to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, the group's chief said Thursday, after the government scrapped a proposal to wage an Olympics bid.

"Immediately after the announcement of where the 2018 Commonwealth Games will be, we'll go in for 2022," said Gideon Sam, head of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC).

"It's never been to Africa so we want to put in a bid," he added, according to the Sapa news agency.

Sam said South Africa could also bid for the 2017 World Games.

"We are also very strong on the World Games, which a number of people don't understand," he said.

"It's become very big and extremely well contested. I know there are many countries standing in the queue but, fortunately for us, we have support for 2017.

"But it's not going to be handed on a platter, we're going to have to do a bit of work and we've already started in Cape Town to work around it."

The World Games includes non-Olympic sports practised on land, in the air, and in the water.

Sam was speaking in Durban a month before the start of the 123rd International Olympic Committee session, where the hosts for the 2018 Winter Olympics will be announced.

Sam admitted to slight disappointment over the government's decision last week not to back a bid for the 2020 Olympics, which he had announced after South Africa successfully hosted the football World Cup last year.

"Remember when we started this whole process, we said that this is government. They can host it and not the national Olympic committee. So we were always cautious about running ahead of the whole process," he said.

Sport ministry spokesman Paena Galane said his department was unaware of the Olympic federation's intention to bid for the two events.

"At this moment I think it is a SASCOC internal matter. Once they are done with that process, they will have to write a letter to the minister who will then take it to cabinet for approval.

"However if they they come with the proposal to bid for the events we will encourage them."

AFP

Well, I guess it's appropriate now that we start a dedicated thread to follow this development over the next four years.

A few thoughts to start off:

* About bloody time! It really was an obvious hosting for South Africa to go after - the CWG really does need to go there IMO.

* It can't really be anything but good to its future Olympic plans. Whether they go for the Olys 2024 or 2028, it's a great springboard. And I do think it's a better leg-up than the World Games. The CWGs are easier in scale to justify for the domestic political audience at the moment than the long-hoped for Oly bid, but almost lays an inevitable foundation for South Africa to keep the Oly hopes alive.

* So, I suppose the big question is Which City? The article almost seems to hint Cape Town as the likely bidder, but I would have still thought Durban as best placed at this point in time. And Durban had at least talked CWGs before as well. Oh well, I guess SASCOC has two years now to sort that out, and once decided, it pretty well will leave the CWGs bidding city in the box seat for making an Olympics bid.

* It seems SASCOC is pushing this now. What's the Government's position?

* Is this bid does go ahead, well, it's put down the glasses for 2022. I can't see anybody else winning it against them. It's pretty well South Africa's for the asking.

and finally,

* I imagine this will not be welcome news to certain parties in Nova Scotia.

A few extra, and interesting comments, from Gideon Sam:

On Thursday, South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASOC) president Gideon Sam told reporters that the country would aim to bring the Commonwealth Games to Africa for the first time.

“Immediately after the announcement of where the 2018 Commonwealth Games will be held, we will go in for 2022,” said Sam, speaking at a 30-day countdown event ahead of the upcoming International Olympic Committee Session in Durban. “It has never been to Africa and so we want to put in a bid.”

He added: “In the past we stood back for Nigeria but they lost out to Glasgow (for the right to host the 2014 Games). This time we have said there will be no horse-trading, we will put up our hand and see how we go.” The 2018 Commonwealth Games host city will be announced in November in St Kitts & Nevis, with the Sri Lankan capital of Hambantota and Australia’s Gold Coast in the running.

“The scale of the Commonwealth Games is a lot smaller than the Olympics,” he added. “We will have to have buy-in from a host city and from government, because of security issues, but we are not talking about the expense of an Olympics.”

Sports

Business.com

Does this feel like a foregone conclusion already?

And what must poor Hambantota think?

This is great news for the CWGF, and just what they needed after the Delhi debacle. They can happily and without guilt pick the safe host - Gold Coast - for 2018 knowing they've got a "proven new frontier" (what an odd phrase eh?) waiting for 2022. What a brilliant position to be in! Spread the Games around, and still be in the luxurious position of having a new frontier that should have few problems pulling it off!

I'm willing to say, as long as South Africa is serious and does put in a bid, 2018 and 2022 are pretty much decided. Is that too bold a claim to make? It doesn't feel like it is for some reason, yet I'd never predict two Olympic hosts this far out, let alone with such confidence...

I'm willing to say, as long as South Africa is serious and does put in a bid, 2018 and 2022 are pretty much decided. Is that too bold a claim to make? It doesn't feel like it is for some reason, yet I'd never predict two Olympic hosts this far out, let alone with such confidence...

No, definitely not too bold. I totally agree with you (and I was also wondering if I was being a bit too cocky). Yes, it depends on South Africa making the bid official, but if they do I can't see anyone else who could state a better case while having such confidence in their ability to do it...

and 2018 just isn't a contest as far as I'm concerned.

Well, I guess it's appropriate now that we start a dedicated thread to follow this development over the next four years.

A few thoughts to start off:

* About bloody time! It really was an obvious hosting for South Africa to go after - the CWG really does need to go there IMO.

* It can't really be anything but good to its future Olympic plans. Whether they go for the Olys 2024 or 2028, it's a great springboard. And I do think it's a better leg-up than the World Games. The CWGs are easier in scale to justify for the domestic political audience at the moment than the long-hoped for Oly bid, but almost lays an inevitable foundation for South Africa to keep the Oly hopes alive.

* So, I suppose the big question is Which City? The article almost seems to hint Cape Town as the likely bidder, but I would have still thought Durban as best placed at this point in time. And Durban had at least talked CWGs before as well. Oh well, I guess SASCOC has two years now to sort that out, and once decided, it pretty well will leave the CWGs bidding city in the box seat for making an Olympics bid.

* It seems SASCOC is pushing this now. What's the Government's position?

* Is this bid does go ahead, well, it's put down the glasses for 2022. I can't see anybody else winning it against them. It's pretty well South Africa's for the asking.

and finally,

* I imagine this will not be welcome news to certain parties in Nova Scotia.

Just to be clear he is not referring to Cape Town for the Commonwealth Games. The message is very clear from SASCOC that no other cities matter and this just seems to be a "push" for Durban to get something.

His reference to Cape Town is with regards to the World Games 2017 bid, with the bid document being submitted by Cape Town last Tuesday, and approved by SASCOC.

Top businessmen on twitter have already openly asked on twitter whether Cape Town would be invited to the 2022 domestic race.

Just to be clear he is not referring to Cape Town for the Commonwealth Games. The message is very clear from SASCOC that no other cities matter and this just seems to be a "push" for Durban to get something.

His reference to Cape Town is with regards to the World Games 2017 bid, with the bid document being submitted by Cape Town last Tuesday, and approved by SASCOC.

Top businessmen on twitter have already openly asked on twitter whether Cape Town would be invited to the 2022 domestic race.

So, in other words...what I read from this: Right after the "No Durban 2020 Olympic bid for now" is that CapeTown will be getting the 2017 World Games bid while, as a sopwith to Durban, Durban can go bid for CWG 2022 in prep for 2024. Seems to line up logically.

So Durban would erect an Athletes Village for about 4,000 CWG athletes for 2022. Rent those out on 15-month leases; and then finish additional, new units for the full 10,500 athletes for 2024. That I imagine will be the fulcrum of a Durban 2022-2024 plan. So infastrucutre costs are then leveraged out at least over 2 years.

This leaves the only test events Durban would have to do in 2023 for those venues/sports which weren't tested/used in 2022. Again, makes perfect sense. Whole thing makes an easy sell to the IOC in 2017.

Therefore, I wonder who else would bid for 2024?? :blink:

A 2024 Olympic bid would not be pursued along with a 2020 Commonwealth Games hosting. In fact no bidding until 2022 is hosted. Which means earliest 2032.

Raf, that post doesn't make sense. There is NO 2020 CWG.

How do you know they won't follow up with a 2024 bid? Is SA waiting for Lagos, or Cairo or Nairobi to snatch the 1st African SOGs? :blink:

I meant 2022 CWG. You aren't going to get gov approval for 2024 while you're preparing for 2022. Win Commies in 2015 and then launch Olympic bid in the same year....really?

Well, it doesn't make fiscal sense also to build one smaller OV (say, 1,600 units) for the CWG 2022 Village; and then follow-up with another 3,600 units for the 2028 Village? Not unless it is all going to be subsidized rental housing...then maybe a 2022-2024 tandem wouldn't make sense. But if, as in most past Olympics, they will be lined up for sale after the Games, then a SUDDEN influx of some 3,500 units in one sweep is something not even a metropolis of 8 million people or so, can easily absorb. I guess it all depends on how they intend to dispose of the Village units in either or BOTH cases. Will Durban grow that fast to make the Village investments pay off quickly?

I think RSA will take the smallest losses by doing a 2022-2024 strike rather than a farther-spaced out 2022-2028 run. That's just the way I size it up. Maybe RSA minds think differently.

:angry: ABOUT TIME!!! FOR FLIP SAKE! :angry:

:) However would the CGF want a back to back southern hemisphere host, as it is likely Gold Coast will host 2018. And what if Hambanthota really gets it together by then?

An Olympic bid should have no effect on this long overdue hosting...However South Africans may be beginning to wonder if they are being morally forced to host these mega events at their cost for 'Africa's sake'?

A 2024 Olympic bid would not be pursued along with a 2020 Commonwealth Games hosting. In fact no bidding until 2022 is hosted. Which means earliest 2032.

Okay, I don't know what the political winds are like within and between the Government and SASCOC, but I don't see otherwise why not. It could even make a lot of sense to do so. Brazil had its Pan-Ams slap bang in the middle of the 2016 bid process - and got a huge boost from them - and also had the WC thrown at them during the bid. All of Oz, the UK and Canada have all held, or about to hold, Commies within close proximity to Olympic hostings and bids. For all the talk about the 2010 WC being the biggest boost to a prospective Olympic bid, a Commies is still closer in impact on to host to an Olympics than a WC.

But, hey, I've always admired and approved of South Africa's pretty sensibly paced events strategy since they've been back in the picture. Rugby WC, Cricket WC, FIFA WC, Durban IOC session, probable CWGs coming up, an almost inevitably ordained Olympics some stage ahead. We're just mostly all-to-impatient to see all it happen sooner rather than later, but South Africa's been pretty sensible and strategic and, yes, responsible, in its gradual approach.

Anyway, I'm still holding out hope for a South African Olympics in the 2020s. It'll so great when you crack that one!

Okay, I don't know what the political winds are like within and between the Government and SASCOC, but I don't see otherwise why not. It could even make a lot of sense to do so. Brazil had its Pan-Ams slap bang in the middle of the 2016 bid process - and got a huge boost from them - and also had the WC thrown at them during the bid. All of Oz, the UK and Canada have all held, or about to hold, Commies within close proximity to Olympic hostings and bids. For all the talk about the 2010 WC being the biggest boost to a prospective Olympic bid, a Commies is still closer in impact on to host to an Olympics than a WC.

But, hey, I've always admired and approved of South Africa's pretty sensibly paced events strategy since they've been back in the picture. Rugby WC, Cricket WC, FIFA WC, Durban IOC session, probable CWGs coming up, an almost inevitably ordained Olympics some stage ahead. We're just mostly all-to-impatient to see all it happen sooner rather than later, but South Africa's been pretty sensible and strategic and, yes, responsible, in its gradual approach.

Anyway, I'm still holding out hope for a South African Olympics in the 2020s. It'll so great when you crack that one!

Yes, but to start a bid right after just winning a bid? That seems a little too close for comfort. Rio hosted the PanAms two years before the 2016 vote. What Baron is suggesting, is the 2024 vote would be five years before hosting the CWG. Doesn't make sense to me...

Yes, but to start a bid right after just winning a bid? That seems a little too close for comfort. Rio hosted the PanAms two years before the 2016 vote. What Baron is suggesting, is the 2024 vote would be five years before hosting the CWG. Doesn't make sense to me...

But RSA doesn't really need the CWG to prove themselves. If as everyone here postulated, they'd have been the frontrunner for 2020...WITHOUT a CWG. Therefore, the CWG really isn't crucial to a vote for Durban. Their strongest suit is the Africa card PLUS, they already did a great job with 2010 and, I imagine, the IOC Session. So the CWG will just be an impetus to get more venues built for 2024; so that at least the South African people would've gotten at least 2 major uses for a whole new set of stadia, etc., instead of just one.

I don't think two back to back southern hemisphere games is an issue for the Commonwealth Games, the geographical distribution of potential host cities and the actual limited number of capable host cities means it won't be a consideration.

As has been mentioned, it's pretty much a certainty that South Africa will be awarded these Games and it's great news for the movement in general, giving the Games a real boost. Without a credible proposition for 2022 I think they would have been in real trouble. Now I'm hoping for Singapore 2026...

But RSA doesn't really need the CWG to prove themselves. If as everyone here postulated, they'd have been the frontrunner for 2020...WITHOUT a CWG. Therefore, the CWG really isn't crucial to a vote for Durban. Their strongest suit is the Africa card PLUS, they already did a great job with 2010 and, I imagine, the IOC Session. So the CWG will just be an impetus to get more venues built for 2024; so that at least the South African people would've gotten at least 2 major uses for a whole new set of stadia, etc., instead of just one.

I actually agree with you on that. I don't think South Africa really needs a CWG to mount a successful Olympic bid. All I am saying is that by RSA going for a CWG, it would logically seem to weaken their chances at going for an Olympic bid in at least the next two cycles. It would be challenging for Chicago to mount two simultaneous bids in such a short span. I would imagine that it would be even more challenging for Durban or Cape Town to do such. The fact of the matter is, the bid teams typically work on the preparations of the upcoming games, so that would seem to be too much to juggle IMO. Plus government support and the finances it takes to run a bid could just be too much.

If they put up two separate cities for both the CWG and Olympics, that would just seem foolish to me. By hosting a CWG, it would all but guarantee hosting an Olympics. Why would you want to chance that, and waste tens of millions of dollars, and the time and energy involved?

If they put up two separate cities for both the CWG and Olympics, that would just seem foolish to me. By hosting a CWG, it would all but guarantee hosting an Olympics. Why would you want to chance that, and waste tens of millions of dollars, and the time and energy involved?

If they're serious about restraining costs, it would still have to be Durban then for both the CWG and the O's because it already has a world-class T&F-ready stadium there; not to mention the better July weather. Thus, they're allowing CapeTown to bid for the World Games which (I believe) does not require a track stadium.

:angry: ABOUT TIME!!! FOR FLIP SAKE! :angry:

:) However would the CGF want a back to back southern hemisphere host, as it is likely Gold Coast will host 2018. And what if Hambanthota really gets it together by then?

Certainly echo everything that has been said on the first point. But I don't see a problem with successive Games in the southern hemisphere. For one thing, they would be taking place in very different time zones from one another and, unless Canada come to the table, the only likely northern hemisphere host is Britain again. So South Africa would certainly get the CGF out of one particular hole there.

An Olympic bid should have no effect on this long overdue hosting...However South Africans may be beginning to wonder if they are being morally forced to host these mega events at their cost for 'Africa's sake'?

That's an interesting suggestion. I wouldn't be surprised if that view did hold sway in some quarters, particularly with this being a Commonwealth rather than an Olympic bid. But, if South Africa is going to get the nod as an Olympic host in the future, then hosting a multi-sports event well can only add to its pretty formidable position.

If they're serious about restraining costs, it would still have to be Durban then for both the CWG and the O's because it already has a world-class T&F-ready stadium there; not to mention the better July weather. Thus, they're allowing CapeTown to bid for the World Games which (I believe) does not require a track stadium.

One expects more from you. A cost argument based on the main stadium only?

Baron what are the chances Hambantota wins the race for 2018? Not saying they should win but, their bid book, venue plan, presentation, ticket prices are all better then the Gold Coasts's.

Hi, In. Thanks for asking -- but I'm not really following the CWG races too much.

Well, Hambantota is the "laughing stock" on this board -- as Qatar was for WC 2022. So, I guess while the money's on Gold Coast, stranger things can happen. Qatar did have a VERY SLICK presentation which almost dazzled me. Oz has hosted the CWG's how many times - 2 or 3? Hambantota probably has the Delhi 2010 curse riding on its back -- altho there's supposedly a lot of Chinese yuan behind Hamban's bid. So who knows how that will shake out?

Hi, In. Thanks for asking -- but I'm not really following the CWG races too much.

Well, Hambantota is the "laughing stock" on this board -- as Qatar was for WC 2022. So, I guess while the money's on Gold Coast, stranger things can happen. Qatar did have a VERY SLICK presentation which almost dazzled me. Oz has hosted the CWG's how many times - 2 or 3? Hambantota probably has the Delhi 2010 curse riding on its back -- altho there's supposedly a lot of Chinese yuan behind Hamban's bid. So who knows how that will shake out?

They have hosted 4, this would be 5. Apparently the bid leader has said he has the backing of 20 countries.

Archived