Maracana reached 66% of conclusion today

obras_maracana_div.jpg_60.jpg

According to the engeneers, Maracana is 16 days ahead in the schedule.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/copa-do-mundo/noticia/2012/09/durante-visita-da-fifa-governo-diz-que-reforma-do-maracana-esta-66-concluida.html (Portuguese only, sorry)

The lack of rain might have helped the works in the last two months.

The stadium will be re-opened in February 28th, 2013.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Among them: Rio's Olympic Swimming Center Rio's Olympic Velodrome Rio's Olympic Tennis Arena Better picture of Rio's Velodrome, in the shape of a cyclist helmut

Renders of Olympic and Paralympic Village unveiled. All condos will be sold after the games Details of the bathrooms Private Beach in Praia da Reserva, near Olympic Village

More at night WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before questions, there is nobody seated in the left side, that's why both LCD big screens are turned off to save energy - ecofriendly stuff... AND THIS

It's a compromise for both. The field is smaller than ceremony producers are used to, but the pitch is further away from the stands than football fans would normally want (certainly in this country anyway, there's no way you'd build a football stadium from scratch like the Maracana).

Still, it's the history and architecture that makes this stadium what it is.

I must agree with you, Victor, still, my final comment on this issue will be done after all mess be removed from the pitch area.

I'm not the only one Dannyel after all.

Maybe they can block 4,000 seats and put athletes/officials there. THe rest can be in the infield.

It will all depend on what they are thinking for the "artisitic" part of the ceremony.

But, for the public, I think this ceremonies will be more special, with the spetacle happening just in front of their eyes.

Looks exciting for football matches but I have doubts if it's a good size for the olympic ceremonies.

Actually, a smaller field than a T&F pitch is better. You don't need as many performers to fill the field. The nations don't have to 'go around the track;" and with its many underground passages under the field now, entrances & exits of the performers will be quicker. And with an experienced hand like Ric Birch at the helm, they will find ways to make the size work.

The only problem is the Closing. With the pitch there for the football finals, they will NOT be able to rehearse Closing thoroughly, PLUS I don't know if there's enough time to remove the turf again so that they can use the trapdoors, etc.

Actually, a smaller field than a T&F pitch is better. You don't need as many performers to fill the field. The nations don't have to 'go around the track;" and with its many underground passages under the field now, entrances & exits of the performers will be quicker. And with an experienced hand like Ric Birch at the helm, they will find ways to make the size work.

The only problem is the Closing. With the pitch there for the football finals, they will NOT be able to rehearse Closing thoroughly, PLUS I don't know if there's enough time to remove the turf again so that they can use the trapdoors, etc.

Of course they will have time! Besides, the pitch for the football finals in 2016 is similiar to the London Olympic Stadium pitch...They have many entrances and exits and certainly they will find a way...

Of course they will have time! Besides, the pitch for the football finals in 2016 is similiar to the London Olympic Stadium pitch...They have many entrances and exits and certainly they will find a way...

They do? How? The women's finals are usually the last Saturday. The men's are sometimes in the A.M. of the Closing day. It usually takes about 22 hours to lay a turf with all hands on deck. I don't see how it's any less to remove it...not unless they just remove the ones covering the trapdoors and exits and just lay over the turf. But then again, like London, they needed some 20 hours to cover that turf, set up the stage, and a few hours to at least do a quick techical rehearsal. And they had a good 24 hours to do it. How can Rio do it with a football match in the a.m.?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

They do? How? The women's finals are usually the last Saturday. The men's are sometimes in the A.M. of the Closing day. It usually takes about 22 hours to lay a turf with all hands on deck. I don't see how it's any less to remove it...not unless they just remove the ones covering the trapdoors and exits and just lay over the turf. But then again, like London, they needed some 20 hours to cover that turf, set up the stage, and a few hours to at least do a quick techical rehearsal. And they had a good 24 hours to do it. How can Rio do it with a football match in the a.m.?

Maybe they don´t need 20h to cover the turf...or maybe they will use a different kind of stage or even they won´t use any stage...I don´t know, but I´m sure the will find a way..they must to!

You are wrong. London women were Friday and Men were Saturday.

• Like 1

I think with companies already hired for the ceremonies, they must be thinking about all the logistics since now...

First they have to nail down the concepts, themes and general narratives. Then those have to be presented to the IOC and the IPC. The logistics are considered somewhere along there.

• Like 1

Renders of Olympic and Paralympic Village unveiled.

548525_10151171749034111_1560625987_n.jpg

3832_10151171748024111_361024377_n.jpg

199379_10151171748339111_1049888014_n.jpg

251021_10151171748479111_191434283_n.jpg

262824_10151171748634111_678070506_n.jpg

486758_10151171748969111_1302728393_n.jpg

All condos will be sold after the games

Details of the bathrooms

534242_10151171748174111_1295006893_n.jpg

Private Beach in Praia da Reserva, near Olympic Village

429256_10151171804464111_1029008113_n.jpg

• Like 3

Do you need a car to really see Rio? Is driving around Brazill easy?

1 - No and yes.... To see the famous iconic touristic spots you really don't need a car. Buses and taxis are enough to navigate the Barra-South Zone-Downtown Area.

But if you want to visit the more desert beaches inside Rio's city, visit go to some historic towns nearby like Paraty, Petropolis or even extend a bit and visit the Lagoons Region of Rio state where you have some heavenly-like spots, a car is a good choice.

2 - Drive in Brazil can be an adventure to those used to the "first world" way of driving, specially in Rio.

Every single Brazilian thinks they are Ayrton Senna, so people like to speed and brake suddenly in Photographic Speedtraps. You must be careful to cross red signs after late night, since people really don't respect it.

Also, blinkers are not often used by some drivers. And some signs in Rio are placed after the curves you are supposed to turn...

But, it takes 1 hour to you to get used with Brazilian way of driving. It's not as crazy as it sounds.

Just think we are a bit more Italian than Italians driving - like a dutch friend of me said once.