Works in Progress

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please, if you come, let us know. We are planning to make some GBidders meeting in Rio to celebrate the games South-American way!

The same is valid to any of our friends here who are planing to come to Rio in 2016!

Cool! I vote for a Mankini party on Copacabana beach!

Cool! I vote for a Mankini party on Copacabana beach!

Be sure you guys in the party will be THE attraction in the beach ;)

Rob, he called you a "MIss"!! :(

Ok, it's mistress, sorry! :rolleyes::P:D;)

Maracana will be gray now like in the original project made in 1947...

There is curious history about the blue color.

In 1950, they said they would paint the stadium with the colours of the World Champions of 1950... Uruguay won and they painted it blue and white. This history is controversal since some also defend the colors are just the colors of Rio de Janeiro state flag (the same colors of Uruguay flag).

rio IS party central!

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure, I am not even at work right now, I am in a middle of a crazy party with lots of unknows around me and hot 'chicks'.

While it is understandable that Rio is considered a 'party' city. Night life here is not exactly exciting, compared to, for example, Sao Paulo. We are much more daylight than night.

Obviously, when it comes to Carnaval and New Year´s Eve, it is totally different, but normally there aren´t many options available (which doesn´t mean there aren´t options, but much less than what people imagine).

It won't be rebuild, but some works will be done, for example, to place a cauldron inside/around the stadium. To place all wires in the roof for "flying things" during the ceremonies and this kind of stuff...

It's a six-month only period... No big refurbshments in the structure will be done.

I knew that, but considered this is the 3rd rebuilding in less than 15 years (although the other 2 were more on the cosmetic size), you and I know pretty well they are very creative to add a necessity to make another makeover for 2016.

For the record, Maracana was partially closed in 1999 and 2006, with another one earlier in 1992 due to security reasons.

I knew that, but considered this is the 3rd rebuilding in less than 15 years (although the other 2 were more on the cosmetic size), you and I know pretty well they are very creative to add a necessity to make another makeover for 2016.

For the record, Maracana was partially closed in 1999 and 2006, with another one earlier in 1992 due to security reasons.

You are mixing things...

One thing is to close to make works on the stadium (structural), other thing is to close the stadium to arrange it to Olympic Ceremonies...

Despite of this, you are, at this very moment, only being pessimistic - you have the right to. But wait before throwing your rocks. Maybe the World Cup reform is pretty enough, structurally speaking, for the Olympic Games... Add to this FIFA requirements for World Cup are far more strictly than IOC's ones.

Interesting to see how biased was that report from The Sun talking about how Rio is way behind London four years ahead of the Games... Not exactly what we can see comparing the venues with this video of the Stratford Olympic Park made in October 2008:

I wouldn't wipe my arse with the Sun, and that report was indeed over the top. Let's not use their article as a starting point...

But there does seem to be a level of concern within the IOC Inspection Teams around Rio that wasn't present when they were carrying out their inspections in either London or Beijing. i don't think that can be denied. El Moutawakel's and Rogge's recent words seem to indicate that quite clearly.

Arbitrarily comparing pictures of London's embyonic Olympic Park and the Rio venues which are under contruction (and there are many that aren't) hardly proves anything. The IOC knew that the London venues would be ready nearly a year in advance of our Games, that was the construction schedule set out and that's what happened. They also knew the infrastructure in and around the city was pretty muich already in place.

Can they say the same about Rio in 2012?

Rio's project, from what I've read, seems to be a much bigger job of getting the whole city ready. That goes well beyond just venues and includes transportation, hotels. etc. Did I read somewhere that Rio is planning over 200 infrastructure projects before 2016 to be Olympic-ready? That's a lot for the IOC to keep an eye on, and much harder for an OC to co-ordinate than the one big project London had. I've also read that Rio is still finialising its venue plan and budget, something London had done more than five years out (in early 2007).

I'm not saying Rio's doing poorly, or defending the Sun (spit) article becuase it was poor; but it does seem Rio is a little behind where the IOC would like them to be.

This is probably a better starting point for debate than what Murdoch's cronies produced:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2016/17208-qall-the-spotlight-will-be-on-rio-soonq-el-moutawakel-warns-

(^) That isn't the point though both Games appear to be at the same level four years out.

How is that not the point? I'm sorry for wasting your time by actually putting into context why such "appearences" don't tell the whole story, and why both Games aren't at the same level four years out.

And nor, by the way, have I said anything which hasn't already been confirmed by the Brazilians posting here. I'm not being unduly harsh. Only a few pages back Danny was saying he thought the contruction schedules would be tight but that Brazil always gets things done on time in the end - that's quite different from London where four years out there was near certainty the venues would be ready a year in advance. He also confirmed that the final budget for works hadn't been confirmed - again, that's about a year behind where London was. I think the IOC would probably like to be in a more certain position on both these things, for example.

So if you want to argue purely on "appearences", by looking at pictures of muddy ground in Stratford for example, fine. But there's more to it than that. A lot more. I haven't even mentioned the hotel construction Rio has to do which London didn't need to do, for example.

As I've said, the Sun article was a bad starting point for this discussion, but that doesn't mean the opposite extreme has to be taken when discussing Rio's preparations.

How is that not the point? I'm sorry for wasting your time by actually putting into context why such "appearences" don't tell the whole story, and why both Games aren't at the same level four years out.

And nor, by the way, have I said anything which hasn't already been confirmed by the Brazilians posting here. I'm not being unduly harsh. Only a few pages back Danny was saying he thought the contruction schedules would be tight but that Brazil always gets things done on time in the end - that's quite different from London where four years out there was near certainty the venues would be ready a year in advance. He also confirmed that the final budget for works hadn't been confirmed - again, that's about a year behind where London was. I think the IOC would probably like to be in a more certain position on both these things, for example.

So if you want to argue purely on "appearences", by looking at pictures of muddy ground in Stratford for example, fine. But there's more to it than that. A lot more. I haven't even mentioned the hotel construction Rio has to do which London didn't need to do, for example.

As I've said, the Sun article was a bad starting point for this discussion, but that doesn't mean the opposite extreme has to be taken when discussing Rio's preparations.

Comparing the October 2008 London and now of Rio is the point. Both at that time were the same for the Olympic Park. Your rambling about everything else is nice but not the point.

Sorry for letting the facts get in the way of your 'argument'. :o

You're making the most narrow of comparisons! My "ramblings" encompass things beside certain venues - including infrastructure, accommodation, budgets, hotels, transportation, organisational strcutures etc.

Why should comparing London in 2008 and Rio in 2012 preclude talking about these things? Do you not think they concern the IOC?

Based on those things I think RIo is a year (at the most) behind where London and Beijing were with certain aspects of their preparations. That doesn't mean they're "way behind" as the Sun claims, but nor are they at the same point in their preparations compared with these cities.

I do think Rio is ahead in some points and behind in many other. This is a kind of stupid comparision we will never get a final conclusion...

Meanwhile, at this point (4 years before the games) London was placing the first things on their Olympic Stadium, Rio is way ahead. About transportation, London had all done, Rio is working a lot to build 4 new BRT lines, a new subway line, refurbshing the airport, upgrading the Elevado do JoĂ¡ (South Zone-Barra Highway)...

We will never get a conclusion.

About IOC, they didn't made statements about worries... Only saying: it's time to start the Olympic Park. They asked, two weeks later the bureaucratic problem about this was solved. The Olympic IS UNDER WORKS BY NOW.

What makes me sad it how British media always treat Brazil...

British MUST BE proud of their games. It was unforgettable and fantastic. It will be always remembered as perfect games in terms of organization.

But British press should let the 2016 games to Brazilians and stop comparing games that already was with games that will be...

Rio games will be made South-American, Brazil and carioca way (with the good and the bad things this means), not Euro-British.

"No works will be needed for the Olympic Games"

"We already building structure in the stadium to the Olympic Ceremonies, to allow carnaval floats to enter the stadium easily"

- Icaro Moreno, president of Rio Public Works Company, the responsible for the Maracana refurbshment

http://globotv.globo.com/rede-globo/rjtv-2a-edicao/v/maracana-deve-estar-pronto-para-a-copa-em-seis-meses/2117250/

The report made with him in Maracana.

Rio will be ready. Of course the media is going to play coverage in line with Athens, and even London received some heat in the months leading up to the Games. In the end, you can't compare London and Rio. They are too completely different animals, so it is not really worth getting heated over it.

Archived