2020 Applicant Cities - Who will bid?

monorail

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on ! Be serious... the 2004 election was in 1997 ans here you are speaking of an election in 2017... 20 years later !

You will not have benefits from your previous bid....

The comment made was that South Africa's next bid would be the first. That's not true. This isn't ancient history. It's 1997.

And it's not "my" bid. I don't even want South Africa to win.

Durban isn't even a sexy place like Rio or Istanbul. I mean, at least use Cape Town. For years, Cape Town was the place people were trumpeting for the Olympics. Durban? Place Durban anywhere else in the world and they wouldn't get a sniff.

Yeah, & neither was Barcelona before they hosted. It was a run-down industrial town. And precisely Durban being in South Africa is Y they're getting 'sniffed'. I've always said, that an Olympics finally coming to Africa would be more about that aspect than it would be about your typical "glamour capital" somewhere in Europe or far East Asia hosting the Gamee.

And besides, Durban has the better weather in the Olympic time-frame window than Cape Town does, & Durban has nost of the venues already in place. Including their new Olympic-caliber stadium, courtesy of the 2010 FIFA World Cup. And Durban is like the Melbourne of South Africa, sporting wise.

Yeah, & neither was Barcelona before they hosted. It was a run-down industrial town. And precisely Durban being in South Africa is Y they're getting 'sniffed'. I've always said, that an Olympics finally coming to Africa would be more about that aspect than it would be about your typical "glamour capital" somewhere in Europe or far East Asia hosting the Gamee.

It's too bad. I'd always hoped that the World Cup and the Olympics would be held in different places in Africa. Kenya would've been a fantastic place for the Olympics if it was at all possible. Great Olympic history, friendly people and lots of tourist attractions. I don't like the idea of South Africa hogging the Olympics for Africa by default, because no other African country will see another Olympics in my lifetime after SA. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Yeah, but look at how many few options North America has. Two, maybe three at most. Same with Asia, for now. And Australia is only really Australia. So it really shouldn't be South Africa's fault if they're really the only main option for Africa. It is what it is.

There's always Casablanca, if you count that as Africa...

I agree with this, this is exactly how I see things playing out. I just think Asia can wait 28 years. Every other continent other than Europe has had/will have to do it. That might even give enough time to give Southeast Asian countries a chance to bid too, other than going to the predictable Shanghai or Tokyo.

What exactly is stopping Singapore or Kuala Lumpur from bidding now? The former is fairly well developed and the latter is in a Beijing state, if not better...

So I guess Paris really is eyeing the 2024 Games. Talk about a battle of heavyweights if Paris goes up againsu Durban for 2024.

Paris is not officialy eyeing to 2024... that's just journalist ideas !

Paris (or what we call the "Grand Paris" a new project of renovation of Paris including its suburbs' cities) should first of all study how it is possible to include an olympic games plan in its future development. If it is not plan at the beginning of the "grand paris concept" you will never find the room for a winning concept...

And unfortunately at this stage (to date) there is no real plan related to that....

So yes, France in general would not bid for 2020, and probably the NOC will study if there is opportunity for 2024 or 2028.... But even if Paris is the first name that came, it is may be not the winning concept that everyone is looking for...;

Wait and see ! If the French NOC and public authorities are acting intelligently, they will start by the end of the year a feasibility study in order to be finish by 2013 and the election of the new Paris' mayor !

And following the election, following this study, following the updated Grand Paris Plan and following the election for the 2020 games, they would probably think to bid for 2024 or 2028 or later....

So that's not so clear at this stage..... (2024)

There's always Casablanca, if you count that as Africa...

What exactly is stopping Singapore or Kuala Lumpur from bidding now? The former is fairly well developed and the latter is in a Beijing state, if not better...

Singapore lacks the 60,000 seater stadium (although you <i>could</i> upgrade that new stadium their building, but it seems unlikely).

The nation, although wealthy and with numerous existing venues is just too small in size to host, unless there is room to build say a new aquatics centre, velodrome and perhaps a new arena.

Kuala Lumpur is not bidding due to the government's silly notions that the country should wait until it becomes more of a sports powerhouse.

Singapore lacks the 60,000 seater stadium (although you <i>could</i> upgrade that new stadium their building, but it seems unlikely).

The nation, although wealthy and with numerous existing venues is just too small in size to host, unless there is room to build say a new aquatics centre, velodrome and perhaps a new arena.

Kuala Lumpur is not bidding due to the government's silly notions that the country should wait until it becomes more of a sports powerhouse.

Its not silly, they don't want to embarrass themselves as the (you know who) did twice. Then again its a perfect excuse to fund sports.

You mean as in Canada not getting a Gold Medal during their first two Olympics? I'm sure given the opportunity, Malaysia will at least win one gold medal, perhaps in their traditional sports of Badminton or Field Hockey.

The power of the home crowd can do wonders for a nation that rarely wins medals of any kind.

I would be shocked if Toronto hosted before an American city. I just don't see the IOC asking the U.S. to wait for Summer Games beyond 2032 -- unless, of course, something happens with 2022. I think politics and economics will force Toronto to wait for one more American Summer Games.

Regarding 2020 it really does appear to be Rome's to lose.

Tokyo: despite Rogge's protestations, continental rotation will absolutely hamper a Tokyo bid and make it almost impossible for them to win unless they're up against a very weak field.

Madrid: the economy seems prohibitive at this point -- though I'm sure there would be some IOC support.

Istanbul: seems an unlikely choice in the wake of Rio -- a lot of risk, no evidence yet that the bid will have been sufficiently reworked.

Doha: unlikely in the aftermath of their World Cup "victory."

All in all, 2020 is starting to seem like a prime opportunity for the United States to throw their hat in the ring. The whole question is one of timing. Is there enough time left? Is there a city ready to go despite the fact that the USOC has said for the last two years that they wouldn't bid?

Yes, there is Rio 2016, but if the IOC is left with a choice between Rome, Istanbul and SF/LA/NYC/or best of all Chicago -- I can see the U.S. having an excellent shot.

You mean as in Canada not getting a Gold Medal during their first two Olympics? I'm sure given the opportunity, Malaysia will at least win one gold medal, perhaps in their traditional sports of Badminton or Field Hockey.

The power of the home crowd can do wonders for a nation that rarely wins medals of any kind.

Malaysia is not a field hockey power and have never won a gold medal.

I think Chicago is the logical choice for a last minute US bid. Half the work is done, either propose the same or better yet more then what was offered in 2016.

San Francisco is out simply because of their main stadium problem (I doubt they'll offer a temporary one, although the Candlestick Park site could serve as a downsized Olympic Stadium site).

NYC is a no go since they also wouldn't offer a temporary stadium (and where to build it?).

LA might be a conservative choice, but I doubt they could win a 3rd Olympics so soon after London won their 3rd.

Malaysia is not a field hockey power and have never won a gold medal.

They're still a reasonably good side http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_national_field_hockey_team

Like I said, the home field advantage will do wonders. They'll get at least 1 gold medal from it and win say 5 medals in total.

Remember also, that they did bid for 2008, when their CWGs facilities were shining new and they were still in the afterglow of putting on a generally well-regarded games. But that wasn't enough for the IOC to put them through as a candidate - they were dumped (with Bangkok) from the 2008 field.

If Qatar can host a WC in a bunch of villages on a tiny peninsula, surely Singapore could host a city-level event.

If a Western European candidate is awarded the 2020 Olympic Games, then I really wouldn't be surprised if there's a subsequent 16 year drought for Europe. Some people on this thread have suggested its a complete inevitability that Europe will host AGAIN before 2036 (in addition to 2020). Yet Africa, North America and Asia will all be experiencing much longer droughts and if compelling bids from all 3 regions are presented for the 2024/2028/2032 Games, then Europe hosting one of these 3 editions at least would not be a guarantee.

Lets just assume that 2 of the aforementioned regions hosts 2024 and 2028 (which would be likely if Europe hots 2020); and a strong candidate from the other region bids for 2032. So this could result in 3 different races, all of which surely favours the non-Euro candidate:

- USA v Europe; 36 year drought vs just 12 for the world's two foremost Western regions. How could a European candidate defeat a NYC/Chicago/SF/LA bid, considering the USA's importance to IOC revenue, status in the world and, most crucially for 2032, the gap between an American Games when Europe would have hosted 3 since?

- RSA v Europe; If a strong South African candidate like Durban or Cape Town bids for the Olympics in 2032, surely the compelling argument of being "the first Olympics in Africa" would work most effectively against European candidates; most of which wouldn't even be aiming to host the first games in their country.

- Asia v Europe; Asia would already be experiencing a drought of 24 years by 2032; and I really doubt the IOC would allow this to stretch into nearly 3 decades. Asia comprises 60% of the world's population but what differentiates modern Asia to 20th century Asia is that their massive population is supported by an exploding economy and consequently political influence. like it or not, Asia is rapidly catching up to the North Atlantic region in global importance; and the IOC would surely recognise the potential for the Games growth in the region. The Olympics brand is not going to achieve anymore growth in Europe however, so I really doubt 3 Olympics will be held in Europe before the next Asian host.

of course, all of this actually requires strong candidates actually being presented; but they do exist so I'm just sayin' that Europe hosting again before 2036 should they win in 2020 is hardly an inevitability.

Not really, they can host since they have the modern venue, but since it's under IOC capacity, they will have to expand it. No if's or buts, either expand or build a new one, which of course is unlikely.

I can see Singapore hosting a Commonwealth Games or Asian Games, they got some Olympics feel and experience from hosting that Youth Olympics last year.

Archived