2020 Applicant Cities - Who will bid?

monorail

Ok, the deadline for a country's National Olympic Committee to submit a bid is September 1, 2011. 3 months away. The deadline is quickly approaching.

sooooooooooooooooooooo

Let's discuss it!

How many cities do you think will bid?

Which cities?

Out of that list, which do you believe will be shortlisted?

Will the 2020 race be just as competitive as 2012 or 2016?

There are a lot of economies around the world that are struggling and causing problems. Will this effect the # of bids we get this time around even though the IOC expects a lot.

These are just some of the questions I'd like to pose to start of this thread.

Enjoy!!!

I always love the start of a new bid cycle. :)

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2020 probably be a small field that will not require a short list.

My guess: 3 bids

Rome, Tokyo and Doha and a surprise bidder out of no where (Budapest, France maybe??, Delhi, Kuala Lumpur, Rabat, Shanghai?)

Winner: Rome.

Bidders:

Rome

Tokyo

Madrid

Istanbul

Throw in a few unexpected bids

Winner:Rome or Istanbul, mayybe Madrid

I think the combination of the economic crisis and bids from countries being rejected in the past (i.e. USA) will keep the field small, but I guess we'll see when the bids start being announced.

PS. I think if Paris bid they would have a really good shot, ooh, Paris v. Rome showdown would be nice!

Don't we already have a thread on this?

Anyway, the IOC seem to be expecting 10 bids (as mentioned on the other 2020 field thread). Not sure if they'll make it, but there usually are a few surprises that come up around applicant time. Stay tuned.

Anyway, the IOC seem to be expecting 10 bids (as mentioned on the other 2020 field thread). Not sure if they'll make it, but there usually are a few surprises that come up around applicant time. Stay tuned.

Yeah I noticed on the 2nd page there were threads. Oh well! Here's a brand new fresh one. 3 month countdown.

I don't think Rome is the clear frontrunner. All the potential shortlisted cities have a great shot at winning. However, after the earthquake and tsunami, I wonder how far Tokyo can go in this race. The country should focus on rebuilding and their economy is in shambles now. I doubt they will win. I could see an underdog like Istanbul even winning. This is why I definitely think Toronto will be entering the race. This will be the easiest they will ever get it. I could see a Rome vs. Toronto on the final ballot

I cannot see Doha biding (if they do they will likely buy votes :lol:)

Seriously, with all the fraud allegations coming out hard to believe they would bid. Same with Dubai who is having financial problems and has no sporting tradition at all.

Hobart will not bid and would simply be laughed at by the IOC. This profit driven bid is not really a good idea and in the highly unlikely chance they do make it to the Candidate stage (which would be thanks to a low field of bidding nations and/or the IOC just teasing us making us actually have to do more work!), they will come last.

Melbourne will bid for 2024! :P

Doha could have had a chance to make the Candidate stage in 2020 based on the whole incident of 2016, but thanks to these bribery allegations, it seems that the 2022 WC will be the only major sporting event they'll in the near future.

:huh: No American City???

Surely after 24 years their OSG turn is due.

I'm amazed at the lack of enthusisim of candidate citys out there. OK, the 2012 bids were during the turn of the century boom times, but 2020 seems to have a significance to them. The dawn of a new and, hopefully, more prosperous decade. America should have been re-born into the great nation it once was in the late twentieth century...anyway:

Probibly

Rome

Hiroshima

Madrid

Istambul

Possibly

Toronto

Abu Dhabi

Maybe

United States Candidate City

Melbourne

Kuala Lumpa

Unlikely

New Delhi

Durban

Doha

Final Three

Rome

Hiroshima

Winner

Rome

I'm amazed at the lack of enthusisim of candidate citys out there. OK, the 2012 bids were during the turn of the century boom times, but 2020 seems to have a significance to them. The dawn of a new and, hopefully, more prosperous decade. America should have been re-born into the great nation it once was in the late twentieth century...anyway:

Probibly

Rome

Hiroshima

Madrid

Istambul

Possibly

Toronto

Abu Dhabi

Maybe

Melbourne

Kuala Lumpa

Unlikely

New Delhi

Durban

Doha

Final Three

Rome

Hiroshima

Winner

Rome

If 2 of the best American cities offered to them have been smacked down by the IOC, why should they get a 3rd chance? They'll only come running when the till will be empty.

:( Yeah 'suppose...Pity California is broke, would've loved to see San Fransisco or San Diego front up. And what of those hope bidders from Minnisota?

The only way I see an American city entering the race is if Munich or Annecy wins the 2018 Winter Olympics. If that happens, I think it's unlikely that 2020 will go to Europe, as that would have Europe hosting 4 of the 5 Olympics from 2012-2020. Given the relatively weak field and the problems associated with Tokyo's bid, I think an American city might have a decent chance at winning. The problem, though, is that I'm not sure which American cities would even want to bid at this point given the economic problems in the U.S. and the dumping of Chicago's 2016 bid by the IOC. Chicago and New York are unlikely to bid again, and I don't think a Los Angeles bid would have much of a chance at winning. There aren't many other American cities that are even capable of hosting, let alone winning--maybe San Francisco or Seattle? I know a lot of people thought Washington, D.C./Baltimore should have been the U.S. candidate city for 2012, but both of those cities have massive crime and poverty issues to deal with. After Atlanta, I doubt the IOC will go to any city in the American South.

Ultimately, I think the U.S. is much more likely to get the Winter Olympics in either 2022 or 2026. The U.S. will probably have to wait until the 2030s (at least) before they get another Summer Games.

It looks like Madrid's bid is going to be pretty likely. Just read an article today that says the Spanish Olympic Committee will approve a Madrid bid for 2020 if the city decides to bid, which is very probable. Who knows..third time's the charm?

Here's the article, it's en español

MADRID, 1 (EUROPA PRESS)

El Comité Ejecutivo del Comité Olímpico Español (COE) aprobará la presentación de Madrid como candidata nacional para los Juegos Olímpicos de 2020, si la capital de España así lo decide en las próximas semanas.

Así lo decidieron por unanimidad los miembros de la Asamblea General Ordinaria, reunidos este miércoles en la sede del COE en Madrid, a propuesta del presidente de dicho organismo, Alejandro Blanco.

Alejandro Blanco explicó que el alcalde de Madrid, Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón, debe tomar una decisión sobre presentar o no a la capital a la carrera olímpica antes del 29 de julio.

Por ello, y ante la dificultad de convocar una asamblea para el mes de julio, la Asamblea decidió depositar su confianza en el Ejecutivo para aprobar la candidatura madrileña.

De presentarse Madrid como posible sede olímpica para 2020, éste sería el tercer intento de la capital española para organizar unos Juegos, tras no lograrlo con los proyectos de 2012 y 2016.

It looks like Madrid's bid is going to be pretty likely. Just read an article today that says the Spanish Olympic Committee will approve a Madrid bid for 2020 if the city decides to bid, which is very probable. Who knows..third time's the charm?

Here's the article, it's en español

Isn't Spain drowning in a debt crisis? They shouldn't bid.

Isn't Spain drowning in a debt crisis? They shouldn't bid.

So is Italy - that's not stopping them.

I see the 2020 Games as a the German SOG: Regardless of whether it is in Madrid or Rome, it will be financed and paid for by Germany.

Archived