2020 Applicant Cities - Who will bid?

monorail

Correct. But I have a feeling the Rogge gang will try to sweetalk RSA into getting serious about a last-minute Durban bid especially as they rub shoulders there with their South African hosts.

Rogge always tries to seduce everyone. He'd love to have as much applicant cities as possible, but I don't think there will be more than 10...

Well, I don't know if South Africa will finally bid or not. Today, it seems quite unlikely, even South African officials have said so. If they focus on the Cape Town 2017 World Games and the 2022 Commonwealth Games bid, then, as they have also said, the South African Olympic bid could be for 2024 or 2028.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rogge always tries to seduce everyone. He'd love to have as much applicant cities as possible, but I don't think there will be more than 10...

Well, I don't know if South Africa will finally bid or not. Today, it seems quite unlikely, even South African officials have said so. If they focus on the Cape Town 2017 World Games and the 2022 Commonwealth Games bid, then, as they have also said, the South African Olympic bid could be for 2024 or 2028.

lol

he did it in istanbul too at eoc meeting before and this month :)

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/spor/futbol/18050739.asp?gid=381

saying st like "we are positive for turkeys candidature to olympics, insist on Istanbul a cultural and sports city for 2020..."

Rogge encourages everyone and their mother-in-law to bid. He's tried to squeeze bids out of everybody from Nigeria to Chile. It's ludicrous. All he wants to do is create the biggest Olympic frenzy he possibly can. It has nothing to do with which candidates actually have a shot at winning.

Rogge encourages everyone and their mother-in-law to bid. He's tried to squeeze bids out of everybody from Nigeria to Chile. It's ludicrous. All he wants to do is create the biggest Olympic frenzy he possibly can. It has nothing to do with which candidates actually have a shot at winning.

sure.... think as IOC is a company and how many A+ cities run after to host it the companies name gets more valuable... its st like coca cola uses beyonce or someone else as its face ...

Speaking of which...:

Soler: "Jacques Rogge nos pidió que Madrid se presente para 2020"

Soler: "Jacques Rogge asked us for Madrid to bid for 2020"

Secretary of State for Sport, Albert Soler, confirmed that in his meeting with International Olympic Committee president, Jacques Rogge asked him for Madrid to be presented as a candidate city to host the Olympic Games in 2020. "Rogge asks us for Madrid to bid, he doesn't say bid and I'm going to give it to you, but the more cities bidding the better. Moreover, Madrid has a great project, it wouldn't need to make a big investment," Albert Soler revealed during the 'Desayunos Deportivos' of Europa Press.

However, the president of the Superior Sports Council relies on a quick decision by the mayor of Madrid, Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón. "The mayor should not be cleared any doubt, no one knows better than him if Madrid can and must be submitted for 2020, but it is true that the Games end up being a state project, not just a city's, who makes the decision and responsibility is the city, but the state is back helping at everything if the mayor makes the decision," he said.

After what the Spanish Secretary of State for Sport said, Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón, the mayor of Madrid, has said that an official announcement will be made the third week of July. Finally, it seems we'll know if Madrid bids or not for 2020 between the 18th and the 22nd next month (and thank God this is the final official version!).

With the current economic situation in Spain, I can understand they have to think about it very much: hosting the Games would help us a lot, but bidding and losing again could be even worse (although I've read they plan to get all the money they need to bid from sponsors, so no public money would be wasted). The fact is that, as they said when they lost to Rio two years ago, Madrid would bid again for 2020 or 2024, and that still seems to be the idea.

The problem I find here is that, since Tokyo will probably be the only non-Euro candidate for 2020, with Africa and the USA out of the race, 2020 seems more likely to land in Europe than 2024. What I wouldn't like at all is Madrid skipping 2020, Europe getting 2020 and Madrid bidding for 2024 like for 2016 :unsure:

Is Spain really in a financial position to bid? I understand that a lot of venues are ready etc - but there are always developments needed and the games still cost a lot of money to host.

Is Spain really in a financial position to bid? I understand that a lot of venues are ready etc - but there are always developments needed and the games still cost a lot of money to host.

Well, their story would be, like Tokyo's, that it will provide a boost to their economy. Altho Tokyo's spiel sounds like B.S. because the Fukushima areas are quite distant from Tokyo (like some 3 hrs away) so I don't know how they can be included in a viable plan. I think Spain's story might spin a little better -- but then again Spain just had it 19 years ago; Italy's last summer was 51 years ago -- so at this stage, it's still Rome's to lose.

That's why the idea is to spend as little public money as possible. Also, the advantage of having already bid recently is that they won't need to spend as much as for 2012 or 2016.

With the current economic situation in Spain, I can understand they have to think about it very much: hosting the Games would help us a lot, but bidding and losing again could be even worse (although I've read they plan to get all the money they need to bid from sponsors, so no public money would be wasted). The fact is that, as they said when they lost to Rio two years ago, Madrid would bid again for 2020 or 2024, and that still seems to be the idea.

The problem I find here is that, since Tokyo will probably be the only non-Euro candidate for 2020, with Africa and the USA out of the race, 2020 seems more likely to land in Europe than 2024. What I wouldn't like at all is Madrid skipping 2020, Europe getting 2020 and Madrid bidding for 2024 like for 2016 :unsure:

whats the 2010 and first quarter 2011 economical growth of spain ? is it shrinking like greece or just a slow motion growing it is in?

whats the 2010 and first quarter 2011 economical growth of spain ? is it shrinking like greece or just a slow motion growing it is in?

Almost as bad as Greece, Ireland and Portugal. Fortunately it seems we have managed to escaped from the total disaster and Spain starts to recover now. According to the government (I don't know if it's reliable information...) the Spanish economy will slowly grow during the second half of 2011.

Almost as bad as Greece, Ireland and Portugal. Fortunately it seems we have managed to escaped from the total disaster and Spain starts to recover now. According to the government (I don't know if it's reliable information...) the Spanish economy will slowly grow during the second half of 2011.

0,2 as i found :S

and italy 0,1 :S

greeece 0,8 and its such a ironic one while facing depths and social problems. :S god Eu really has a stand by economy. hard to recover these wounds

0,2 as i found :S

and italy 0,1 :S

With the crisis, Spain and Italy are quite similar economically speaking. None of them can take advantage of this to help them get the Games over the other.

god Eu really has a stand by economy. hard to recover these wounds

But by 2020 we'll be ready for the Olympics ;):lol: :lol:

With the crisis, Spain and Italy are quite similar economically speaking. None of them can take advantage of this to help them get the Games over the other.

But by 2020 we'll be ready for the Olympics ;):lol: :lol:

by 2020 hope euro still stands :D and EU too

lol

With the crisis, Spain and Italy are quite similar economically speaking.

mm.. not really. Spain's economy is more fluctating and exposed to international crisis because of the private debt and the property bubble.

Italy's main issue, the public debt, is strictly related to its historical economic structure and so less vulnerable to market's waves.

Italian economy is stronger than Spain's, but it seems, as experts have already said, that if Spain falls, Italy will be likely to follow. Anyway, I hope things will start to get better now and neither Spain nor Italy nor any other country end up like Greece, Ireland and Portugal.

Italian economy is stronger than Spain's, but it seems, as experts have already said, that if Spain falls, Italy will be likely to follow. Anyway, I hope things will start to get better now and neither Spain nor Italy nor any other country end up like Greece, Ireland and Portugal.

if greece cannot stand till 2012 eu will face the bggest economical crises in its history. i dont give a chance germany and france will let greece bankrupt but long and depressing days waiting for EU in future.

by the way, turkey has the fastest economical growth ( in world) in the first quarter. %11... if u need money or else we can help :P lol

Archived